The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by AtomicMan
Just did the SJT practice test out of interest (and procrastination), and scored 42/71. How have others done?

What website did you use for it? :smile:
Original post by frogs r everywhere
I'm not too sure on that one but I would assume so.

Oh Dr. Kahuma these changes look scary but I know you will do great!
Reply 22
I just scored 36/75, but I didn't put much effort into it, only went through it once and had 11 minutes spare!
How are we supposed to practise the new DA and SJT sections?
Are there any new books/resources for it?
I have the old 600Q book :/
As an offer holder for medicine, I don't know why I decided to do an SJT practise test but what the heck, I got 39 / 71 :biggrin:

Confidence ratings sounds rather silly :redface: but at least they've removed the 2012 new-style VR questions.
Original post by The.Joker
How are we supposed to practise the new DA and SJT sections?
Are there any new books/resources for it?
I have the old 600Q book :/

I used "Medify" last year. Its great practise for abstract and quantitative reasoning. Not so much for DA and VR though. They have added some practise SJT questions this year.
They made the UKCAT harder? Shiiiiiiiiiit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1dnqKGuezo
Reply 27
Original post by GCSE-help
So demoralized because of this :frown: And it's not like in A-levels, where grade boundaries can change when it's the first cohort to experience a big change (next year when we do all exams in June) or when a particular exam is very difficult. The UKCAT scoring is based on what people get in the previous years :frown: So despite these changes, the scoring system will be just as harsh as before.

Does anyone know if the people at Kaplan will prepare students for this? Seriously considering going on a course, and was wondering when is the best time to take it? Planning on doing the UKCAT end of August.

Kaplan course was great, really useful on methods to tackle each question and gets you used to the timing, it's expensive but I think a good investment! I would advise to take the course about 3 weeks before the test, they also give you 5 online mocks which are really useful (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Further changes and measures taken to make it tougher. Feel for candidates taking it. It should be uniformly difficult for everyone taking it though as not many would have experienced this before.

As the SJT's are not added to the actual score, the uni's might have their own way of using them. In which case, they have to be contacted on whether they would use it or not and if they do use it when ( like to discriminate waiting-list candidates etc.) and how would they do that.

Ah, It adds to the frustration. Now, they might have to be contacted not only for knowing the overall thresholds but also for the SJT's.

I am interested to see the impact the changes will have on the overall scores for next year's entry.
Original post by Palindromic
it wont eat into your time for DA, will most likely be a seperate section at the end like all the other pilot schemes.

It looks from the practice test as though it's part of the same section. You can't advance through questions until you've selected a confidence level, too.

Am i right the score will be something like 2800, band 3? the SJT isnt out of 900 so isnt added to the score?

Think so, it's just a four band grading system. My best guess is that most schools will probably be looking for Bands 1 + 2, maybe band 3 if you've got an exceptional score elsewhere?
Reply 30
When they say we will only see 1 or 2 of these item types for AR, will we for e.g (on random) see only type 2 and type 3 ONLY and not see the other types such as type 1 which dominated the AR section in previous years? If so, i feel sorry for the person who gets them types only :l maybe me :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Sorry, forget my previous post lol, just sat the practice test, thank god most of them are the traditional ones...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NimbusCumulus
These changes look scary but I know you will do great!

I sincerely hope so! :biggrin:
:/ so there aren't books or resources available apart from the ones off the website?
Original post by SpeedyGonzales27
:/ so there aren't books or resources available apart from the ones off the website?

600Q book, Kaplan book, Medify.

That's the absolute maximum you'd need; many do well just off the practice tests + 600Q.
I'm scared
Aww balls, does this mean my UKCAT book is out of date..?
Original post by 01Chris02
Aww balls, does this mean my UKCAT book is out of date..?

You'll be fine, the only new additions are the confidence ratings in DA (just a beta, doesn't actually count to your score and the uni's won't get the scores), and the new SJT which you can learn elsewhere.
Reply 38
Hey guys I m in year 12 and sadly have to take this... :frown:

Basically I want to book my Ukcat exam soon as I am going on holiday for 2 weeks in summer and also want to know whether the kaplan course is advisable...

I know the course has been changed but are there any new books etc that are tailored for the new AR and SJT?

I've read on hear that 30hours or 3 weeks is best to prevent peaking too early, if you've done the test can I ask;

1) how many hours did you do? and over how many days e.g. did you cram for a week and then do the test or did you do 3 weeks of 2 hours a day then take it ?

2) if you did kaplan when is best to have the course, start of prep, halfway through or right before ?

3) on reflection is the kaplan course good, I know its really expensive but I see it as an investment into my (hopeful) future career.

thanks in advance really appreciate any advice
thanks
Reply 39
I'm so scared about this :frown: :s-smilie:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Latest

Trending

Trending