The Student Room Group

Why does Clearasil give you spots?

I don't know if it's a myth or whatever but a few people have told me clearasil gives you spots because it brings the dirt to the surface and after a while makes you spot-free but at the start gives you spots?

I don't know but this face wash I've been using hasn't helped at all and I have more spots than before. Any advice?
Try St Ives apricot scrub, it's awesome.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm pretty sure it's a myth that it has to "bring the dirt to the surface". If it makes someone's skin worse it's generally because it's too harsh for their skin. The spots are a sign of irritation.

If you have dry or sensitive skin with only a sew spots something harsh like clearasil will only make it worse. I think it only works for people with very oily skin. Try something a bit more gentle and try and avoid sodium lauryl sulphate as an ingredient.
Reply 3
Original post by Ayesha1234

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I may thanks :smile:

Original post by therisenmitten
I'm pretty sure it's a myth that it has to "bring the dirt to the surface". If it makes someone's skin worse it's generally because it's too harsh for their skin. The spots are a sign of irritation.

If you have dry or sensitive skin with only a sew spots something harsh like clearasil will only make it worse. I think it only works for people with very oily skin. Try something a bit more gentle and try and avoid sodium lauryl sulphate as an ingredient.

I've got quite dry skin yeah so I guess I'll get rid of the clearasil. And okay thanks for the advice! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Ayesha1234

Posted from TSR Mobile

That scrub is absolutely terrible for your skin, way too abrasive
Reply 5
Original post by Azul
I think I may thanks :smile:

I've got quite dry skin yeah so I guess I'll get rid of the clearasil. And okay thanks for the advice! :smile:

OP if you have dry/sensitive skin I'd recommend the brand Simple. It's really, well, simple and it's amazing on my super sensitive skin :smile:
Reply 6
I tried everything as a teenager, including being prescribed creams and antibiotics as well as all the non-prescription remedies.

I've bought Neutrogena Oil-free moisturiser and my skin has been flawless in the past 3 days I've had. It is ridiculously effective personally.
Reply 7
Original post by Azul
I don't know if it's a myth or whatever but a few people have told me clearasil gives you spots because it brings the dirt to the surface and after a while makes you spot-free but at the start gives you spots?

I don't know but this face wash I've been using hasn't helped at all and I have more spots than before. Any advice?

Depends how long you've been using it, and yes, in a way it can make you breakout at first. It's got salicylic acid in it, it's a BHA and is able to penetrate deep into the pores to clear it out. If your skin was congested before trying it out then it'll probably make you break out a little bit. Salicylic acid can also be drying for some people so if you have dry skin you should probably not use it

If you've been using it more than 2 weeks and you're still getting spots, get a new cleanser
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by neom
That scrub is absolutely terrible for your skin, way too abrasive

But then again I get a lot of dry skin so maybe it'd help with a tiny bit of exfoliation when I clean my face?

Original post by Sophyla
OP if you have dry/sensitive skin I'd recommend the brand Simple. It's really, well, simple and it's amazing on my super sensitive skin :smile:

Hmm maybe. I have their moisturiser and it's the worst I've ever tried, however, maybe the weakness of products would be good when it comes to keeping my face clean aha. Plus I think they're quite cheap so I think I'll give it a go :smile:

Original post by spocckka
I tried everything as a teenager, including being prescribed creams and antibiotics as well as all the non-prescription remedies.

I've bought Neutrogena Oil-free moisturiser and my skin has been flawless in the past 3 days I've had. It is ridiculously effective personally.

But adding moisturiser to your face daily without a proper cleansing can't be good for the long-term, right? :s

Original post by neom
Depends how long you've been using it, and yes, in a way it can make you breakout at first. It's got salicylic acid in it, it's a BHA and is able to penetrate deep into the pores to clear it out. If your skin was congested before trying it out then it'll probably make you break out a little bit. Salicylic acid can also be drying for some people so if you have dry skin you should probably not use it

If you've been using it more than 2 weeks and you're still getting spots, get a new cleanser

I've been using it around 2 weeks yeah so I guess I'll throw it out. I thought it was ok that it dried out my face 'cause I moisturised after but that logic doesn't seem to work with my face xD Thanks for the advice :smile:
Original post by neom
That scrub is absolutely terrible for my skin, way too abrasive

Fixed for you.
Not everyone's skin is the same and therefore people will find different products work for them.
Reply 10
Original post by Azul

But adding moisturiser to your face daily without a proper cleansing can't be good for the long-term, right? :s

Yeah well I mean clean your face as well...
Reply 11
Original post by parpirate
Fixed for you.
Not everyone's skin is the same and therefore people will find different products work for them.

lol no, that scrub causes microtears on the skin making it very prone to infection and just damaging it in general which is especially bad for people with acne, rocascea, eczema and other skin problems. It's not suitable for facial skin at all.
Reply 12
Original post by Azul
But then again I get a lot of dry skin so maybe it'd help with a tiny bit of exfoliation when I clean my face?

I've been using it around 2 weeks yeah so I guess I'll throw it out. I thought it was ok that it dried out my face 'cause I moisturised after but that logic doesn't seem to work with my face xD Thanks for the advice :smile:

Your face shouldn't feel tight/dry after cleansing, it means it's drying you out and it's not working for you. Get a scrub with round beads in them for exfoliation or you just use a wash cloth to gently exfoliate everyday.

Or you could make a honey and sugar scrub! I've heard good things about it and it smells really tasty :tongue: Honey doesn't go off either so it'll last you a really long time
Reply 13
Clearasil contains alcohol denat which dries the skin out. Most generic high street skin products do. Then you start to over-produce oil to compensate. That's why you get spots from using it.

I'd advise to change to something like Clinique because it's allergy tested, oil free and kind to skin. You get what you pay for.
Reply 14
Original post by Azul

I have had acne and spots... Tried many products.. nothing worked!

But now I am using Gladskin, which works sooo good!! My spots are almost gone and I have no more new breakouts:biggrin:!

I clean my face twice a day, then wash it with hot water and then apply Gladskin!

You should try it! I think it will help you too:biggrin:!

Quick Reply

Latest