The Student Room Group

***urgent help/advice needed :(***

So I'm currently studying at college and I'm doing 3 A levels (AS) english language and literature, Media Studies & Sociology. The BIG problem is English language and literature is failing for me. Not only am I finding it difficult but also not of any interest at all. I'm expecting good grades in my other 2 subjects. I went to my careers room and they suggested that I do the english lit + lang exam but pickup another different A-Level subject next year? Can someone please help me out here as to the limitations of doing this? I'd also like to mention that I'm much more of a creative person.

:confused:

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!!!!
Reply 1
Doing 3 AS levels complicates things a little; my college, and the majority of colleges I believe, recommend studying 4 AS levels unless you are absolutely certain you'll enjoy and do well in 3. This then gives you the ability to simply drop one in second year.

Are you planning on going to uni?

You could do the english exam this year then take up another AS level next year, giving you 2 A2s and 2 ASs. This is probably the easiest thing to do, however most unis require 3 A2s.

You could drop english and do a full A level next year, so you'd have 3 A2s and the AS. This should be ok to get to uni, however the workload could be very demanding and it is not easy, so you would have to ensure your grades don't suffer.

You could also do a 3rd year at college. Do all of your exams this year, media A2, sociology A2 and another AS next year, and do the A2 in the new subject either part-time (if your college will let you, or as an independent student) or with a couple of extra courses in the 3rd year. However this could limit your uni choices as most require you to sit all exams within a 2 year period (this definitely relates to the Russell Group unis, and a few others I believe)
Reply 2
Thanks for the advice! I like the sound of having 2 A's + 2 A2's, And yes I would like to go to university. I'm just overly stressed at the moment!
Reply 3
Original post by ujzartist
Thanks for the advice! I like the sound of having 2 A's + 2 A2's, And yes I would like to go to university. I'm just overly stressed at the moment!

Just remember that only having 2 A2s would pose huge limits on where you can apply for uni. Do you know what subject you want to study?
Reply 4
Original post by Gnome :)
Just remember that only having 2 A2s would pose huge limits on where you can apply for uni. Do you know what subject you want to study?

I have no idea what I will be studying at uni, but will defo look into it after exams are over?
Reply 5
Original post by ujzartist
I have no idea what I will be studying at uni, but will defo look into it after exams are over?

I'd definitely look into it before making any decisions.

Quick Reply

Latest