The Student Room Group

Is Bale Better Than Messi?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by trrr
People only say Ronaldo would not score as many in the Premier League as he does in La Liga because in his last season at United he scored a respectable 18 in the league and 26 out of the 53 games he played whereas in La Liga he scored an astonishing 26 goals in 29 games in the league and 33 goals out of the 35 games he played that season. Like it or not that is an incredible jump in goalscoring form.

He was injured until the CL started, his first game back was Villareal at home.

Also, the main reason, is because the deal had been agreed for him to join Real Madrid. Fergie has since admitted he asked for one more season and Ronaldo agreed to it.

Up until the Spurs 5-2 he was playing with the look of a smacked arse as well. You could tell he didn't really want to be there.
Reply 81
[QUOTE="Little;42517239" Wilfred="Wilfred"]Yeah like they steamrolled Bilbao :biggrin:? They got battered in both games if I remember correctly. :biggrin:
Let's be honest, us comparing two teams and saying that one'd beat the other doesn't prove much about the strengths of the two leagues. And I'd have to say that if United played Bilbao right now and you had to back a team right now I know who you'd pick.

What the **** are you on about? I know how many goals he got, you said he wouldn't do it over here, well, he has :confused:
31/34 is not a record of more than one goal a game. And it sure as hell doesn't stand up to his La Liga record.

Also he's improved a lot since then, you think Ronaldo would struggle to score against world class defenders like Ryan Shawcross? :biggrin:
I think he'd score less against Stoke than he would against a lot of the lower La Liga teams.

Yeah, Ronaldo and Messi are only good 'cos they play in good teams :rolleyes:

I never said only, someone needs to work on their basic reading skills.
All players, are there to bring out the best in their team mates. That's like, how football works.

Some more than others, are Barcelona set up to play to Pedro's strengths as much as Messi's? No they aren't. My argument was that if you stuck Ronaldo or Messi in the Tottenham team and told the team to play to their strengths they still wouldn't be as good because Tottenham aren't as good as Barca or Madrid.

You didn't say that :biggrin:, you implied Xavi and Iniesta spoon feed Messi goals. If it was that simple, why do Barca look so impotent every time Messi doesn't play? Pedro, Villa, Sanchez and Fabregas are all capable of scoring surely? And yet Barca struggle to score when Messi doesn't play. Messi scores the amount he scores, because he's that good. Don't hate.

I'm fairly sure I did, right where you quoted me, the fact that you didn't understand isn't my fault. I'm assuming you're talking about the Champions league matches rather than La Liga, where they scored twice in 60 minutes without Messi. As for the CL, Bayern Munich and PSG are both fantastic teams, not much more you can say. And I know he's that good, I'm not questioning his skill. You seem to be missing the point.
What's with all these hypothetical arguments anyway? "If so and so was in such and such team"... etc. You have no way to prove this, it's as daft as the classic Stoke line that goes around about Messi.

Not really, what a ridiculous statement. Saying a player wouldn't play as well if you took him out of a world class team and put them into a lesser one is pretty logical. Would Messi score as many in the Port Vale team, we both know the answer.

You've got no reason to say this. Sky have brainwashed you.

I watch a lot of La Liga and the Premier league to start with, and damn me for taking on board the opinions of football experts who's job is to comment on things like this, obviously Sky has just hired people who don't know anything about football what so ever :rolleyes:
Original post by Nickini
What evidence do you have to even suggest that?

Real Madrid and Barcelona dominate La Liga, not because it's full of **** teams, but because they're arguably the two best teams in the world and are full of world class players.

Oh really and what makes your opinion so empirical?

Care to validate you're subjectivity?

Did you not see the CL semi-finals? A 4.5M pole dismantling a 90M defense in one semi and in the other semi, the german champions annihilating Barca home
and away.

Plus, why don't you state the evidence you have to suggest that the worst teams in La Liga are better than the worst teams in the EPL. Along with any
sufficient evidence you can find to support your peculiar claim that Real and Barca are the best teams in the world, and how they have demonstrated it on the pitch.
(edited 10 years ago)
HenryD, you're clutching at straws and twisting my posts, I can't be bothered.

Learn to quote as well please.
Reply 84
Funny how people argue that la liga is easier to play in than the Premier league when you get players from 'average' la liga teams (Carzola, Mata, Silva, Michu, Aguero) coming to the premier league and tearing it apart.

If those players have such an impact, imagine what Messi would do...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 85
Original post by J.Nalbandian14
Oh really and what makes your opinion so empirical?

Care to validate you're subjectivity?

Did you not see the CL semi-finals? A 4.5M pole dismantling a 90M defense in one semi and in the other semi, the german champions annihilating Barca home
and away.

Plus, why don't you state the evidence you have to suggest that the worst teams in La Liga are better than the worst teams in the EPL. Along with any
sufficient evidence you can find to support your peculiar claim that Real and Barca are the best teams in the world, and how they have demonstrated it on the pitch.
I literally don't even know where to begin, no idea why you've completely flown off the handle...

Nothing makes my opinion so empirical, in the same way nothing makes your opinion so empirical. What's your point?

My point about Real/Barcelona was a general statement against the "la liga is **** because Real Madrid and Barcelona dominate it" argument people seem to love to use. Did I say I thought they're the best teams in the world? No. But you could make a decent case that they are (or perhaps were, given, as you mentioned, the recent CL semi-finals), hence the use of the word arguably. Perhaps "two of the best" would phrase it better, which they undeniably are.

As for the part in bold, I never said that (or even suggested it ffs). I just questioned what evidence there was to suggest the bottom teams of the EPL are better than the bottom teams of La Liga. 'You have to prove that they're not?!?!?' is not a valid counter-argument. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Four negs, and only one from someone with any rep power...interesting. Anyone care to actually argue against my points here?
(edited 10 years ago)
La liga makes anyone look like a god, especially when clubs like Madrid and Barca put the ball on a plate for you for every goal.

Comparing goalscoring records is ridiculous, it's like saying Heskey's destorying the A-league so is a world class foward.

Bale all the way :P
Original post by horseradishwarrior
La liga makes anyone look like a god, especially when clubs like Madrid and Barca put the ball on a plate for you for every goal.

Comparing goalscoring records is ridiculous, it's like saying Heskey's destorying the A-league so is a world class foward.

And the award for most ridiculous poster goes to this tool bag :laugh:
Reply 88

Original post by Malevolent

That kid has officially lost his marbles. Stupidest post of 2013 so far, and trust me this tops all those in the relationship forum.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sufistic
That kid has officially lost his marbles. Stupidest post of 2013 so far, and trust me this tops all those in the relationship forum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But what about mahatma ghandi in the TSR FIFA forum. Now that was just jokes and I admit that myself and a couple of others got carried away too in there but he would always treat his tournament elimination like a melancholy tragedy!
Reply 90
Original post by J.Nalbandian14
But what about mahatma ghandi in the TSR FIFA forum. Now that was just jokes and I admit that myself and a couple of others got carried away too in there but he would always treat his tournament elimination like a melancholy tragedy!

He was an epic baby. Where is he now?

That kid went around negging everyone because he lost! Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 91
Not yet. in the future maybe so but it's looking unlikely. Messi if he keeps up this form will be the best player of all time by an immesurable distance.
Reply 92
He was an epic baby. Where is he now?

That kid went around negging everyone because he lost! Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol, won the xbox tournament though :cool: :smug:
Reply 93
Original post by jam277
Lol, won the xbox tournament though :cool: :smug:

You beat me!

(Do you want me to neg you now? Please say no, I can't be bothered to go on the desktop version!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 94
You beat me!

(Do you want me to neg you now? Please say no, I can't be bothered to go on the desktop version!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll say no, neg me later, that guy negging was such a loser.
Original post by Malevolent

Not wrong though am I really? top 3-4 La liga teams aside and you're looking at a league about as good as the Championship..

Why do you think Ronaldo has as many goals as he does games? Sure he's an incredible footballer, but the difference in his United goal tally and Madrid goal tally is ridiculous, if the leagues were equal as you seem to suggest with my post being so "ridiculous" then you're surely implying on his transfer to Madrid Ronaldo suddenly became amazing overnight?

And as far as Messi is concerned, most of his goals are put on a plate by Xavi and Iniesta, yes he's capable of something special, but this is rarely required in the current Barca team... Bales goals this year have come from nothing, they're all his own work to be fair.

As a Spurs fan I can safely say I wouldn't trade Bale for any player in the world right now.
As a Spurs fan

And that's why

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not wrong though am I really? top 3-4 La liga teams aside and you're looking at a league about as good as the Championship..

Why do you think Ronaldo has as many goals as he does games? Sure he's an incredible footballer, but the difference in his United goal tally and Madrid goal tally is ridiculous, if the leagues were equal as you seem to suggest with my post being so "ridiculous" then you're surely implying on his transfer to Madrid Ronaldo suddenly became amazing overnight?

And as far as Messi is concerned, most of his goals are put on a plate by Xavi and Iniesta, yes he's capable of something special, but this is rarely required in the current Barca team... Bales goals this year have come from nothing, they're all his own work to be fair.

As a Spurs fan I can safely say I wouldn't trade Bale for any player in the world right now.

Well if he goes to Real Madrid he can finally showcase his talents at the highest level now. £105 million could be considered quite cheap!
Reply 99
Creator of the thread is absolutely clueless. Anyone with an ounce of knowledge or appreciation for football knows that Messi is a far superior player to Bale.

I could go for a long-winded post explaining why, but it's really not worth the effort. If you're questioning whether Bale is better than Messi than you're beyond help.

Quick Reply

Latest