The Student Room Group

Are you scared of aging? It petrifies me.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Sometimes. I'm doing medicine and when you learn about all the diseases and when they can strike, plus you see young people who are seriously ill, it makes you realise how precious life is and how short a time we really have. I'm in my early 20s but feel like the last 5 years has passed in a flash. Most people don't appreciate the freedoms of youth - I don't mean looking young (although its nice), but, for most people (not all unfortunately), the freedom of mobility, of being able to get out and walk and run and do sports, of having your senses for the most part intact, of being able to see details and hear music to a level of intensity that will eventually fade, to have so many opportunities ahead of you. We sometimes get so bogged down in the minutiae of life that we forget how lucky we really are.
Reply 21
I'm happy being young, and I'm looking forward to middle age and retirement. So long as I am in good health when I'm older and manage to maintain my independence I think I'll enjoy it.
Reply 22
Original post by Bubblyminty
I don't want to grow old and have wrinkles and be forgotten. :s-smilie:

I'll remember you for being bubbly and minty.
Reply 23
Original post by Swanbow
I'm happy being young, and I'm looking forward to middle age and retirement. So long as I am in good health when I'm older and manage to maintain my independence I think I'll enjoy it.

Yes, I think the main thing that worries me is ailing health and isolation, the vanity thing I think was well described in that article. Hopefully I've got my midlife crisis out of the way early.
Reply 24
Original post by Kaiaaa
Sometimes. I'm doing medicine and when you learn about all the diseases and when they can strike, plus you see young people who are seriously ill, it makes you realise how precious life is and how short a time we really have. I'm in my early 20s but feel like the last 5 years has passed in a flash. Most people don't appreciate the freedoms of youth - I don't mean looking young (although its nice), but, for most people (not all unfortunately), the freedom of mobility, of being able to get out and walk and run and do sports, of having your senses for the most part intact, of being able to see details and hear music to a level of intensity that will eventually fade, to have so many opportunities ahead of you. We sometimes get so bogged down in the minutiae of life that we forget how lucky we really are.

You are absolutely right!

I think I just obsess about the things you just described, which is, in itself, not appreciating what you have as well but from the opposite direction.
Reply 25
Original post by Alpha510
If, in general, standards of living rise, then the average lifespan might rise to (which is most certain based on empirical evidence), then we will be aging with a lot more people. So it shouldn't be that scary, after all.

I hope you are right, technology could help immensely, however, it still needs the population to carry some empathy and the way things are progressing (or regressing), I have some concern.
Original post by Kaiaaa

After having read this, it looks like I will be sitting in the bath for at least 3 hours contemplating about life tonight...^.^.
I'm terrifed of death, but not so much ageing (as in getting wrinkles etc..)
Reply 28
I don't see the evolutionary advantage of ageing.
Reply 29
A writer once said that the great philosophy in life is to realise that, at some point in the future, you're going to disappear. All we can do is not wasting our time. I consider that having an early crisis is bound to drain you from any positive energy, energy you can invest in loving, sharing, focusing on what's really important. Everybody has a mission in their life and concentrating on accomplishing it is much healthier than crying your heart out :smile: Cheer up, head up! Life is too short to suffer from negative feelings!
Reply 30
The only ones that should be scared are white girls. They look so damn fine in their late teens but then massively hit the wall as soon as they reach 25. It's depressing tbh.
No point in worrying about something inevitable. Worrying may infact speed up the process and end more wrinkles to your face.
Nope; why would I be? As the years pass, I will get wrinkly and tired and my joints will ache more and more and then I will die. The only alternative to this fate is ending my life early and if I have to choose between the two then ageing doesn't seem so bad.
Reply 33
Original post by 2ndClass
The only ones that should be scared are white girls. They look so damn fine in their late teens but then massively hit the wall as soon as they reach 25. It's depressing tbh.

I'll take first class sorry, I never knew second class was full of *******s
Yes. I wish I could live in my current physical form for the rest of my life, but unless scientists invent some kind of anti-aging medicine that works, I don't think worrying about the inevitable is helpful.
I'm not really scared of it, I'm more scared of being lonely than I am of being old.
I used to worry about growing old, until someone pointed out that not everybody gets the chance to. Sometimes lives are taken away ridiculously young, and those people would give anything to have the "old age" that others are so petrified of.

So my answer is that I would rather grow old than die young.
Reply 37
Original post by IndiaCaitlinn
I'm not really scared of it, I'm more scared of being lonely than I am of being old.

I think that's a part of the fear, isolation.
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Yes. I wish I could live in my current physical form for the rest of my life, but unless scientists invent some kind of anti-aging medicine that works, I don't think worrying about the inevitable is helpful.

I think for us men, the prime is in the 30s though. i need my brains to enjoy my life. not just doing pull-ups to have great shoulders that no one wants to see (except in a gym's locker room).
Not scared at all I am young looking despite my age no facial at 20 really does wonders.

Quick Reply

Latest