The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

EECS Department Queen Mary Information

Work in Progress

Hopefully I can help out those who want to do a course at Queen Mary in this department EECS, so check below if its your course to see if the information below is relevant.

EECS- Electronic Engineering and Computer Science

Courses which fall underneath it:
BEng FT Audio Systems Engineering
BEng FT Electrical and Electronic Engineering
BEng FT Electronic Engineering
BEng FT Electronic Engineering and Computing
BEng FT Electronic Engineering and Telecommunications
BEng FT Electronic Engineering with Industrial Experience
BSc(Eng) FT Information and Communication Technologies
BSc(Eng) FT Information and Communication Technologies with Business Management
BSc(Eng) FT Multimedia and Arts Technology
BSc(Eng) FT Multimedia and Arts Technology with Industrial Experience
BSc FT Computer Science
BSc FT Computer Science and Mathematics
BSc FT Computer Science and Multimedia
BSc FT Computer Science with Business Management
BSc FT Computer Science with Business Management and Accounting
BSc FT Computer Science with Industrial Experience
MEng FT Audio Systems Engineering
MEng FT Electronic Engineering and Computing
MEng FT Electronic Engineering and Telecommunications
MSci FT Computer Science

Info about me:
I am a current 2nd year student at Queen Mary studying BEng Computer Engineering (replaced with Electronic Engineering and Computing). I'll be honest right now, this piece will most likely to give off a strong negative vibe, but it will be my honest opinion on the experience from the department.

Modules taken so far:

2nd year
DCS234 Software Engineering Theory
ELE335 Digital Systems Design
ELE374 Signals and Systems
ELE595 Software Tools for Engineers
DCS225 Database Systems
ECS503U Internet Applications
ELE475 Microprocessor Systems Design
ELE490 Design and Build

First year
DCS104 Object-Oriented Programming
DCS100 Procedural Programming
ELE102 Introduction To Electronic Systems
ELE103 Telecommunications And Internet Fundamentals
DCS150 Fundamentals Of Web Technology
ELE104 Professional Applications
ELE202 Digital Circuit Design
MAE111 Electronic Engineering Maths

I'll try to provide feedback on the modules, some modules have changed since I had it or when you come.

MAE111 Electronic Engineering Maths
Probably one of the best modules you could do, the lecturer very good and concise.......it builds on your mathematics skills from A-level particularly FP1 and FP2 from futher maths modules. Though should clarify it isn't really "Engineering Maths", its just futher maths, questions aren't applied maths in engineering field at all, but is a nice module to learn. The coursework is very nice and exam isn't too hard.

ELE202 Digital Circuit Design

ELE102 Introduction To Electronic Systems (New name of course since my time)
This course teaches you the fundamentals of getting to understand and learning Electronics, you get a few hours of lecture a week along side 3 hours worth of lab work which counts towards your coursework whereby you are supposed to demonstrate what you learnt on a electrical board, etc.
However be very wary of the lecturer Dr Mondragon, he isn't the best lecturer at all, actually one of the worst you can expect, teaching methods are appalling, expect a lot of mistakes when it comes to examples on the board. The main book used, is itself quite confusing to be honest, but it is better to go through it then trying to understand it by Mondragon.

DCS100 Procedural Programming
ELE103 Telecommunications And Internet Fundamentals
DCS150 Fundamentals Of Web Technology
ELE104 Professional Applications
Reply 1
Hi there,

How is the Digital Circuit Design summer exam???
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by acadennis
Hi there,

How is the Digital Circuit Design summer exam???

Lecturer isn't great in my opinion..........shouldn't be too bad, its basically mathematical stuff from physics and circurity, if you understand the concepts properly you can do well, I think a lot of the exam comes from the main textbox.
Reply 3
What programming languages have you learned in this two years?
Reply 4
Original post by Tahnik
What programming languages have you learned in this two years?

Basic java at first, then they move you on to object orientated programming.
There's a bit of website designing so HTML, SQL, Javascript, css.....

Depending on your exact course you may also do C++, GUI, more SQL, etc
Reply 5
Original post by Iqbal007
Basic java at first, then they move you on to object orientated programming.
There's a bit of website designing so HTML, SQL, Javascript, css.....

Depending on your exact course you may also do C++, GUI, more SQL, etc

I am currently learning C++. Would it be better to start with Java?
Reply 6
Original post by Tahnik
I am currently learning C++. Would it be better to start with Java?

A bit similar, yes try learning the basics and then expand into object oriented programming
Reply 7
I am a bit confused now. Modules in EECS website and qmul website is different for Computer Systems Engineering. Which modules am I actually going to take?

http://www.eecs.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduates/programme/view/1194#second

http://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/coursefinder/courses/121327.html
Reply 8
Original post by Tahnik
I am a bit confused now. Modules in EECS website and qmul website is different for Computer Systems Engineering. Which modules am I actually going to take?

http://www.eecs.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduates/programme/view/1194#second

http://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/coursefinder/courses/121327.html

I believe the QMUL is generalised, like "programming" whereas EECS is more detailed on the issue giving proper programming module names.
Reply 9
How easy is to switch between course in the department
Reply 10
Original post by akash11
How easy is to switch between course in the department

Within the department it is possible, though it is dependent which two courses.
Reply 11
Within the department it is possible, though it is dependent which two courses.

Computer Science to Computer science and Maths. I was told by the department that maths and computer science was run by the computer science department.
Reply 12
Original post by akash11
Computer Science to Computer science and Maths. I was told by the department that maths and computer science was run by the computer science department.

Its both as its a 50/50 course if its the 'and' version, you'd have to switch the moment you get there or ask now...
Reply 13
Its both as its a 50/50 course if its the 'and' version, you'd have to switch the moment you get there or ask now...

I asked admissions about it they told as its after the 7th of may deadline they can't do anything and that its run by the computer science department only not the maths department, in that case would it be easy to transfer?
Reply 14
Original post by akash11
I asked admissions about it they told as its after the 7th of may deadline they can't do anything and that its run by the computer science department only not the maths department, in that case would it be easy to transfer?

Call up the department now or change during fresher's week
Reply 15

Unfortunately I cant, my question just is as maths and computer science admissions are just handled by the computer science department, which admissions told me they were, would that theoretically make it easier to transfer from computer science to maths and computer science?

Also are you doing a Beng or Meng?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16

Also would you say you have to be fairly good and programming to get a 1st would it be possible to get a first even if your not good at programming?

I am mathematically inclined taking both maths and further maths at A-level would be mathematical be helpful in doing well on the degree?
Reply 17
Original post by akash11
Unfortunately I cant, my question just is as maths and computer science admissions are just handled by the computer science department, which admissions told me they were, would that theoretically make it easier to transfer from computer science to maths and computer science?

Also are you doing a Beng or Meng?

Yeah, in the first month people do drop out or transfer courses. Just go to the Computer science department to fill in a form and also check with the mathematics department after all that give it in and wait for a change to your course.

BEng.

Original post by akash11
Also would you say you have to be fairly good and programming to get a 1st would it be possible to get a first even if your not good at programming?

I am mathematically inclined taking both maths and further maths at A-level would be mathematical be helpful in doing well on the degree?

Yeah, you'll learn the basics of programming, the majority of the programming is kind of easy, Object orientated programming will require more work...........jjust a heads up do remember the degree alone doesn't get you the job , you may get a first but if you got nothing else behind that then you wont be that good of a candidate for a graduate scheme.
Reply 18
Yeah, in the first month people do drop out or transfer courses. Just go to the Computer science department to fill in a form and also check with the mathematics department after all that give it in and wait for a change to your course.

BEng.

Yeah, you'll learn the basics of programming, the majority of the programming is kind of easy, Object orientated programming will require more work...........jjust a heads up do remember the degree alone doesn't get you the job , you may get a first but if you got nothing else behind that then you wont be that good of a candidate for a graduate scheme.

What grade are you on track for if you don't mind me asking? Are you graduating this year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending