The Student Room Group

It annoys me when people don't vote

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dpdr
All the people who are pleading emotive responses above about why they are justified not to vote for 'terrible' and 'corrupt' parties - go spend a weekend in North Korea or Syria. Then come back and explain how terrible our major parties are.

All the tell-tail signs of people who have spent their lives being a bit too sheltered to understand how lucky we really are here.

Our system is not perfect, definitely not. Far from it. But investing your utopian visions and idealistic expectations is pretty naive. No Government will ever be perfect because nobody has a total form of omniscience.

Couldn't agree more. The culture of 'lets make a massive drama about how corrupt our system is' in this country is what is wrong. David Cameron is hardly Kim Jong-Un or Assad.
Reply 61
I don't agree with the electoral system that we use anyway and my vote will always go to waste except in European elections so why bother?
Just saw that advert about the crackdown on benefit fraud.

Nice to see our elected politicians are cracking down on those dishonest people out there who claim millions of pounds of taxpayers' hard-earned cash they're not entitled to... Hey, wait a minute...
I didn't vote LOL
Because UK Politics is effectively seen as the following:

Tories
Labour
-
-
-
-
-
-
Fascists and Communists

I dont count the lib dems, i mean who the hell would vote for them, what is the point.

UKIP are interesting, but ofcourse the left just call them fascists etc, theres no major real left wing parties as we all know theyre a bit looney.
Original post by Dpdr
All the people who are pleading emotive responses above about why they are justified not to vote for 'terrible' and 'corrupt' parties - go spend a weekend in North Korea or Syria. Then come back and explain how terrible our major parties are.

All the tell-tail signs of people who have spent their lives being a bit too sheltered to understand how lucky we really are here.

Our system is not perfect, definitely not. Far from it. But investing your utopian visions and idealistic expectations is pretty naive. No Government will ever be perfect because nobody has a total form of omniscience.

I like to think this is aimed at lefties more than righties.

I mean, right wing politics is largely based off realism.

Left wing politics are based off Utopia, where everyone is rich and equal
Original post by sevchenko
What are you talking about, the less people vote leads to more extreme parties like UKIP OR the BNP could gaining power, I'm positive that the policy of UKIP don't not reflect majority of the nation. If more people vote we can give a proper mandate to the winning party because that government has received popular support from the nation as a whole not just 50% of it

not only is that false but the majority rule by idiots has kept for a long time now.
We have the Freedom to Vote Yep
We also have the Freedom to NOT vote
and if I dont vote and you do I am allowed to complain over your choice as I did not vote you DID
Reply 67
I'm in two minds on this. In one way, you don't really have a right to complain about things if you had a chance to have an input into it and didn't. But on the other, do we really want people generally uninformed on politics to be voting out of a sense of duty? I think I'd rather leave it to those who actually knew roughly what they were voting for. In principle everyone would read the manifestos or at least do some research before voting, but in practice even a lot of those motivated enough to vote won't.
Original post by sevchenko
What are you talking about, the less people vote leads to more extreme parties like UKIP OR the BNP could gaining power, I'm positive that the policy of UKIP don't not reflect majority of the nation. If more people vote we can give a proper mandate to the winning party because that government has received popular support from the nation as a whole not just 50% of it

Maybe if everyone in the country voted and not just the middle class intellectuals we would be surprised by the latent support for the right wing parties amongst people that can't be bothered with the ins and outs of politics but don't like foreigners.
Original post by ohdearinsanityy
You clearly missed his point that everyone else has got. 'So what?' So you've lived a cushioned life here in comparison to other countries, yet complain far more than residents of North Korea or Syria even have the chance to.

They don't even have the opportunity to complain and express their views, you do. Their Governments will kill them if they do, yours won't. You're able to walk out your front door and express discontent at your Government everyday. They can't.

You have the opportunity to express 'public scrutiny' because our politicians aren't mass-murderers. Seriously, get real. You complain and complain and offer no viable alternative.

You are the perfect example of an ignorant citizen who takes it for granted and demands more, more, more. Living in a dream world.

You don't know what I take for granted. I'm very grateful to live here and enjoy what freedoms and luxuries we're allowed, but this place, this situation could be improved without a doubt. If you're content with mediocrity from the people who consider themselves worthy of leading 60-70 million people and spending a multi-billion pound budget then suit yourself.

I don't care what's going on in the worst possible example of a country, that doesn't fix our problems. I get that they have it worse, much worse, but again, so what? You say "' So you've lived a cushioned life here in comparison to other countries, yet complain far more than residents of North Korea or Syria even have the chance to. "
You don't think the north korean public would be complaining much more than I'm doing if they could get away with it? They would love to complain, it's not as if they're free to complain but they just grin and bear it. In fact you even say this yourself in your next paragraph, the fact they don't is not because they have no complaints.

Then you say I'm "able to walk out your front door and express discontent at your Government everyday" - what the hell do you think I'm doing right now, yet you're having a whinge about it? You're celebrating a right and ****ting all over it at the same time. Make your mind up.

As for offering viable alternatives, I have done - honest, rational politicians that won't just say anything that suits them to get what they want. If you think that's an unreasonable demand then fine, but I certainly don't.

Also, do you think any government wouldn't treat us just like north korea treats its population if they could get away with it? They all want us under as much control as possible, a nation of obedient workers. If people stop calling bull**** when governments step out of line they'll take an inch, and another, and another until they've taken a mile. The people in charge are just people, doesn't matter if this is britain or zimbabwe, they're humans, they're all prone to corruption and they should all be watched closely.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 70
Original post by C-Dawg
All politicians are corrupt and equally useless, so there is no point voting.

Nigel farage?
Reply 71
Original post by a729
Nigel farage?

What makes you think he's such a superior politician?
Reply 72
Original post by C_G
What makes you think he's such a superior politician?

He's more trustworthy than Blair,Clegg ,Cameron and Milliband
Reply 73
Original post by a729
He's more trustworthy than Blair,Clegg ,Cameron and Milliband

Because you obviously know him so well, on a personal level, that you are able to make a judgement on his trustworthiness.
Original post by C_G
Because you obviously know him so well, on a personal level, that you are able to make a judgement on his trustworthiness.

Whats a worst case scenario with Farage?
Reply 75
Original post by Jordan-James
Whats a worst case scenario with Farage?

That he's the anti-Christ.

(Yes, this is a joke).
Original post by C_G
That he's the anti-Christ.

(Yes, this is a joke).

Waheyyyyyyy
Reply 77
Original post by C_G

He hasn't broken any manifesto pledges..
It annoys me when people do vote and then complain like they actually believed like it would make a difference. Voting is irrational; a grand exercise in wishful thinking.

Any rational person knows that voting won't actually affect the outcome of the election and doing just about anything else would be a more productive so I stay at home and masturbate.
I would of but I had more important things to do, like prepare for my exams.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending