The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Who do you respect more, a bin man or a maths professor?

Scroll to see replies

I don't usually base respect on someone's profession. Both could be idiots.

Very generally, I would be likely to respect a binman to some degree because of the stereotype and the fact that it can't be a very pleasant job. I respect them for sucking it up and going to do an important job (even if it's not their ideal one), instead of sitting on their backside claiming benefits when they're quite capable of working.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Emre944
Why do we have to pick one over the other? Is it so unusual to respect them both as long as they are good people doing their jobs as well as can be expected? :curious:

Good point - I should have put an 'equal' option. Not sure how to edit the poll.
Original post by Emre944
Maybe just maybe he was being sarcastic?

I know that he was being sarcastic just as someone from a working class background that attitude really bugs me sarcastic or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Octohedral

Maths Professor

- Takes a lot of training.
- However, the pay and hours are very nice (long holidays, weekends etc).
- The research element doesn't directly benefit society (it obviously does in the long run, but its purpose is discovery for the sake of discovery).

This is not really answering you question, but just for your information, you might want to reconsider the part in bold. All the professors I have come across have spent a huge proportion of their spare time, weekends and holidays working. It is extremely competitive.
Reply 24
Original post by Octohedral
Good point - I should have put an 'equal' option. Not sure how to edit the poll.

Oh well, better luck next time. :h:
Reply 25
Original post by winningjojo
I know that he was being sarcastic just as someone from a working class background that attitude really bugs me sarcastic or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough.
I respect the maths professor for dedicating so much time and effort to studying to getting to where they are now.

I respect the refuse collector for having a job that is absolutely integral to the workings of our society, and for continually putting in the hard, physical labour that the job involves.

They're such different jobs, and I would respect the individuals for different reasons.
Reply 27
Original post by MENDACIUM
In my own humble opinion, a woman who goes to a club, takes her clothes of to the delight of men, thereby selling her body for money, only adds to society the notion that women are sex objects.

One woman does not represent everybody, but this is not simply one woman. Strip clubs are common, and mostly consist of women, and this trickles onto other elements of society, and how young women view themselves.

Disagree. If a few women want to do that, who are you to say they can't? As long as they're safe, how is it even an issue?

I can't see any logic in your point that women look like sex objects to society. Women aren't a collective entity that have similar interests or occupations. Plus, people can come to their own decisions on the fact that women are not sex objects.
Original post by MENDACIUM
In my own humble opinion, a woman who goes to a club, takes her clothes of to the delight of men, thereby selling her body for money, only adds to society the notion that women are sex objects.

One woman does not represent everybody, but this is not simply one woman. Strip clubs are common, and mostly consist of women, and this trickles onto other elements of society, and how young women view themselves.

The the problem is with society and not with the woman. Society needs to be educated into the thinking that some women choose to do that and that's okay, and that some women don't choose to do that and that's fine.
Reply 29
Original post by mrs_bellamy
This is not really answering you question, but just for your information, you might want to reconsider the part in bold. All the professors I have come across have spent a huge proportion of their spare time, weekends and holidays working. It is extremely competitive.

Very true. My Dad is a professor, so I have a pretty good idea, but not at a top university - I can imagine it's much worse somewhere like Oxford. I'd still prefer it to most other jobs though, because you get to choose when to work, and it's great if you have children.
Neither. I don't respect anyone based on their profession. :\

However, I do respect them because they're both working hard for a living (although the bin men have damaged my bins several times, which really does annoy me)
If a bin man and a maths professor were having a fight, I'd put my money on the bin man.
Reply 32
my respect for someone does not come from their profession. My respect comes from the type of person the person is. The maths professor could be a snob who looks down on society, cheats on his wife/husband, racist or just a mean person by nature, this would result in me disrespecting him. The Bin man could be a man/woman who is humble, down to earth, earning money rather than eating benefits and they could be a friendly individual.

My Opinion is - Profession and Respect are two different concepts FOR ME. Others people I know respect people solely because of they job they do.
Reply 33
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
How is it even possible to respect working class people?

Imagine that goon binman at school, what a wastecadet he must have been to have ended up as a binman.

Deserves no respect.

Now, a maths professor...precisely the kind of guy I want in bed with me.

Paha. With that disgusting attitude, it's you who deserves no respect.
Reply 34
Original post by Kutta
my respect for someone does not come from their profession. My respect comes from the type of person the person is. The maths professor could be a snob who looks down on society, cheats on his wife/husband, racist or just a mean person by nature, this would result in me disrespecting him. The Bin man could be a man/woman who is humble, down to earth, earning money rather than eating benefits and they could be a friendly individual.

My Opinion is - Profession and Respect are two different concepts FOR ME. Others people I know respect people solely because of they job they do.

Perhaps it would be better worded as "which profession do you respect most?"

I respect your point that you don't judge people on profession - neither do I. However, what I'm really interested in is the value put on academia in society. Perhaps the poll doesn't quite work in that sense, but I think it's a good enough question. I should have put an 'I don't care' vote though - I can't edit it now. :smile:
Reply 35
Anyone can be a bin man whereas it takes years of training to be a maths prof.
It's instant vs deferred gratification really... I don't care about being PC
Anybody who works have nowadays is 'privledged'. especially if they're white..
I'd respect them both equally unless I got to know them both & one had a worse personality, the binman might just not be that academic & that's ok, a binman has an important role to play in society as well.
Reply 38
i would go "professor"... they have cool names like Marcus and Leopold ?
Reply 39
They're both dicks tbh.

Latest

Trending

Trending