The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Law Firmers - York

Just a thread to get to know those firming York for Law.

I like the look of Goodricke and it is really near the Law School. However Langwith is brand spanking new so that is also appealing!

If you are firming or about to firm York feel free to drop a comment and introduce yourself.

Scroll to see replies

I've also firmed York for Law :biggrin:

I thought both Goodricke and Langwith were on Heslington East so both incredibly close to the law building? I'll hopefully end up in either of those, even if people do claim it's more quiet than the other campus.
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by dapensadler
I've also firmed York for Law :biggrin:

I thought both Goodricke and Langwith were on Heslington East so both incredibly close to the law building? I'll hopefully end up in either of those, even if people do claim it's more quiet than the other campus.

They are but I think Langwith is more expensive but has nicer rooms and better ensuites.

What A levels are you doing?
Original post by SimpleTom
They are but I think Langwith is more expensive but has nicer rooms and better ensuites.

What A levels are you doing?

I'll probably just figure it all out if I get in, I just know for sure I want to be on Heslington East with my accommodation

Maths, Further Maths, English lit and History, you?
Reply 4
I'll probably just figure it all out if I get in, I just know for sure I want to be on Heslington East with my accommodation

Maths, Further Maths, English lit and History, you?

Economics, Philosophy and Ethics, Geography, and completed my EPQ last year.

So worried that I won't make the grades - our school does a two year a level system so we are doing AS & A2 now - I have to relearn everything from last year! Will only have a week and a half for A2 and really doubt I will get AAA :frown:

I originally disliked York but it is strange - I now am in love with the place haha.
Economics, Philosophy and Ethics, Geography, and completed my EPQ last year.

So worried that I won't make the grades - our school does a two year a level system so we are doing AS & A2 now - I have to relearn everything from last year! Will only have a week and a half for A2 and really doubt I will get AAA :frown:

I originally disliked York but it is strange - I now am in love with the place haha.

I'm worried I won't make the grades, I have 7 exams :frown: 4 of which are maths

I always adored York - I visited with my brother when I was 15 and have wanted to go there ever since :biggrin:

Where else did you apply?
Reply 6
I'm worried I won't make the grades, I have 7 exams :frown: 4 of which are maths

I always adored York - I visited with my brother when I was 15 and have wanted to go there ever since :biggrin:

Warwick, Exeter, Sussex

Got rejected a couple of weeks ago by LSE :frown:
Reply 7

But my attitude now, is just to work as hard as I can, whatever happens, happens!

And even if we get AAB, I am pretty sure York will accept us - I know someone who does Law there, and she said very few people actually got a straight set of AAA's even though the Law professor said that only a small percentage get in with lowered grades.
I hope they'll let us in with lower grades, but this year there was such an increase in applications, I'm not sure :/

I applied to Oxford, Warwick, QMUL and Cardiff. Rejected by Oxford after interview, then rejected by Warwick a few weeks ago. Cardiff is my insurance :smile:
Reply 9
I hope they'll let us in with lower grades, but this year there was such an increase in applications, I'm not sure :/

I applied to Oxford, Warwick, QMUL and Cardiff. Rejected by Oxford after interview, then rejected by Warwick a few weeks ago. Cardiff is my insurance :smile:

How do you know there has been an increase in applications? I was the only one from my school to apply for straight Law haha.
How do you know there has been an increase in applications? I was the only one from my school to apply for straight Law haha.

They said so at the open day when I went for my interview.

There were about 5 in my school who did, none of them went for York though
Reply 11
They said so at the open day when I went for my interview.

There were about 5 in my school who did, none of them went for York though

Well presumably they would give out the same amount of offers and reject the others (hopefully!)

Summer is going to be a horrible wait!

Did you do a 4th AS, fortunately I got an A in EPQ, so hopefully that allows me to get a B in an A2, as the A in EPQ wasn't required for my offer.

My insurance will also have to be AAA, as all my offers are the same, so basically if York don't accept me I am not going to UNI :frown:

A worrying thought!
Well presumably they would give out the same amount of offers and reject the others (hopefully!)

Summer is going to be a horrible wait!

Did you do a 4th AS, fortunately I got an A in EPQ, so hopefully that allows me to get a B in an A2, as the A in EPQ wasn't required for my offer.

My insurance will also have to be AAA, as all my offers are the same, so basically if York don't accept me I am not going to UNI :frown:

A worrying thought!

I'm doing 4 A2s, I already have a-levels in general studies (B) and maths (A*), so hopefully they'll let me in with A*ABBB or something like that

My insurance, Cardiff, offered me AAB/ABBB so I hopefully should be going to uni this year

I don't think my sixth form, offers the EPQ, not that I would've done it anyway - too much hassle for me xD
Reply 13
I'm doing 4 A2s, I already have a-levels in general studies (B) and maths (A*), so hopefully they'll let me in with A*ABBB or something like that

My insurance, Cardiff, offered me AAB/ABBB so I hopefully should be going to uni this year

I don't think my sixth form, offers the EPQ, not that I would've done it anyway - too much hassle for me xD

Ah sweet - you are in a decent position with the A*, half way there!

I dropped maths 6 months in, didn't even do it for AS. iGCSE - didn't revise - got 94% average. A-Level - put hours of work in and average 50% in tests :s-smilie: Where is the logic!! So well done on getting the A* haha
Hey Guys, thought I'd pop up and offer to answer any questions you have about York Uni and the Law course, I am coming to the end of my first year and I've enjoyed it immensely. I also live in Langwith and have been around Goodricke a lot, so any questions about accommodation I'll do my best to answer
Ah sweet - you are in a decent position with the A*, half way there!

I dropped maths 6 months in, didn't even do it for AS. iGCSE - didn't revise - got 94% average. A-Level - put hours of work in and average 50% in tests :s-smilie: Where is the logic!! So well done on getting the A* haha

I just really, really want to go to York, I'm worrying myself silly despite being in a good position!

Thank you :smile: I really struggled with maths at the start but just worked my ass off until it clicked
Reply 16
Original post by Alkain1607
Hey Guys, thought I'd pop up and offer to answer any questions you have about York Uni and the Law course, I am coming to the end of my first year and I've enjoyed it immensely. I also live in Langwith and have been around Goodricke a lot, so any questions about accommodation I'll do my best to answer

If you had to choose between Goodricke and Langwith (putting loyalty aside) which one would you pick?

Also do you know a girl called Beckie by any chance?
Reply 17
I just really, really want to go to York, I'm worrying myself silly despite being in a good position!

Thank you :smile: I really struggled with maths at the start but just worked my ass off until it clicked

Same! I am worrying so much, although unlike you I am not in a good position :P 12 exams, all AS+A2, haven't even looked at anything to do with A2 yet, only going to get a week and a half to revise the whole of the A2 syllabus :s.

I am not even religious but it will be a miracle if I get AAA
If you had to choose between Goodricke and Langwith (putting loyalty aside) which one would you pick?

Also do you know a girl called Beckie by any chance?

There's quite a few Beckie's :L I would probably choose Langwith, the buildings are newer and the houses available are worth it! Unfortunately I'm not sure how the Uni will allocate University accommodation this year, last year they sent out emails in batches so it was pot luck on what accommodation was available
Reply 19
Original post by Alkain1607
There's quite a few Beckie's :L I would probably choose Langwith, the buildings are newer and the houses available are worth it! Unfortunately I'm not sure how the Uni will allocate University accommodation this year, last year they sent out emails in batches so it was pot luck on what accommodation was available

I will choose Langwith, I like newer stuff haha. Her name is Beckie English, she also does Law in your year. Met her through a friend at York who went to my current school as was in the year above.

Anyhow, York is officially firmed so all I need to do now is get the grades - do you know roughly how many people got AAA or above - and if getting AAB would severely damage our chances of getting a place - baring in mind I have an A in EPQ as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending