The Student Room Group

Underactive Thyroid??

So for a long while, I have always been sensitive to the cold even in the warm weather.. However, always thought that was just me tbh.. I have always been a bit moody I guess and sometimes snap over small things and can feel down alot at times... I have also put on a stone in weight in past year and a bit but when try and loose it, I just have trouble to loose it where before I can usually loose weight quite quickly.. My periods have always been irregular but now they are becoming more irregular, since didn't come at all in February or April.. I also have been every now and again get back ache which usually is just from a muscle on the right side of my back.. But thought that was due to work... I also have had trouble sleeping for quite a few years and a majority of time when wake up from 8-10 hours sleep, I still feel very tired... But I just thought I was lazy. I have always looked pale as well... My skin is quite dry and has been for years but just thought was just dry skin..

Due to the fact now of my lack of periods, I have been worried tbh.. But been looking on Internet and came across the underactive thyroid.. When I look now, it seems to make sense with sensitivity to coldness and everything else I mentioned.. It also mentions about starting puberty early on nhs website about this condition and tbh I did start very early... (Sorry if tmi) Does it seem like I have an underactive thyroid?? How serious is this condition as well?? I know it can be sorted with medication at least... :/

Just wondering, if anyone else can give some information about it?? Or does anyone on this forum have this condition?? It'll be helpful since right now, I dunno what to expect..

Thanks to anyone who reads this

Jammie x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Go to see your doctor, because it could be anything. Having PCOS would explain the lack of periods and weight gain, for example. Have you ever noticed that when somebody coughs then everyone else does, or talking about headlice makes people scratch their heads? You know the symptoms, so it's a common thing that people try to diagnose themselves and make them fit. I'm not saying you don't have it, but from such a vague list of symptoms you can't be sure.

I was diagnosed as having an underactive thyroid in 2007. Since then, I've had to have yearly blood tests and take tablets every day :sad: But other than that I don't really think about it. It's not something that defines my life. If it's treated then it's not really serious, but if it isn't then there can be problems in the future - but overmedicating is bad, too.

And it's ultimatemoneysaving as you get free prescriptions!
hey,

i have the exact same symptoms but just thought i was lazy etc too.

go to the doctors to get a checkup, i went for my blood tests today. it only takes a week max to find out
Reply 3
Original post by Jammie_x
So for a long while, I have always been sensitive to the cold even in the warm weather.. However, always thought that was just me tbh.. I have always been a bit moody I guess and sometimes snap over small things and can feel down alot at times... I have also put on a stone in weight in past year and a bit but when try and loose it, I just have trouble to loose it where before I can usually loose weight quite quickly.. My periods have always been irregular but now they are becoming more irregular, since didn't come at all in February or April.. I also have been every now and again get back ache which usually is just from a muscle on the right side of my back.. But thought that was due to work... I also have had trouble sleeping for quite a few years and a majority of time when wake up from 8-10 hours sleep, I still feel very tired... But I just thought I was lazy. I have always looked pale as well... My skin is quite dry and has been for years but just thought was just dry skin..

Due to the fact now of my lack of periods, I have been worried tbh.. But been looking on Internet and came across the underactive thyroid.. When I look now, it seems to make sense with sensitivity to coldness and everything else I mentioned.. It also mentions about starting puberty early on nhs website about this condition and tbh I did start very early... (Sorry if tmi) Does it seem like I have an underactive thyroid?? How serious is this condition as well?? I know it can be sorted with medication at least... :/

Just wondering, if anyone else can give some information about it?? Or does anyone on this forum have this condition?? It'll be helpful since right now, I dunno what to expect..

Thanks to anyone who reads this

Jammie x

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid when I was 8, but it actually started when I was 4. It caused me not to grow, put on a lot of weight, be very cold a tired, which is similar to you. The best thing would be to just go to the doctor's for a blood test to find out. The results usually come back very quickly. When I was diagnosed my parents got the results the same day because my levels were so low. It isn't serious if you are diagnosed and take your medication. However, it can be serious if left undiagnosed. When I was diagnosed they told me that I was only a few months away from being seriously ill in hospital. If you do find out you have an underactive thyroid it is nothing to worry about! You just have to go for blood tests (which do get better!) and take tablets everyday. Initially I had to go for blood tests every 6 weeks because I was so young when I was diagnosed, but now my levels have evened out it is only once a year. You don't really think about having an underactive thyroid, if that makes sense! You just take tablets everyday and forget about it! Hope this helps!!
I went for my blood tests and they came back saying that i had thyroid problems and also vitamin D deficiency. I have to take 4 vitamin d tablets a day.

Its amazing how many symptoms you can get from it. If your not well you should definitely go for the tests
I've had migraines since I was 16 and this year I've also suffered from depression. I've always had bad mood swings and fairly irregular periods (not massively out of sync, but unpredictable) which are very heavy for the first few days. I often get tired during the day, even when I've had enough sleep, and I'm a bit of an insomniac at night. I'm not hugely sensitive to the cold but everyone comments on how much colder my skin feels than theirs, and winters are always bad for me because after a brief walk my hands turn into ice blocks. I feel like I've gained a little bit of weight lately and noticed it before I even started thinking about underactive thyroid, although I'm not sure if it's just psychological. I did start puberty reasonably early - not abnormally so, but I needed to wear a bra by the time I was 10 and all my adult teeth had come through by the time I was 8 or 9. Recently I've been getting a few aches and pains in my arms, although it's too early to tell whether they're frequent or just a coincidence. I also have a family member with an underactive thyroid.

All of these symptoms match up with UT and I'm going to try and get a blood test, but is it possible that I'm misdiagnosing myself by making the symptoms fit, as someone said earlier? My hair isn't falling out, the skin on my face is dry but not noticeably so, and I've been feeling much less depressed lately. I guess what I'm saying is, is it possible to have only some of the symptoms? It sounds weird but I'm really hoping I do have a UT because it would explain so much - I've struggled to find a unifying cause for all of my health problems and mood problems, and knowing that it was something which is treatable would be really reassuring.
I think its possible, I had some of those symptoms but not every one thats mentioned to do with thyroid. Theres no harm in them doing a blood test for you, it only takes a few days to get the results back. What they did with me was give me the vitamin D tablets and then said they would retest my blood in 2 months time. I assume its just to check the right level so they can give you the right dosage of thyroid medication.

Quick Reply

Latest