The Student Room Group

Cardigans on men, yes or no?

This just sends me to the Asos homepage?

Nevertheless, cardigans are great! Men should wear them, I don't see why you even had to ask whether cardigans should be on men? Like most pieces of clothing, if you wear it well then it will look masculine and perfect.
Reply 2
I find them a little risky to be honest. I have seen some that look good, though I don't own any personally.

I don't particularly like that one because it looks a bit too thin and plain.
Some can look good with a cardi, others don't... not really that helpful but it's the truth.
Yes! I like wearing cardigans. However, you have to be careful with what you're wearing underneath, because it can look a bit weird. If your cardigan is a little big/baggy, you could end up looking like a pensioner...
Reply 5
Most can't pull it off.

One of my mates wears them though and it suits him. Geek chic I guess. I could never pull a cardigan off though, not a fan anyway.
Reply 6
Original post by tooosh
Most can't pull it off.

One of my mates wears them though and it suits him. Geek chic I guess. I could never pull a cardigan off though, not a fan anyway.

Original post by Cocopuff Crazy
Yes! I like wearing cardigans. However, you have to be careful with what you're wearing underneath, because it can look a bit weird. If your cardigan is a little big/baggy, you could end up looking like a pensioner...

Original post by ironandwine
Some can look good with a cardi, others don't... not really that helpful but it's the truth.

Original post by Redolent
I find them a little risky to be honest. I have seen some that look good, though I don't own any personally.

I don't particularly like that one because it looks a bit too thin and plain.

So what do people want instead? I want something that isn't too casual, so smart-ish.
I'm a big fan as long as you keep to the standard colours - black, grey and navy. And they're casual, smart casual (office appropriate) at a push. V neck jumpers are more smart casual.
Reply 8
Original post by Jsee
So what do people want instead? I want something that isn't too casual, so smart-ish.

Blazer, shirt, jeans? Grey white blue is the image I have in my mind. Again not too many people can pull it off but much more can than a cardigan.
Reply 9
Original post by Jsee

Cardigans are smart-casual, but the colour of it is vital; go for darker colours such as navy, black or charcoal gray. Anything else is pretty off.

Use this for reference: http://www.fashionbeans.com/2012/mens-smart-casual-outfit-inspiration/

Your alternative is a blazer as mentioned above, but make sure its a linen or cotton one for the hot weather.

Dark jeans, brown leather belt and brown loafers/brogues? Pretty unoffensive, can't go wrong here.
Reply 10
I'm not a fan, they do make guys look a bit grandadish in fact i've never seen one look good
Reply 11
Original post by ash93

Dark jeans, brown leather belt and brown loafers/brogues? Pretty unoffensive, can't go wrong here.

Cheers for the advice. Do you think brogues go with shorts? Like this:
http://www.asos.com/ASOS/ASOS-Brogues-With-Micro-Sole/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=2589813&cid=11941&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=-1&sort=3&clr=Grey

I'd say no.
But then again, I'm really iffy with shorts - I feel the only thing appropriate to wear with them is flip flops. I'd agree to boat shoes at a stretch!
Reply 13

Those brogues could, but it would be rather difficult to pull off. Nice light colour, suede, white sole and lace; they look nice and casual, but brogues definitely suit trousers.

Personally I'm not very well versed when it comes to shorts since I never wear them.

The pointed toe of the brogue might look odd when paired with no socks and exposed legs.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Yes yes yes.
As long as the guy wearing it doesn't have really skinny arms - you know have a bit of muscle or something then it can look really attractive :h:
Reply 15
Personally, I would say no as most of the guys I have seen wearing cardigans tend to go for that Hipster or Indie Chav look which I don't find attractive but each to their own.
Reply 16
I love cardigans! But only if they look right, and obviously we don't know what you look like so we can't make that judgment.
Reply 17
Wouldn't buy a light grey cardigan, I think navy or dark grey and pair it with something more colourful underneath.

Quick Reply

Latest