The Student Room Group

Why would someone even do this?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by skyblue1991
No because people in the UK are normal.

People in the US are ****ing crazy!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/oct/19/cat-bin-woman-mary-bale
Compared to people in the US, yes a hell of a lot more normal!

EDIT: Just seen you're from Mauritius, I've been in the UK all my life and you haven't. Don't be so patronising.

:lol: I'm not from Mauritius I'm British. I lived there for a few years though. I was born here and educated here (mostly) and I work here. I'm sorry you don't win the grand prize. Thanks for playing though.
Some people don't feel morals or empathy in the same way most people do.

In which case they were probably just curious what would happen or what it would look like. Or maybe they felt angry towards something and decided to express that on to a nearby living thing - some people hit walls while angry. With no strong moral disincentive they decided to indulge this curiosity/anger.

I don't think a psychologically normal person would do this.
Original post by thunder_chunky
:lol: I'm not from Mauritius I'm British. I lived there for a few years though. I was born here and educated here (mostly) and I work here. I'm sorry you don't win the grand prize. Thanks for playing though.

Why were you being so patronising? I think people here in the UK are a lot more normal than in the US. That's not naive, that has come from various things that have happened in recent times.
Why were you being so patronising? I think people here in the UK are a lot more normal than in the US. That's not naive, that has come from various things that have happened in recent times.

The UK comes up with about the same proportion of despicable activities compared to the population as the US does. The US has 5 times the population than the UK and therefore there will be 5 times the amount of despicable crimes too.
Reply 25
People with anti social tendencies, anti social personality disorder, or full blown psychopathy. There's your answer. Does it make me angry? Yes. Do I want to flay zoo-sadists? Yes. Am I surprised this goes on? No. Some people are just evil.
Reply 26
It's disturbing that the individual responsible for this still hasn't been found or is still out there, alive and well.
Reply 27
Original post by Coffinman
Yet people are quite happy to watch their pet cats do the similar to other animals.
Hypocrisy is strong.

I don't know about you, but I've had six cats during my lifetime, and none of them have set another animal alight for pleasure.

One cat (and only one) did hunt mice, however, which is a purely natural instinct for a cat - an animal that doesn't have a sense of morality or the level of reason that a human being has.

If you're referring to people who breed dogs for fighting, then this is very different (the animal being discussed in this thread is a kitten) and you'll probably find similar levels of indignation when such cases are publicised.
No because people in the UK are normal.

People in the US are ****ing crazy!

This happened in the UK, not far from where I grew up
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-19535636
Original post by River85
I don't know about you, but I've had six cats during my lifetime, and none of them have set another animal alight for pleasure.

Then again cats are evil, viscous little ****s, they probably did it elsewhere. They probably meet in an abandoned warehouse and recreate that scene from "Reservoir Dogs."
Reply 30
That point was dealt with earlier in this thread unless your a bit simple and thought I actually meant cats were going round setting mices on fire instead of clawing them infront of their owner.

Original post by Ham22
People with anti social tendencies, anti social personality disorder, or full blown psychopathy. There's your answer. Does it make me angry? Yes. Do I want to flay zoo-sadists? Yes. Am I surprised this goes on? No. Some people are just evil.

But animal rights people also have all those disorders and what about people who want to flay cats that are sadistic to rats?
Reply 31
That point was dealt with earlier in this thread unless your a bit simple and thought I actually meant cats were going round setting mices on fire instead of clawing them infront of their owner.

But animal rights people also have all those disorders and what about people who want to flay cats that are sadistic to rats?

Cats aren't capable of sadism, they're just following their instincts and it doesn't make sense to punish them for doing that- for being cats.
People are capable of morality (where animals are not), and even if you have no conscience, you have the intellectual capacity to realise that your right to do as you please stops where others' rights begin, thus you have no right to be inflicting pain for your own amusement. It's not justifiable. I have little sympathy for you* and your 'nature' (lack of empathy), and you should be flayed.

*not you specifically.
(edited 10 years ago)

I don't think that's true.
Reply 33
Original post by shadowdweller
I've never seen my cat set another animal on fire

Posted from TSR Mobile

cat's probably would if they could though.
Reply 34
Original post by FranticMind
I think that we should set him on fire and see if he can recover.

Yes, extra-judicial, Old Testament style eye-for-an-eye punishments (not even for hurting humans) are always the mark of an advanced and caring society.

As much as I despise cats though, people who do this sort of thing gratuitously should be watched carefully. It's the sort of thing young sociopaths do before they graduate to harming people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending