The Student Room Group

Occupational health check - self harm/ depression?

Hi, I have a place on an adult nursing course this September and I'm starting to worry a bit about my occupational health check. Basically I'm wanting to know whether my previous experience of self harm and depression will affect my chances of getting onto the course?

Last year at 17 I was diagnosed with depression and self harmed for a short period of time, I went to my GP and she referred me to CAHMS and then for CBT. Now I've turned 18 my referral doesn't exist any more but I consider myself better and have not even thought about self harming for ages, plus my GP seemed reluctant to refer me on again to adult mental health services because I was doing well and still am. However will it look bad that I haven't actually been 'treated'? I feel as though I've recovered from my condition from help with my family and friends, the problem is I've never really had the chance to talk about what the cause for my depression was because I didn't really know at the time (I do now) and my GP who I've seen about this problem probably just thought it has been stress related, which it hasn't and I don't want this on my records as I'm perfectly capable of coping with stress. Who should I tell all this to? Should I visit my school nurse?

Sorry for the long post!! Any advice would be helpful.
I shouldn't think there will be a problem anon, you might find the insight into mental health difficult but if you're open and honest and your GP thinks that you're fine. I wouldn't worry about it. Occupational health is about giving you support and making sure you're safe to practice.
Reply 2
If you don't get in, I don't have a chance!

As it sounds like it is mostly in the past you should be ok.

I am currently under the CMHT, and have been under mental health services for 4 years and have been an inpatient. I have been told by OH services and the CMHT that as long as I can prove that I am not a risk to patients or myself, that I can deal with stress, know when to ask for help and am willing to comply with whatever treatment plans are put in place that I should be ok.

Maybe it would be worth seeing a counsellor or something though, just to talk through the issues which are still playing on your mind? It'd be better to get it out now, rather than let it build up :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest