The Student Room Group

Whats the max you'd spend on a wallet? (guys)

This poll is closed

whats the maximum amount of money you'd spend on a new wallet?

£5 9%
£10 28%
£15 11%
£20 13%
£25 4%
£30 4%
£35 7%
£40 4%
£45 2%
£50 7%
£55 0%
£60 0%
over £6011%
Total votes: 46
is £16 too much?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by fuzzybear
is £16 too much?

Not at all if it's all leather and has decent functionality.
Reply 2
I'd spend a lot if it was going to last me years and was well made.

Ordinarily I don't spend more than 20 quid though.
Reply 3
You can get decent ones for under a tenner. I personally don't know why someone would spend loads on a flashy wallet. Firstly, it's just a tool for keeping your money in not spending your money on. Secondly, surely a designer wallet is just an advertisement to thieves?

*steal me, I've got the most dosh inside!*
About £10.

If the value of a wallet is consistently > the sum of cash contained within it, something is very wrong.
(edited 10 years ago)
I like to have a nice wallet, I'll get a new one every year or so, I just like the feel, like how some people like to have an expensive watch or other item of clothing that they sort of collect.. I just like my wallets until i have the money for a fancy watch!

Note: though I still wont go to the super excess, I wouldnt go more than £40-45, even then only if it was really nice!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
where do you guys get these decent wallets for under a tenner?

I'm looking for one with somewhere to put coins in as well (like a zip or buttoned up pocket), and places like next and river island seem to have all the decent ones priced at around £15 - £25
Reply 7
I don't know, haven't had a new wallet in years. :dontknow:
I still use this crappy old thing:
(edited 10 years ago)
I've been using my current wallet for nearly ten years now, and it was a birthday present. It's not a very expensive one though. I think it was less than fifteen quid (saw it in a shop one time). I don't think I could spend more than that really, and even if I did, I wouldn't wear it out much.
I love my wallet, it was a gift from one of my relatives about 2 years ago, but the only problem I have with it is that it doesn't have a zip pocket for coins, which means I have to carry them around in my trouser pockets when I get change from a fiver or so, which I hate doing :frown:

EDIT: Just realised I didn't answer the question :doh:

Err, probably not more than £20 :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
I used to have a Slimmy which cost me about £30, but it got stolen so I'm using my old £15 Ben Sherman one I got when I was 18. Does the job.

Also, coins ruin wallets, so if you don't want to have a bum brick I'd store coins outside it, especially if you keep loose change. Get a separate coin pouch if you don't like loose change. I nabbed a green one from a leather seller at the riverside market in Newcastle, and it's amazing.
(edited 10 years ago)
I got a brown leather one from marks and spencers. Autograph. I think it cost just under £20. £20 is probably the limit, I mean you can spend more but at the end of the day all you want it to do is hold money and cards.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Show me your wallet
£0, rarely use a wallet. Use one to keep everything together in my draw but if I'm out and about things are just loose, that way if I lose something it's just that particular thing not the whole wallet. Anyhow probably wouldn't spend above a tenner if I had to.
Reply 14
Well the wallet I'm looking for at the moment is £15 but I'd probably be prepared to pay £20.

However, I'm terrible with how much I think something should be worth, which is a bit bad for an AS Economics student :colondollar:
Spent 40e for a very nice leather wallet in Italy. Wouldnt go over that though.
I spent £35 on one for my Dad. It has a printed old-looking map as the inside lining. Looks very smart. :tongue:

If I'm allowed to answer (!) I spent £50 on a purse once. :ashamed:
£15 max for me.
Original post by fuzzybear
is £16 too much?

Not at all.

The way I view wallets is that they are going to last a long time, it's something you have on you all the time and will use a lot, and so there's no problem buying a nice one.

I personally spent around £45 on my last wallet. It's by Fossil, looks very nice, is well made and was large enough to store the hundreds of cards I'm normally carrying around.

It may seem like a lot to spend but I bought it around 2 years ago and is still perfectly fine, so it's not like it's an expense that I have to repeat frequently.
Reply 19
My Ted Baker cost about £60 and my Paul Smith wallets cost £165 and £170 - one of which is waiting to be returned on the insurance after being stolen ....
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest