The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Transfer into LSE

I'm currently doing BSc Economics degree in UCL, just finished my first year. As I've noticed about the future career opportunity, I would like to transfer into LSE if possible.

Does it mean I have to start from 1st year again? Anyone done university transfer before?

P.S. I'm not suggesting UCL is any worse than LSE, just for the fact that my degree seems less competitive.

Thanks. :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by anita4869
I'm currently doing BSc Economics degree in UCL, just finished my first year. As I've noticed about the future career opportunity, I would like to transfer into LSE if possible.

Does it mean I have to start from 1st year again? Anyone done university transfer before?

P.S. I'm not suggesting UCL is any worse than LSE, just for the fact that my degree seems less competitive.

Thanks. :smile:

why would you do that?

I'm guessing you applied for spring weeks and got none? There were people on LSE Econ who got 5/6 offers and people with none. It varies, the uni alone doesn't guarantee anything.

Your degree is fine, I'd even go as far to say that even if you were at Cambridge or LSE for Economics you'd still get zero offers.

You need to work on other aspects of your application whether it is extra curriculars or commercial awareness or whatever.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Hi, just thought I would let you know that I transferred directly into the second year at LSE so it is possible (although I don't do economics and I know it is a highly competitive course so not sure about that department, but worth a try). I initially applied through UCAS to start again in first year but by the time I received my offer I was more than half way through the year so I requested to enter into the second year.

I'm really happy I transferred, but UCL is a brilliant uni so I don't think you should be concerned over job prospects, especially if you get good work experience! But if it is what you want to do my advice would be to arrange to see the head of department and to make a clear case for why they should consider you for second year (make comparisons between the content of their first year and the modules you have done at UCL). That's what I did before changing and re-submitting my UCAS application.If you approach the head of department first then 1) you know whether to bother applying for second year entry and 2) they will know to look out for your application if they say they will consider it. Also, I talked to LSE admissions first and they told me it was impossible to transfer, so bypass them and go straight for the head of department! I have a feeling it may be too late to apply this year though as I had it all sorted by the middle of May so you may have to take a year out and apply for 2014 entry.

Anyway, sorry for such a long post! All the best :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by yellowhoch91
Hi, just thought I would let you know that I transferred directly into the second year at LSE so it is possible (although I don't do economics and I know it is a highly competitive course so not sure about that department, but worth a try). I initially applied through UCAS to start again in first year but by the time I received my offer I was more than half way through the year so I requested to enter into the second year.

I'm really happy I transferred, but UCL is a brilliant uni so I don't think you should be concerned over job prospects, especially if you get good work experience! But if it is what you want to do my advice would be to arrange to see the head of department and to make a clear case for why they should consider you for second year (make comparisons between the content of their first year and the modules you have done at UCL). That's what I did before changing and re-submitting my UCAS application.If you approach the head of department first then 1) you know whether to bother applying for second year entry and 2) they will know to look out for your application if they say they will consider it. Also, I talked to LSE admissions first and they told me it was impossible to transfer, so bypass them and go straight for the head of department! I have a feeling it may be too late to apply this year though as I had it all sorted by the middle of May so you may have to take a year out and apply for 2014 entry.

Anyway, sorry for such a long post! All the best :smile:

That is really helpful, thanks so much for your information.
And all the best with your studies at LSE. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by User3
why would you do that?

I'm guessing you applied for spring weeks and got none? There were people on LSE Econ who got 5/6 offers and people with none. It varies, the uni alone doesn't guarantee anything.

Your degree is fine, I'd even go as far to say that even if you were at Cambridge or LSE for Economics you'd still get zero offers.

You need to work on other aspects of your application whether it is extra curriculars or commercial awareness or whatever.

Thanks for your reply, I am just a bit hot-headed and said something like that. I guess I am not really planning to do such a major change actually.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending