The Student Room Group

Fluency, or lack of it.

Hi.

I was just wondering if it was considered very abnormal to not be fluent like a native in a language after doing a degree in it. I started a Japanese degree, ab initio in the language with the idea I would obviously be fluent in it at the end. Now I'm going into second year but I just don't see how it is possible to cram all the needed vocabulary in my head in 3 years. Especially with all the other history and literature units, dissertation ect you do at the same time.

Maybe I am just not a good linguist :redface:

Jaded

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well, I suppose you probably won't be as fluent as you would be if you were doing a language not ab initio, but it's worth pointing out that the year abroad will probably build your fluency significantly.
BovineBeast
Well, I suppose you probably won't be as fluent as you would be if you were doing a language not ab initio, but it's worth pointing out that the year abroad will probably build your fluency significantly.

:ditto: Also, when universities say you should be fluent by the end of the degree, they're usually referring to the common European languages such as French, Spanish, Italian and German. I'd imagine Japanese is much more difficult.
Reply 3
how am i going to get to A2 german in one year? it took me 5 years with spanish lol. though i do suppose ill have a lot more german lesson time than i ever did over those 5 years spanish which was maybe an hour a week.
drsmeeth
how am i going to get to A2 german in one year? it took me 5 years with spanish lol. though i do suppose ill have a lot more german lesson time than i ever did over those 5 years spanish which was maybe an hour a week.

Yep, you'll have a lot more time to dedicate to it because you'll only be doing 2 subjects, both languages. Also, you can go at a faster pace because you won't have to wait around for the the not so clever people to catch up and you won't waste time covering pointless things you don't really need to know. I've got myself to GCSE standard Spanish in 9 months......we'll find out how successful I've been in August :p:
I was thinking of doing a Diploma course in German, and then I realised they just put you in the same classes as Part 1A ab-initio students, so you learn at the same speed as them! I'm not sure how good I'd be at German! Not that good that's for sure...
Reply 6
JadedHippy
Hi.

I was just wondering if it was considered very abnormal to not be fluent like a native in a language after doing a degree in it. I started a Japanese degree, ab initio in the language with the idea I would obviously be fluent in it at the end. Now I'm going into second year but I just don't see how it is possible to cram all the needed vocabulary in my head in 3 years. Especially with all the other history and literature units, dissertation ect you do at the same time.

Maybe I am just not good linguist :redface:

Jaded

You might never be fluent 'like a native'. But I'm sure after your year abroad you'll be pretty damn good, and if you plan to live and work in Japan, you will only get more and more fluent. I wouldn't worry about it - I don't think you're expected to be like native speaker at the end of your degree course.
Reply 7
kellywood_5
:ditto: Also, when universities say you should be fluent by the end of the degree, they're usually referring to the common European languages such as French, Spanish, Italian and German. I'd imagine Japanese is much more difficult.

That's not really true. I'm studying Japanese as well and I've met all the fourth years here and they are pretty much fluent in Japanese and can speak with all japanese people just fine. Sure japanese is harder (I'm doing Japanese with Spanish) but doesnt mean you wont be any less fluent! I guess it depends on how much work you put into it and what university you go to and how their course is set out!
jaybones
That's not really true. I'm studying Japanese as well and I've met all the fourth years here and they are pretty much fluent in Japanese and can speak with all japanese people just fine. Sure japanese is harder (I'm doing Japanese with Spanish) but doesnt mean you wont be any less fluent! I guess it depends on how much work you put into it and what university you go to and how their course is set out!

I stand corrected :p: I just assumed because Japanese is so different to European languages and most people start it ab initio at university, it would be a lot harder to become fluent in it in 4 years. I'm very impressed by people who can though!
Also, i guess it depends what you're definition of "fluent" is too. Like for example I'm (hopefully :wink: ) going to study French and Russian (ab initio) at uni in Autumn '07 and I totally expect myself to be MUCH more fluent in French than in Russian by the end of it. Although in the prospectus they claim that both subjects end up with the same worth at the end of the degree (I guess it's because you do roughly double the course units in the ab initio subject)
Reply 10
Chestnyh Psihov
Also, i guess it depends what you're definition of "fluent" is too. Like for example I'm (hopefully :wink: ) going to study French and Russian (ab initio) at uni in Autumn '07 and I totally expect myself to be MUCH more fluent in French than in Russian by the end of it. Although in the prospectus they claim that both subjects end up with the same worth at the end of the degree (I guess it's because you do roughly double the course units in the ab initio subject)

No, the prospectus tells the truth!! I'd say I'm at about the same level in my Italian that I started ab initio last year as I am in my French which I've studied since I was 11.....
Yeah, I see what you're saying. But Italian is generally considered to be a much easier language than Russian is - especially as you have background knowledge in another romance language (French). With Russian you have to learn a completely different alphabet and a grammar which is very intricate, complex and which has six cases, so a lot of time initially is spent learning these basics. I'm not saying that Italian ab initio at uni is easy - far from it, I imagine it's very difficult - but I think there are few who would argue that picking up Italian from scratch is more difficult than picking up Russian from scratch simply because of the differences between the two languages - they're just totally different.
Reply 12
Chestnyh Psihov
Yeah, I see what you're saying. But Italian is generally considered to be a much easier language than Russian is - especially as you have background knowledge in another romance language (French). With Russian you have to learn a completely different alphabet and a grammar which is very intricate, complex and which has six cases, so a lot of time initially is spent learning these basics. I'm not saying that Italian ab initio at uni is easy - far from it, I imagine it's very difficult - but I think there are few who would argue that picking up Italian from scratch is more difficult than picking up Russian from scratch simply because of the differences between the two languages - they're just totally different.

No, I agree with you on that one. I'm a bit of a wuss only learning romance languages, but I enjoy them so meh. If you divide up your year abroad so you spend more time in Russia, I reckon that would bring your languages level.
I'm doing French and Spanish, I'm end the end of 3rd year and most people on my course are nowhere near fluent. I suppose it doesn't help that all the classes are in English and they discourage Erasmus but most people would struggle to hold a basic conversation. It all depends what you personally put into it, if you do the bare minimum of work and just go to lectures you won't become fluent. I'm sick and tired of people telling me how 'lucky' I am they I speak both languages reasonably well, it's because I put in 10 times more effort than anyone else. I meet up with native speakers once a week to practise, I go to conversation groups, watch foreign TV while they're watching Eastenders or at the pub. When I suggest finding an exchange partner they look at me like I'm crazy, oh no, we don't want to actually SPEAK this language we're learning! I was one of the only ones to go on Erasmus.

It's a bit pathetic really, they're just fooling themselves into thinking they will be able to speak the language when they graduate when in reality their level is really basic. I've been in Spain for the year and I still don't consider myself truly fluent, I can't even imagine if I'd stayed there for the whole degree.

Think of the degree as a guide to follow, do all the work, all your reading but most of the language work will be done on your own, especially with a language like Japanese. You have to be really dedicated and do some listening and reading work every day.
It all depends what you personally put into it
Yeah, I can imagine that it really depends on how much you embrace the opportunities which are available to you at uni. Also, during the year abroad if you stay really introverted and don't even attempt to mix and make friends with the native speakers, then you can't really expect to reach such a high level of proficiency as those who really throw themselves into the language and culture (i.e those who use it whenever possible). Like you say, it's in a way even more difficult to become "fluent" in the more exotic languages such as Japanese, Arabic and Russian unless you really try and immerse yourself by reading newspapers and watching the news of that country everyday - as well as completing all the regular work which you have to do for your degree course - following the "guidelines", as IzzyWizzy said.
To be honest, the only thing for it vocabulary expanding drugs.
Reply 16
Chestnyh Psihov
Also, i guess it depends what you're definition of "fluent" is too.
wow, this is so true.
ok, i do an exchange for roughly three or four months and come back. a whole bunch of other people have done said exchange (with the same organisation, etc). They spend at least fifty percent of the bus trip to airport and 24 hour plane trip going on about how fluent they are.

I feel miserable. I am painfully aware of how crap I am at french, and how i am nowhere near fluency. There is a girl in my class who reckons she's fluent. I'm rather depressed at this stage, I feel I am unnaturally slow in the language department or something, but it turns out that she's just the same as me if not worse.

some people delude themselves. ooh, i can have a quasi-conversation. I must be fluent! etc.
IzzyWizzy
I'm doing French and Spanish, I'm end the end of 3rd year and most people on my course are nowhere near fluent. I suppose it doesn't help that all the classes are in English and they discourage Erasmus but most people would struggle to hold a basic conversation. It all depends what you personally put into it, if you do the bare minimum of work and just go to lectures you won't become fluent. I'm sick and tired of people telling me how 'lucky' I am they I speak both languages reasonably well, it's because I put in 10 times more effort than anyone else. I meet up with native speakers once a week to practise, I go to conversation groups, watch foreign TV while they're watching Eastenders or at the pub. When I suggest finding an exchange partner they look at me like I'm crazy, oh no, we don't want to actually SPEAK this language we're learning! I was one of the only ones to go on Erasmus.

It's a bit pathetic really, they're just fooling themselves into thinking they will be able to speak the language when they graduate when in reality their level is really basic. I've been in Spain for the year and I still don't consider myself truly fluent, I can't even imagine if I'd stayed there for the whole degree.

Think of the degree as a guide to follow, do all the work, all your reading but most of the language work will be done on your own, especially with a language like Japanese. You have to be really dedicated and do some listening and reading work every day.

This is so true. As someone else has said somewhere else on this forum, you have to live the language, spend every day doing something to do with it, whether this is reading a newspaper, watching a film, or just thinking in the language as you wait for the bus or whatever. I certainly wish I'd done more in this first year of university, and am definitely going to make more of an effort next year.
This thread is depressing :frown: I'd really love to be fluent in at least one of French and Spanish when I graduate and preferably both. But advice like reading newspapers, watching TV/DVDs (both things I haven't really had time to do at A-level since I do 3 other subjects as well) getting language partners etc should all be useful.
Set your homepage to Liberation or Le Monde and read one article every time you use the internet. I do four difficult A2s and it really doesn't take up too much time...

Latest

Trending

Trending