The Student Room Group

TSR Guitar Society Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this thread! A little about me: I own a Charvel San Dimas, a Fender 72' Tele custom, Epiphone Les Paul standard.
My music tastes vary and include Oasis, The Smiths, RHCP, almost all electric blues (Muddy Waters, BB King etc etc) Rolling Stones.... you get the picture!

I play in a band too and you can listen to me playing guitar here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR8VsjehDXI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrelgXt5RgA

So, hello!!
Damn, new thread - didn't even realise. Hope everyone is well.
Hi is anyone able to help me out? I'm on a guitar hunt as I need to escape from my currently broken 1/4 guitar that I started playing on and now I have been playing for at least two months and feel grown up to buy a full size descent guitar.

My top price is about £90 and I looking for a good brand name too. Been searching the web and due to my lack of knowledge on guitar types and brands I can't between cheap copy brands you find on ebay and good well known and respected brands. What can you suggest me? :smile:
Reply 64
I am seriously considering selling my USA standard Telecaster (natural, maple fingerboard) for something much more "vintage" like a Baja Tele or even a used 52 reissue.

I just can't bond with the Standard at all, which is strange as I love my USA Standard Strat!

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Has anyone played a Baja / 52 reissue extensively?
Reply 65
hey guys, i'm looking to buy a new prs soon. i'm considering buying a prs se custom 24 and came across this... http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=11102017215758#main-product-overview.

why is this one so much cheaper than the other prs se custom 24's? i literally can't find any difference other than the colour, and it's over £100 cheaper!

thank you! :smile:
Original post by 1992LP
I am seriously considering selling my USA standard Telecaster (natural, maple fingerboard) for something much more "vintage" like a Baja Tele or even a used 52 reissue.

I just can't bond with the Standard at all, which is strange as I love my USA Standard Strat!

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Has anyone played a Baja / 52 reissue extensively?

Maybe you've just got an infatuation for old blonde teles? Gotta say, they are pretty guitars. Try tdpri for advice on changing, I can't really say much because I've only got about two minutes of experience with telecasters.

Original post by KiranG
hey guys, i'm looking to buy a new prs soon. i'm considering buying a prs se custom 24 and came across this... http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=11102017215758#main-product-overview.

why is this one so much cheaper than the other prs se custom 24's? i literally can't find any difference other than the colour, and it's over £100 cheaper!

thank you! :smile:

It could be that the particular guitar in the link there is an older model so perhaps they're trying to clear stock (if you look at the position of the tone and volume knobs, it's different to the 2013 ones which guitarguitar also sell). It could also be to do with the colour as well. It's a natural finish which is cheaper to produce so that might be partly why it's cheaper. If it happens to be a less popular selling guitar as a result of its colour, then that might also be a cause for a price drop.
Reply 67
Original post by megadeath999
It could be that the particular guitar in the link there is an older model so perhaps they're trying to clear stock (if you look at the position of the tone and volume knobs, it's different to the 2013 ones which guitarguitar also sell). It could also be to do with the colour as well. It's a natural finish which is cheaper to produce so that might be partly why it's cheaper. If it happens to be a less popular selling guitar as a result of its colour, then that might also be a cause for a price drop.

Oh yeah, I didn't notice that. But I guess none of those differences really matter - the guitars are essentially the same otherwise so the vintage natural definitely seems like the better option. Thanks! :smile:
Reply 68
Original post by megadeath999
Maybe you've just got an infatuation for old blonde teles? Gotta say, they are pretty guitars. Try tdpri for advice on changing, I can't really say much because I've only got about two minutes of experience with telecasters.

I think I do, a Telecaster should always have a black scratchplate! Here is mine:

It is actually a lovely guitar, I might modify it instead. I am thinking brass 3 saddle bridge and hotter pickups.

I have heard of that website, will check it out! :smile:
Reply 69
Am I the only one that's really getting annoyed at the hype of playing metal? I mean its all I see a lot of fellow guitarists play, and they judge me on how many notes I can mindlessly shred a second. I admit I'm not the fastest player, yet this is because I have no interest in metal, I excel in and enjoy more the Hendrix / Frusciante style of playing; Funk, psychadelic and alt rock. Anyone else that really enjoys playing these styles? I'm feeling lonely:rolleyes:
JA362 tried to kill the metal. But he failed as he was struck to the ground!

No Jk... I also don't (can't) play any supersonic metal solos. You have to admit it can sound cool.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Reply 71
Original post by JA362
Am I the only one that's really getting annoyed at the hype of playing metal? I mean its all I see a lot of fellow guitarists play, and they judge me on how many notes I can mindlessly shred a second. I admit I'm not the fastest player, yet this is because I have no interest in metal, I excel in and enjoy more the Hendrix / Frusciante style of playing; Funk, psychadelic and alt rock. Anyone else that really enjoys playing these styles? I'm feeling lonely:rolleyes:

Funny, from my experience there is actually a larger hype surrounding being able to play like Hendrix/Frusciante than "mindlessly shredding". Either way I just play what I enjoy, genre doesn't matter. I have no idea what style I like nowadays... but yeah Hendrix, great fun. Used to really enjoy learning his stuff, haven't in years though now probably.
Reply 72
Can anyone in this thread help me? I'm looking to buy some new gear but am stuck completely. I'll probably have about £1000-£1500 to spend but I don't know whether to buy another amp head or a guitar?

Anyone got any good gear they want to recommend?
Reply 73
Original post by tomj45
Can anyone in this thread help me? I'm looking to buy some new gear but am stuck completely. I'll probably have about £1000-£1500 to spend but I don't know whether to buy another amp head or a guitar?

Anyone got any good gear they want to recommend?

What gear do you have at the moment, and what sort of music do you play?

You could get a lovely USA Fender and a Blackstar HT-60 for that :smile:

Totally depends what you like though! With that budget, that is what I would buy. Or maybe a Vintage Reissue if it was just for a guitar. Mmm....
Reply 74
Original post by 1992LP
What gear do you have at the moment, and what sort of music do you play?

You could get a lovely USA Fender and a Blackstar HT-60 for that :smile:

Totally depends what you like though! With that budget, that is what I would buy. Or maybe a Vintage Reissue if it was just for a guitar. Mmm....

I've got a marshall JVM205 head in 1936 cab, a MIM fender telecaster, charvel san dimas and an epiphone les paul. I've looked at the blackstar stuff longingly for ages but haven't decided what I want! The HT 40 was on my list for a while but I want to know if it is worth looking into the artisan series
Reply 75
Hello fellow TSR people
I've been through the music threads and I haven't seen any about playing guitar or anything, so I decided to make one since I'm self teaching myself guitar, and any advice would be useful.

Feel free to discuss anything, like what guitar you use, techniques etc...
Original post by jeje198
I'm self teaching myself guitar, and any advice would be useful.

Is there anything particular you need help/advice for? If so just shout :smile:
Reply 77
I've also been self-teaching myself guitar for just under a year now. I'm alright but I fear I've gone as far as I can go on my own without any lessons. There's certain things like barre chords, picking strings etc that I just can't seem to get my head around.
Reply 78
Original post by Tom_green_day
Is there anything particular you need help/advice for? If so just shout :smile:

What advice do you have about the way in which you learn chords, like the order because atm I'm pretty much learning them randomly and practising switching between them

Also, when should I start playing actual songs
I like playing with my instrument.

And I mean two things by that! :perv:

Quick Reply

Latest