The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Matey. Matey. Matey. Not everyone is the same. You need to understand that. Some people have very heavy periods and will leak no matter what pad they use. Everyone is different so. Ive been to the doctor for a very heavy period and all they can do is give you tablets. And coolio...

I think thats more what you need to understand as your post stated that 99% of the time leaking will happen. It shouldn't unless there is a problem. YOU are the one who has made a huge generalisation about 99% of girls when it should happen to a minority. You have also showed yourself to be either really ignorant and not paying attention to the fact that the person you quoted was female. it was you who lashed out at said person because their experience was not the same as yours., so MATEY, as I have clearly demonstrated, I do understand this, and as I have clarified, if it IS that heavy, you should see a doctor and it is the minority of girls that will have a problem like this, it will not happen 99% of the time,
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
I think thats more what you need to understand as your post stated that 99% of the time leaking will happen. It shouldn't unless there is a problem. YOU are the one who has made a huge generalisation about 99% of girls when it should happen to a minority. You have also showed yourself to be either really ignorant and not paying attention to the fact that the person you quoted was female. it was you who lashed out at said person because their experience was not the same as yours., so MATEY, as I have clearly demonstrated, I do understand this, and as I have clarified, if it IS that heavy, you should see a doctor and it is the minority of girls that will have a problem like this, it will not happen 99% of the time,

Im entitled to my own opinion and statistics okay. Most of the people i know have leaked so like you said YOUR experiences and quotes are not the same as MINE so shut it okay Bye chick
Youre entitled to your own opinion and experience but you're not entitled to your own facts. And making vast generalisations is pure ignorance.

I'm starting to wonder if you're actually male and trolling... you're the only one who feels the need to hide behind anon to act aggressively and **** stir
Reply 23
Please keep the thread on topic and avoid personal attacks :h:
Reply 24
Some girls have really easy periods that don't make PE impossible at all, however some girls do have the curled up in bed, horrific, don't-know-how-to-live-any-more periods where nothing can save them.

Yes, exercise can make period pain feel better in a lot of circumstances, but when just getting out of bed is a struggle and the last thing you want to do is come out of the foetal position it becomes a lot less of an option. Luckily I never experienced pain anywhere near this crippling when I was at school and never had to miss PE, but later on in life when I had been working for a few years I had ovarian cysts which caused periods so heavy it felt like everything below my torso was being stabbed repeatedly by a rusty knife.

Point is, every girl experiences the time-of-the-month differently. For some it is a breeze and others a monsoon. And every weather related metaphor in between. It can change like the weather too.

I feel it is important for any girl struggling with stuff that bad to go to the doctor though, rather than just use it as an excuse every time. They can check for things like cysts or other causes, and treat it.

Maybe a lot of girls do use periods as an excuse. The trouble is there is very little way of proving - unless anyone is willing to closely inspect their pads or tampons (eew!) whether they are telling the truth or not. It is very tough for the girls who do have it so bad to speak to school nurses etc about it, because we all know how unsympathetic school nurses can be! Tough call.
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
Youre entitled to your own opinion and experience but you're not entitled to your own facts. And making vast generalisations is pure ignorance.

I'm starting to wonder if you're actually male and trolling... you're the only one who feels the need to hide behind anon to act aggressively and **** stir

Female actually.
Reply 26
Can we all not just accept everyone is different? Ive been to each end of the scale.

Ive had periods that were mildly achey and excercise did help. Ive had painless periods (Hooray!:banana:)

Ive also had period pains where it came on suddenly and the person i was with had to half carry, half drag me home because i couldnt stand. i couldnt do anything but lie flat out almost screaming. Luckily for me ive only had pain this intense two or three times. To give you an idea of how painful it was - I was asked seriously if i was giving birth by my mum and my ex bf.

Extreme i know, but my point is that the exercise thing only works to a degree of pain and even if it does work, if your crampy and achey the last thing you want to do is get up and run around.

if you have never experienced an excruciating period pain, then great fantastic!
But appreciate others do and that exercise, paracetamol, whatever arent going to work for them the same way they do for you.

Nor does going to the doc always produce any results - some girls have pcos, endometritus etc, if those types of girls get intense pains, those conditions arent curable and extreme pain killers, like someone mentioned above, can just make you sleepy, further stopping you doing PE.
Then there are girls who have excruciating pains and doctors cant find anything wrong with them at all!

And finally! Even better! There are those girls who suffer vomiting and diarrhea through their periods for perfectly natural reasons (something called prostaglandin, go google), and things like immodium dont always work for these girls. Just the thing to make you want to go run around a pitch!

So will those girls on this thread, who believe intense period pains are something a doctor can easily cure or something you can just get up and work through please give it a rest and just accept you are lucky and that not everyone has such an easy time off it.

I hope my post was also informative for you, OP.
:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by kunoichi
Can we all not just accept everyone is different? Ive been to each end of the scale.

Ive had periods that were mildly achey and excercise did help. Ive had painless periods (Hooray!:banana:)

Ive also had period pains where it came on suddenly and the person i was with had to half carry, half drag me home because i couldnt stand. i couldnt do anything but lie flat out almost screaming. Luckily for me ive only had pain this intense two or three times. To give you an idea of how painful it was - I was asked seriously if i was giving birth by my mum and my ex bf.

Extreme i know, but my point is that the exercise thing only works to a degree of pain and even if it does work, if your crampy and achey the last thing you want to do is get up and run around.

if you have never experienced an excruciating period pain, then great fantastic!
But appreciate others do and that exercise, paracetamol, whatever arent going to work for them the same way they do for you.

Nor does going to the doc always produce any results - some girls have pcos, endometritus etc, if those types of girls get intense pains, those conditions arent curable and extreme pain killers, like someone mentioned above, can just make you sleepy, further stopping you doing PE.
Then there are girls who have excruciating pains and doctors cant find anything wrong with them at all!

And finally! Even better! There are those girls who suffer vomiting and diarrhea through their periods for perfectly natural reasons (something called prostaglandin, go google), and things like immodium dont always work for these girls. Just the thing to make you want to go run around a pitch!

So will those girls on this thread, who believe intense period pains are something a doctor can easily cure or something you can just get up and work through please give it a rest and just accept you are lucky and that not everyone has such an easy time off it.

Finally! Someone who actually agrees with me!!!
Reply 28

That's pretty much exactly what I was trying to say in my previous post! I think you articulated it a lot better than I did though, so thanks for being a voice of reason :colondollar:

I only mentioned going to a Doc because that's what worked for me - turns out cysts were causing the unbearable pain. Still, I can fully understand and accept that it is not the case for everybody. Everyone's different!
Reply 29
Original post by HmMusic
That's pretty much exactly what I was trying to say in my previous post! I think you articulated it a lot better than I did though, so thanks for being a voice of reason :colondollar:

I only mentioned going to a Doc because that's what worked for me - turns out cysts were causing the unbearable pain. Still, I can fully understand and accept that it is not the case for everybody. Everyone's different!

Your post was full of common sense and reason too! :tongue:

Ah im not saying dont go to a doc, just someone said it like it would be the end of all the problems when unfortunately thats not the case. It wasnt you who said it like that though.

I have cysts too, i feel your pain! :frown: x
Reply 30

Yeah... I think I'm completely informed by this thread:headfire: now and now every thing to know on periods; a subject i will never speak of again.
Reply 31
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah... I think I'm completely informed by this thread:headfire: now and now every thing to know on periods; a subject i will never speak of again.

I can only imagine the horror periods must cause in men sometimes :tongue:

and you havent even asked us about period emotions or feminine products yet! So much more to know! :tongue:

(I actually find it impressive when a guy makes the effort to try to understand these things and ask questions :smile: i tried to give you a rep but i wont let me :frown: )
(edited 10 years ago)
I used to occasionally get dreadful periods at school. For the first 1-2 days of the period then it settles down. Not every period as bad, but some of them were just awful.

Weirdly, I can't remember missing PE, maybe on one off occasions... I think it must just be chance it never happened to be terrible in PE hour.

My periods used to wake me in the night, or keep me up all night. I actually burned myself a few times with a hot water bottle pressing it too hot too long against my tummy for relief. Pain medications don't always work.

My flow was also extremely heavy at times and difficult to contain. I never used tampons because my mum didn't introduce me to them, which is a shame because they could have helped with flow issues.

The worst however is that on occasion my period made me very nauseous and caused me to vomit. I recall vomiting on several occasions at school due to my period! Horrible! Nausea and pain, clammy, trying desperately to push up against a radiator for relief or curling forward to clench your tummy. It is just an awful clammy, cramping, twisting, knotting, nauseating pain - like someone has got your guts and is putting them through a clothes press.

I actually missed an A-level exam due to my period (it started that morning). I had to leave to vomit and because of pain. I would have failed if I had stayed. Truly, it was so frustrating because of all of my exams, I was the most prepared for this one. Fortunately my school office was very sympathetic (I think I looked quite dreadful) and I sat the exam the next day.

After that incident I decided to go to the doctor and start hormonal contraception. I still don't like them, but my periods are no longer a nemesis! I will only return to natural periods when I want to conceive! Apparently they get better after a baby.

Latest