The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

PrinceOfCats
Set your homepage to Liberation or Le Monde and read one article every time you use the internet. I do four difficult A2s and it really doesn't take up too much time...

I would, but it's my mum's computer and I don't think she'd appreciate me setting a French newspaper website as her homepage :p: I should be able to read it every day once exams are over though and then I have the summer for any reading I want/need to do before uni. Thanks for the advice.
gringalet
This is so true. As someone else has said somewhere else on this forum, you have to live the language, spend every day doing something to do with it, whether this is reading a newspaper, watching a film, or just thinking in the language as you wait for the bus or whatever. I certainly wish I'd done more in this first year of university, and am definitely going to make more of an effort next year.

Really true- do something with the language every day- and that's just to stay in the same place.
Reply 22
In my opinion, if you REALLY want to learn a language fluenty you can do it and should do. I started my as course sept 05 in french and wanted to drop out straight away as it was all so complicated and different. I realised my grammer was appauling which has dented my confidence throughout the year but i've done a little bit extra when i could and when i had my as exam this year i was like wow i can do this!! i ENJOYED doing the french exam and im quite happy revising for my speaking test! never thought that i, a girl who detests work, would admit to that. also i'm gunna go to uni and learn a language because i want to and i'm gonna keep improving and have fun whilst doing it. just thought i would share my enthusiasm for french with you all!! us mod lang learners ARE THE FUTURE XXXXX
You go girl!!!!! Allright!!!!!
Reply 24
I like your optimism! It is true that doing something in the language each day helps, text your spanish/russian/french speaking friends in the language, have a little running conversation with yourself on the bus in your language or while walking somewhere. I also record Spanish vocab onto my phone so when I'm on the bus or wherever I listen to it, it doesn't take much time or effort- all you have to do is sit there, but if you continually listen to it it will go in easier! I didn't do all this extra work last year and (not entirely my fault- oral marking issues) got a B in Spanish. I want to do it at uni and need an A to get into my first choice so I have worked my ass off to try and be that standard (so if anyone has handy revision tips I'd be very grateful- 6 hours of Spanish a day for a week is a boring when you keep doing the same 'rephrase this' exercises!).

I am nowhere near fluent but have realised this past year that although I know practically zilch Spanish, I actually know quite a lot too! (It makes sense to me!) It is nice to know that you can improve your language and see results, although I am still terrified about my Spanish exam. I am supposed to get an A but this is still a slightly dodgy issue, which is why I am working hard (not hard enough though!) with it this week! Good luck to all the people with exams by the way!
Reply 25
PrinceOfCats
Set your homepage to Liberation or Le Monde and read one article every time you use the internet. I do four difficult A2s and it really doesn't take up too much time...

Damn I really wish I'd had the foresight to do that earlier!

Do you know how to get French Radio over here? I've been on Radio France .fr but I can't seem to be able to listen to any programmes on it.
Reply 26
Luvbug
I like your optimism! It is true that doing something in the language each day helps, text your spanish/russian/french speaking friends in the language, have a little running conversation with yourself on the bus in your language or while walking somewhere. I also record Spanish vocab onto my phone so when I'm on the bus or wherever I listen to it, it doesn't take much time or effort- all you have to do is sit there, but if you continually listen to it it will go in easier! I didn't do all this extra work last year and (not entirely my fault- oral marking issues) got a B in Spanish. I want to do it at uni and need an A to get into my first choice so I have worked my ass off to try and be that standard (so if anyone has handy revision tips I'd be very grateful- 6 hours of Spanish a day for a week is a boring when you keep doing the same 'rephrase this' exercises!).

I am nowhere near fluent but have realised this past year that although I know practically zilch Spanish, I actually know quite a lot too! (It makes sense to me!) It is nice to know that you can improve your language and see results, although I am still terrified about my Spanish exam. I am supposed to get an A but this is still a slightly dodgy issue, which is why I am working hard (not hard enough though!) with it this week! Good luck to all the people with exams by the way!

I feel like I'm in a similar situation as you are in, except in French rather than Spanish. I guess I'm a borderline student- generally getting high B's but could get an A on a good day. Though I haven't been putting nearly enough work in as I should. Well, I used to but I'm suffering a bit of a relapse at the moment- a complete loss of motivation- and my exam is in a week's time! Gah!

I think listening is probably my weakest point so I really need to practise that more than I am doing at the moment. I've been going through a French Grammar book and it's sooo hard, and making me realise how bad I am :frown: Though in my defense it is aimed at degree students so perhaps it's not all my fault...
jellybones

Do you know how to get French Radio over here? I've been on Radio France .fr but I can't seem to be able to listen to any programmes on it.

I tried some French radio, I can't remember from where, but it was just too crazy for me. Your school might be able to get you access to a local university's language centre, and they'll have French radio set-up.

(PS Has anyone read the news about Liberation? I had no idea that French newspapers had such a small circulation.)
jellybones

Many French radio programs are accessible via the internet...audio streaming.
http://www.live365.com/index.live

Go here, follow links, or put French radio in the search bar. You may have to download 356 player or equivalent, but it's a small download. Enjoy!!!!!
PrinceOfCats
(PS Has anyone read the news about Liberation? I had no idea that French newspapers had such a small circulation.)

I think it's because French people prefer to read local newspapers rather than nationals.
gringalet
You might never be fluent 'like a native'. But I'm sure after your year abroad you'll be pretty damn good, and if you plan to live and work in Japan, you will only get more and more fluent. I wouldn't worry about it - I don't think you're expected to be like native speaker at the end of your degree course.

Aloha Fran! :poke:

What do you make of the language tape/cd companies - particularly Berlitz and Pimsleur?

Latest

Trending

Trending