The Student Room Group

If you smoke until you're 30 and then quit; you'll live as long as never-smokers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dragonfly07
I don't agree that smoking is only harmful after the age of 30. Just because a piece of paper says so doesn't make it true, never mind that it's a newspaper and not a peer reviewed paper. Even if it was a peer reviewed paper I would be sceptical.

Newspapers tend to jump at the most tiny pieces of scientific evidence of things that they think would be controversial/interesting to people and either misinterpret it or just site a really ****ty paper in the majority of the cases.

It's not a newspaper, it was a study by the most influential scientists in the area and involved a 1.2 million person sample!
i quit at 30 (about 14 months ago now) and i still miss it
Original post by medbh4805
Really though? I haven't smoked since before Christmas and it was a few weeks before then - I've never smoked habitually - but I always found it quite pleasant. I like the smell and the taste of it, though I understand that some people don't. The pleasure people get from smoking is not just about addiction...
I guess that could be a point, I hadn't thought about it. I guess I associate the nicer smoke and smell with hookah or pipe smoking more than cigarettes.

Original post by Iron Lady
I'd advocate changing the system so that people pay for their own self-inflicted illnesses.
Where does that end though? Women and men? You need to look at exercise and diet factors. You'd need to introduce some form of insurance style cost system.
Original post by maskofsanity
It's not a newspaper, it was a study by the most influential scientists in the area and involved a 1.2 million person sample!

Then why have you only cited newspapers?
Bad cough, yellow fingers and hands, bad nails and skin...

So what if you still live the same as a non-smoker if yo stop at 30? You'll still have most of the above. Idiots trying to justify smoking.

And then there's actually being able to quit at 30... lmao

Such crap as well, who comes up with the number 30, these generalized studies on 2 people
Then why have you only cited newspapers?

I don't have a subscription to the medical journals that publish the papers as I'm sure most people on TSR don't. If you read the newspapers, they all cite the journals and researchers involved - where do you think the newspapers got the story? Do you think the BBC have labs of their own?!
I don't have a subscription to the medical journals that publish the papers as I'm sure most people on TSR don't. If you read the newspapers, they all cite the journals and researchers involved - where do you think the newspapers got the story? Do you think the BBC have labs of their own?!

Most big studies are free for people to read on the internet. Also most of the people on this forum are students, so they should have access to online journals through their athens account or through their halls/library broadband.

Anyway, none of the newspapers cited the article, they just mentioned which journal it was published on. Also, they don't need to have their own lab but they might want someone who is actually a trained scientist to report on it because mostly they misreport because they interpret the article how they want to interpret it (wrongly mostly).

Edit: also, the newspapers themselves say that WOMEN are the ones who have less risk and that they'll live NEARLY as long as non-smokers, so I guess you're doing a bit of a misreporting on the second sources too.
(edited 10 years ago)
Most big studies are free for people to read on the internet. Also most of the people on this forum are students, so they should have access to online journals through their athens account or through their halls/library broadband.

Anyway, none of the newspapers cited the article, they just mentioned which journal it was published on. Also, they don't need to have their own lab but they might want someone who is actually a trained scientist to report on it because mostly they misreport because they interpret the article how they want to interpret it (wrongly mostly).

Edit: also, the newspapers themselves say that WOMEN are the ones who have less risk and that they'll live NEARLY as long as non-smokers, so I guess you're doing a bit of a misreporting on the second sources too.

The article is here
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(12)61720-6/abstract

You seem to have a strange stance on this, I must say.
Original post by doggyfizzel
The article is here
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(12)61720-6/abstract

You seem to have a strange stance on this, I must say.

I concur...

Yes, the studies have already been done for men, this was to reinforce the previous research and hence was done on a large scale (1.2 million people).

Nearly = minus one month, i.e. negligible.
For 40 years old = minus one year.
Reply 50
i quit smoking about half a year ago, but i still miss it :frown:
I don't agree that smoking is only harmful after the age of 30. Just because a piece of paper says so doesn't make it true, never mind that it's a newspaper and not a peer reviewed paper. Even if it was a peer reviewed paper I would be sceptical.

Newspapers tend to jump at the most tiny pieces of scientific evidence of things that they think would be controversial/interesting to people and either misinterpret it or just site a really ****ty paper in the majority of the cases.

Completely agree.

It's always a crazy headline like "eating broccoli adds 10 years to your life" or some other crap and every gullible turd would lap it up.

OP, 30 isn't this magic number. It doesn't mean everyone that quits at that age will have no health problems ****ing hell don't be so gullible.
Reply 52
Assuming that this is true:

1) It is an average figure, some people can smoke for their whole life and be fine others can smoke for 10 years and get cancer.
2) There are short term effects. Smoking is an incredibly expensive addiction. It reduces taste and smell and reduces overall fitness.
3)It isn't just a matter of quitting once you get to 30. It is highly addictive and most people who smoke for a long time don't ever really get over the addiction. If your betting your health on your ability to quit your probably going to lose.
Reply 53
True, but that's not an argument against those people who smoke in their teens/early twenties and then do quit. It seems that those who do so will be no different to those who have never smoked.

Very few smokers actually manage to quit post-30. Hell, very few smokers quit in general.
Reply 54
Damage to lungs, damage to taste buds fair enough they live as long as non smokers but their quality of life won't be the same
Original post by Ice Constricter
OP, 30 isn't this magic number. It doesn't mean everyone that quits at that age will have no health problems ****ing hell don't be so gullible.

No one said that.

Original post by Aoide

3)It isn't just a matter of quitting once you get to 30. It is highly addictive and most people who smoke for a long time don't ever really get over the addiction. If your betting your health on your ability to quit your probably going to lose.

But if you can it seems you've got the same chance as a never-smoker to live a full life.
Reply 56
If anyone here is stupid enough to test this theory, be my guest...

But remember one thing - Cancer, Bronchitis, Asthma, Emphysema, Stroke, Fertility Issues, Coronary Heart Disease & Peripheral Arterial Disease that smoking causes or is linked too are not limited to 30+ year olds... if you think smoking for 10-15 years will not affect you in the future because you stop at 30... you seriously need a reality check.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by $hadow
If anyone here is stupid enough to test this theory, be my guest...

But remember one thing - Cancer, Bronchitis, Asthma, Emphysema, Stroke, Fertility Issues, Coronary Heart Disease & Peripheral Arterial Disease that smoking causes or is linked too are not limited to 30+ year olds... if you think smoking for 10-15 years will not affect you in the future because you stop at 30... you seriously need a reality check.
It was a study where 1.2 million people put this to the test, and 97% of them were fine.

If you cannot read what the study says and realise what that adds up to, you need to go back to school. The whole reason the study has been published is despite what people think, smoking for 10-15 years for 97% of people, will not affect them in future. That is why its interesting. In 97% of cases, if they stop smoking at 30, those symptoms will be avoided.
Reply 58
Original post by doggyfizzel
It was a study where 1.2 million people put this to the test, and 97% of them were fine.

If you cannot read what the study says and realise what that adds up to, you need to go back to school. The whole reason the study has been published is despite what people think, smoking for 10-15 years for 97% of people, will not affect them in future. That is why its interesting. In 97% of cases, if they stop smoking at 30, those symptoms will be avoided.

I read it, you just have no idea how bias studies can be... where is the research posted publicly? I could not see it, therefore until its analysed & replicated by multiple medical authorities & posted publicly for their methodology & analysis procedures to be seen; its totally criticisable...

Also for the record, there are 7000000000 (7 Billion) in the world; so 3% of 7000000000 is `210000000` ... Meaning 210000000 people would die just through smoking alone... 3% does not sound like a lot until you have real numbers in front of you... this of course is assuming everyone in the world smokes, which they don't; however you get the drift.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by $hadow
I read it, you just have no idea how bias studies can be... where is the research posted publicly? I could not see it, therefore until its analysed & replicated by multiple medical authorities & posted publicly for their methodology & analysis procedures to be seen; its totally criticisable...

Also for the record, there are 7000000000 (7 Billion) in the world; so 3% of 7000000000 is `210000000` ... Meaning 210000000 people would die just through smoking alone... 3% does not sound like a lot until you have real numbers in front of you... this of course is assuming everyone in the world smokes, which they don't; however you get the drift.
I posted it further up. I'm not debating its not criticisable, but you haven't criticised it, you have discounted it out of hand. When you are have looked and come back with a legitimate criticism of the methodology then fine, but the assumption a large long term study published in one of world most respected medial journals is probably wrong, becuase, is just silly.

If being in the 3% is a significant concern to you there are whole host of things which are going to be off limits in your life, such as living it cities, being slightly overweight, not having a perfectly balanced diet. Based on the 6% of deaths from heart disease at 20 you'd be better off taking up cycling than quitting smoking if avoiding death was your issue. You, I and most people do something that is going to increase our risk of death by 3% multiple times on a daily basis.

Quick Reply

Latest