The Student Room Group

M2 Collisions question

Question: Two particles P of mass 2m and Q of mass 3m are moving towards each other with speeds 4u and 2u respectively. The direction of motion of Q is reversed by the impact and its speed after impact is u. This particle then hits a smooth vertical wall perpendicular to its direction of motion. The coefficient of restitution between Q and the wall is 2/3. In the subsequent motion, there is a further collision between Q and P. Find the speeds of P and Q after this collision.

Working:

Firstly I examined the initial collision between P and Q in order to find the speed of P after collision. Using the principle of of conservation of linear momentum, I found a resultant speed for P = -u/2 ms-1.

Next I considered the collision between Q and the wall, using the information given to find a speed of rebound for Q = 2u/3 ms-1.

Using these two expressions I then tried to find the subsequent speeds of each particle after the third collision. At this point I got stuck as the question doesn't tell us the coefficient of restitution between P and Q, and as a result I could only find a single equation linking the missing speeds so couldn't solve simultaneously. Is it that I'm not fully grasping the question or is it that a value for the coefficient of restitution between P and Q is needed? As always I'd really appreciate any help given.

(N.B. the answers are given only in terms of u)
Hey Ndifuna :smile:

You're quite right, a value for e between P and Q is needed, but we can deduce this from the first collision.

Speed of approach between P and Q: 4u + 2u = 6u
Speed of separation: u + 1/2 u = 3/2 u

The speed of separation is from your calculated value of the resultant speed of P, and the value you are told for the speed of Q, after the first collision - plus the fact that you have worked out that both directions of motion are reversed in that collision.

Hence

ep,q = vsep / vapp = (3/2 u) / (6u) = 3/12.

Now, you seem able to finish the question yourself :smile:
Hope this helps,
Jack
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jacksdrobinson

= 3/12.

=1/4

+rep.
Oh dear.

*hides head in hands*

I do that kind of thing in class all the time too :colondollar:
Thanks for the rep :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by jacksdrobinson
Hey Ndifuna :smile:

You're quite right, a value for e between P and Q is needed, but we can deduce this from the first collision.

Speed of approach between P and Q: 4u + 2u = 6u
Speed of separation: u + 1/2 u = 3/2 u

The speed of separation is from your calculated value of the resultant speed of P, and the value you are told for the speed of Q, after the first collision - plus the fact that you have worked out that both directions of motion are reversed in that collision.

Hence

ep,q = vsep / vapp = (3/2 u) / (6u) = 3/12.

Now, you seem able to finish the question yourself :smile:
Hope this helps,
Jack

Ah thanks I get it now!

If you have the time could you take a look at this as well:

Question: Two small spheres P and Q of equal radius have masses m and 3m respectively. Sphere P is moving with speed 12u on a smooth horizontal table when it collides directly with Q which is at rest on the table. The coefficient of restitution between P and Q is 2/3. After the collision Q hits a smooth vertical wall perpendicular to the direction of its motion. The coefficient of restitution between Q and the wall is 4/5. Q then collides with P a second time. Find the speeds of P and Q after the second collision between P and Q.

It seems like pretty standard stuff to me but I think I'm making a sign error somewhere towards the end and I can't work out why despite my efforts. Would appreciate it if someone could clear up my confusion.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ndifuna Ukwazi

Would appreciate it if someone could clear up my confusion.

I got velocities after first collision as -3u, 5u.
After hitting wall is -3u, -4u.
After 2nd collision, -17u/4, -43u/12.
Reply 6
Original post by ghostwalker
I got velocities after first collision as -3u, 5u.
After hitting wall is -3u, -4u.
After 2nd collision, -17u/4, -43u/12.

Thanks ghostwalker. I get the same values for the first two collisions but a slightly different answer for the third:

(Using the coefficient or restitution):

(q - p)/u = 2/3
3(q - p) = 2u
3q - 3p = 2u
3q = 2u + 3p

(Using conservation of linear momentum):

3mu + 12mu = mp + 3mp
15u = p + 3q
3q = 15u - p

Therefore,

2u + 3p = 15u - p
4p = 13u
p = 13u/4

and

3q = 15u - 13u/4
3q = 47u/4
q = 47u/12

Looking at the line highlighted in bold, it is clear than if I had -2u on the LHS instead of positive 2u I would have got the right answer, but I've been through the question a few times now and get the same equation out every time. Any thoughts?

(Using the coefficient or restitution):

(q - p)/u = 2/3
3(q - p) = 2u
3q - 3p = 2u
3q = 2u + 3p

Firstly, were the values I got correct?

Then, I'm suspicious of the line in bold, and think it should be (p - q)/u = 2/3 as p > q.

I note that you've switched around +ve and -ve for this second collision, which is fine.
Reply 8
Original post by ghostwalker
Firstly, were the values I got correct?

Then, I'm suspicious of the line in bold, and think it should be (p - q)/u = 2/3 as p > q.

I note that you've switched around +ve and -ve for this second collision, which is fine.

They agree with the answers in the back of the book so I think it's fair to say they're right.

I've had a look at my diagram and I think I can see why it should be (p - q) rather than (q - p). If it was (q - p) then I think the spheres would coalesce, which in terms of the information given would just be a presumption. In hindsight I think I must have confused p and q for the speeds of approach rather than separation and therefore worked on the basis that q > p. Really helpful as always, thank you!
(edited 10 years ago)

thank you!

You're welcome.
It seems you've got it covered.
Sorry, I was out yesterday. Glad you found it helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest