The Student Room Group

"I study at the University of London"

My friend and I met a girl at a bar, cue small talk and later on we asked what she studies. She says studies Financial Engineering. When we inquired where, she said the line in the topic title. Coming from UCL and LSE, we both knew what that means...

Seriously, who does she think we are? We're both uni students in London, it's pretty likely we're in UoL too.

Scroll to see replies

Huh, what's the problem? Not every London uni is part of the umbrella of 'University of London'. Sorry, I'm probably missing the point.
Reply 2
Well did you follow up and ask her what college?

There are a lot of constituents if the UoL and if she's at one of the lesser known colleges sometimes it can just be easier to say UoL to avoid a blank look.

Or she could be embarrassed about not going to one of the more prestigious colleges, which I think is what you're assuming and you have a superioty complex.
Although all a bit egotistical. I know what OP means I think. I study at the University of Nottingham. I often encounter people from Nottingham Trent who when you ask where they study they say 'Nottingham'.

Personally I couldn't care less though.
Reply 4
Original post by MasterSnake
Although all a bit egotistical. I know what OP means I think. I study at the University of Nottingham. I often encounter people from Nottingham Trent who when you ask where they study they say 'Nottingham'.

haha yeah that's why whenever someone says they're studying at Notts I always follow up with
'Trent?'
always pisses them off
Reply 5
Much catchier to say that than:

"I study at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine", no?

(as an example. Before all of the TSR trolls jump up and down and point out that the OP was talking about a financial student.)
Original post by hslakaal
Much catchier to say that than:

"I study at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine", no?

(as an example. Before all of the TSR trolls jump up and down and point out that the OP was talking about a financial student.)

There is a UoL uni called London school of business n finance. Its easier to say UoL cos most ppl wudnt hav heard of it
Reply 7
Original post by bluebell100
There is a UoL uni called London school of business n finance. Its easier to say UoL cos most ppl wudnt hav heard of it

Okay... That's what I've said with a different college as an example? :confused:
Original post by Minotauro
haha yeah that's why whenever someone says they're studying at Notts I always follow up with
'Trent?'
always pisses them off

Some more than others. I don't think the vast majority care.

Except as far as I am aware LSBF, a private college, doesn't offer London University degrees.
I come from UCL but I don't know what you mean.

Surely when she said 'University of London' you could ask her which college she was at?

Not all universities in London are part of the University of London.

She could have just said it because her college hasn't got as much prestige/as well known as some other colleges, so she just said university of London.

Also it wasn't such a long time ago that universities such as LSE and UCL could put their actual names on the degrees instead of just University of London. I'm not sure if other universities still do that though. Apparently it was one of the reasons Imperial left?
Crazy thought here, but maybe she doesn't hang out with other students but regular people? I daresay most people at uni in London have a wide mixture of friends.
Original post by MasterSnake

Same with Cardiff.
A quick google suggests that the only UoL school offering a full course called Financial Engineering is Birkbeck: http://www.ems.bbk.ac.uk/courses/msc_pgdip/msc_fin_eng

That is a constituent college of the University of London (this as opposed to its being only a university that is in London). But, and while it's rather a good institution, the Birkbeck name is sufficiently little recognised that for pubbing and clubbing purposes 'University of London' is a convenient shorthand that is probably better understood on the whole than would be 'Birkbeck College'.
Reply 14
Ok, I'm going to sound like an idiot. What exactly is the University of London? Does it just mean that you're a uni student that studies in London, from any institute, or does it stand for a specific group (perhaps the better uni's in London, such as UCL, King's, LSE, Imperial)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Voovist
Ok, I'm going to sound like an idiot. What exactly is the University of London? Does it just mean that you're a uni student that studies in London, from any institute, or does it stand for a specific group (perhaps the better uni's in London, such as UCL, King's, LSE, Imperial)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

University of London is a group of London unis that fall under the same name. Usually people just say they go to UCL, Kings or whatever when asked what uni they go to. But for some its just easier to say "Uni of London" as their uni may be less well known or prestigious.
It doesnt include all London universities though, the full list can be found here:

http://www.london.ac.uk/colleges_institutes.html
:smile:
Reply 16

Lsbf is not a uni. It's not part of uol either. it is a private college based in London, as well as Birmingham and Manchester
Reply 17
Original post by Mother_Russia

Also it wasn't such a long time ago that universities such as LSE and UCL could put their actual names on the degrees instead of just University of London. I'm not sure if other universities still do that though. Apparently it was one of the reasons Imperial left?

I thought Imperial left (among other reasons) because they couldn't award their own degrees, since then King's, UCL and the LSE have been allowed to award their own degrees while the others can only award a degree from UoL.
the University of London is one of those grey areas. particularly abroad, UoL might be more recognisable than some of the smaller/lesser known constituent colleges.
Original post by RtGOAT
I thought Imperial left (among other reasons) because they couldn't award their own degrees, since then King's, UCL and the LSE have been allowed to award their own degrees while the others can only award a degree from UoL.

Yeah, sorry that's what I meant. Before universities such as LSE, UCL and Imperial could only put University of London on their degrees, which wouldn't differentiate them from other less prestigious colleges that are part of the University of London. So Imperial left (amongst other reasons of course) so that they could. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending