The Student Room Group

Unit 3 business GCSE edexcel

Scroll to see replies

I thought the exam was very straight forward apart from the last two questions. I thought we were unfortunate to get a 10 marker on such a small area, i.e. the importance of improving cash flow, however hopefully I haven't dropped too many marks.
Reply 21
Original post by NedSchool
How did everyone find it?

Really well! I HOPE I got at least a B what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Joe7
I thought the exam was very straight forward apart from the last two questions. I thought we were unfortunate to get a 10 marker on such a small area, i.e. the importance of improving cash flow, however hopefully I haven't dropped too many marks.

I thought the last question was nice tbh. How many points did you do? I did 2 for and 2 alternatives I think. and then conclusion with 2 reasons and an it depends
Hope I got top band because I usually lose all my marks on the last question :frown:
I think it went well... I ran out of time, so only got to write just short of 2 pages for 10 marker.
My fault was spending too long on the 4 markers.
I hope I got my A*, well I need an A for an A* overall, but kinda want an A* regardless.

Did you guys use the it depends rule for all of you extended essay questions?
I used it for all of them apart from the 8 marker with for and against, as they're essentially 2, 3 mark questions..
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by king_revision
I thought the last question was nice tbh. How many points did you do? I did 2 for and 2 alternatives I think. and then conclusion with 2 reasons and an it depends
Hope I got top band because I usually lose all my marks on the last question :frown:
I think it went well... I ran out of time, so only got to write just short of 2 pages for 10 marker.
My fault was spending too long on the 4 markers.
I hope I got my A*, well I need an A for an A* overall, but kinda want an A* regardless.

Did you guys use the it depends rule for all of you extended essay questions?
I used it for all of them apart from the 8 marker with for and against, as they're essentially 2, 3 mark questions..

I use the "it depends rule" for all 6 markers, 8 markers and 10 markers as it help shows the balance you need for full marks.

For the last question for pro I put improved ability to get a bank loan, creates money to be used to expand into new markets (3D printers as a reference to the context) and not having to do things such as lay off staff if cash flow becomes so bad that they have to downscale. Against I put long term profitability is more important, loss in productivity (from selling assets) and some rubbish I wrote in the last 30 seconds about how the company going bust could actually be a good thing.

Apart from the last two questions I can't really see where I've lost any marks, so hopefully I've got 80 + out of 90.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Joe7
I use the "it depends rule" for all 6 marks, 8 markers and 10 marks as it help shows the balance you need for full marks.

For the last question for pro I put improved ability to get a bank loan, creates money to be used to expand into new markets (3D printers as a reference to the context) and not having to do things such as lay off staff if cash flow becomes so bad that they have to downscale. Against I put long term profitability is more important, loss in productivity (from selling assets) and some rubbish I wrote in the last 30 seconds about how the company going bust could actually be a good thing.

Apart from the last two questions I can't really see where I've lost any marks, so hopefully I've got 80 + out of 90.

hmmm, lets see I wrote about investment to fund long term competitiveness and also funding marketing so that they can keep up todate with market trends, which could help them understand the types of cameras their markets like - allowing them to tailor products,

Contrasting argument, I wrote about how improving profits was much more important and being able to cope with the camera markets competition was important

then at the end i summed up and used it depends at the end. that was the only one i think f**ked up on I think. I may have dropped 1 mark on the 6 markers, but i dunno why :/ I reckon i've got about 75-80 + the thing is that it depends on the marker, cos sometimes the points you're making are valid but the marker is a f*ck up and doesn't know jack sh*t
Reply 25
What did everyone write for What is an export subsidy?

Also, did everyone talk about tariffs and quotas for the 6 marker on Thailand and their manufacturing.

Also, did everyone talk about tariffs and quotas for the 6 marker on Thailand and their manufacturing.

I think i mentioned tariffs. And export subsidy is a measure to reduce the price of goods being sold abroads and encourages exporting firms.
Reply 27

To reduce the price of exports to encourage exporting firms

And in the 6 marker I wrote about how it can have a downside effect on UK businesses as the exports are cheaper abroad and the UK suppliers may lose out, putting a strain on the UK economy.
Original post by charjoel
To reduce the price of exports to encourage exporting firms

And in the 6 marker I wrote about how it can have a downside effect on UK businesses as the exports are cheaper abroad and the UK suppliers may lose out, putting a strain on the UK economy.

I agree
I put something along the lines of:

An export subsidy is a measure taken by the government to incentivise domestic businesses to export goods abroad. They reduce the cost of exporting goods for these businesses through measures such as tax relief and grants to companies exporting goods abroad.
Original post by Joe7
I put something along the lines of:

An export subsidy is a measure taken by the government to incentivise domestic businesses to export goods abroad. They reduce the cost of exporting goods for these businesses through measures such as tax relief and grants to companies exporting goods abroad.

Yeah you might get 2 depending on the marker. One marker may give you 2 easily for that, but if you have a twatty marker, he may pick up on the term cost instead of price (you changed the wording so it means the same thing, but he might be a gay), so you might get 1.
Yeah you might get 2 depending on the marker. One marker may give you 2 easily for that, but if you have a twatty marker, he may pick up on the term cost instead of price (you changed the wording so it means the same thing, but he might be a gay), so you might get 1.

I doubt I'll get less than two for that. The mark scheme itself is very lenient on what is and isn't allowed, so hopefully I should be fine.
Original post by Joe7
I doubt I'll get less than two for that. The mark scheme itself is very lenient on what is and isn't allowed, so hopefully I should be fine.

Yeah that's what i'm saying too dude :biggrin: so long as you've made 2 points or 1 point and then a description and your fine. And you've done more than 2 points and more than 1 description mate :biggrin:

How did you guys find the milkshake one?
What were the questions for it?
Yeah that's what i'm saying too dude :biggrin: so long as you've made 2 points or 1 point and then a description and your fine. And you've done more than 2 points and more than 1 description mate :biggrin:

How did you guys find the milkshake one?
What were the questions for it?

There was one on motivation theory, where I just referenced two parts of Maslow's hierarchy. There was also a question on why staff were required to be happy, but I can't remember exactly what it was.
Same yeah they were nice questions now I think about it :biggrin: I distinctly remember talking about maslow. I also spoke about fringe benefits as that was in a past paper once
Reply 35
I thought the paper was quite hard. I found the 8mark relatively easy but the 10mark was to vague and i had no ideawhat to write for diadvantages. Also i was quite fustrated that there wasnt any graphs or workout questions :frown:. i dont think i did very well :frown:
Original post by CurtisRajar
I thought the paper was quite hard. I found the 8mark relatively easy but the 10mark was to vague and i had no ideawhat to write for diadvantages. Also i was quite fustrated that there wasnt any graphs or workout questions :frown:. i dont think i did very well :frown:

In all fairness, it was a tough exam. I do think the grade boundaries will be lower than previous years as on the previous exams I've had at least good 10 mins spare at end, didn't have much with this. Also, there were a fair few questions throughout that were sketchy.
Reply 37
In all fairness, it was a tough exam. I do think the grade boundaries will be lower than previous years as on the previous exams I've had at least good 10 mins spare at end, didn't have much with this. Also, there were a fair few questions throughout that were sketchy.

Definitley agree with you, possibly 67/90 for an A*?

June 2011- A* was 70
June 2012- A* was 71
(edited 10 years ago)
Definitley agree with you, possibly 67/90 for an A*?

June 2011- A* was 70
June 2012- A* was 71

Personally I think the A* boundary will be somewhere between 70 and 75. Although, I wouldn't be too surprised if it was slightly under 70.
Reply 39
i didnt realise that the grade boundaries were soo low- especially since this exam is worth 50%. :redface:

Quick Reply