The Student Room Group

Hey, Pls read.

Poll

Which combination

Really sorry to add another subject combination post.
Though I am really confused, I intend on applying to LSE (Bsc Management) or Oxford ( Economics & Management).

Which combination will be the best:
Combination 1- Maths, Economics, Business Studies and Psychology( to AS only)

Combination 2- Maths, Further Maths (to AS only), Economics & Business Studies

Combination 3- Maths, Economics, Business Studies, Psychology ( to AS) and ICT (to AS).

Which combination sounds the best? I would really prefer not to do psychology as everyone in TSR saying is hard, but will it reduce my chances if I dont do it?

Combo 3 has 5 AS levels, while the other combos has 4 AS levels. Though all the combinations have 3 A2's ( Maths, Economics & Business Studies).

I know Business Studies and ICT are both on the LSE blacklist, will that affect my chances?

I will really prefer Combination 1, but will my chances be less?

What do you all think?

Pls reply and thanks to all who do
Reply 1

I would personally choose Combination 2 if I were you, since LSE seems to be having a penchant for Further Mathematics - at least at the AS level if you're unwilling to study it at A2. I would frankly also discourage Business Studies although you have indicated your interest to study it at A2 level in all combinations, and would instead replace it with Physics or a similar subject. If you have an aversion for such traditional sciences though, don't bother. It's no walk in the park and disliking it will already mean that you have to work 10X harder to acquire top grades.
Reply 2

(Maths, F Maths, Economics and another subject at A2 would probably put you in best standing for this course, though Oxford only labels Mathematics as "strongly recommended" and makes no mention about the other subjects as required subjects, recommended subjects or helpful subjects.)

Business Studies, while occasionally included in the conditions for offers, is more often than not explicitly exlcuded - please keep that in mind.
Reply 3
SORRY guys made an error in the poll as I am new here and still getting use to it. Let the last option in the poll (The 2nd Combination 2, the repeat) be combiation 3, instead of 2, Thanks

PLS DO VOTE
Comb. 1.
Reply 5
for LSE / Oxford then combination 2 is your best bet by far

comb 1 would be ok for most courses, but avoid ICT like the plague :P
Yup, Combination 2
I would recommend that you don't to Economics and Business Studies A-Levels as there is apparently quite a large overlap between the two. Universities know this and some are inclined not to make offers including both. Take up History, English Literature or Physics in my opinion and drop Business.
Reply 8
the whole economics - business studies thing is exaggerated, i know people who have gotten oxbridge/LSE offers with both subjects

eg. AAB with As in economics and <other subject>, B in business studies
But LSE state clearly in their entrance requirements that they will not make offers based on business studies. It is on their blacklist.

edit - actually that might just be for Economics L101 not the Management Course.
Thanks R.J.A, BIG relief now. I think I have decided my final combination.
Maths
FM (AS)
Economics
Business Studies

Will there an advantage if I do another subject for AS ? Planning on Psychology or ICT or even both IF it is a big advantage when applying.

WILL IT BE WORTH ALL THE HARDWORK? DOING 6AS SUBJECTS, OR WILL 4 OR EVEN 5 BE OK?
Reply 11
4 AS is OK, 5 max

LSE don't reject you outright for having Business Studies, they will accept one blacklisted subject, but no more...

Latest

Trending

Trending