The Student Room Group

Why are some "friends" so jealous of ambitious people?

I'm usually a nice person but I've had to deal with some friendship issues lately due to people being jealous and it's kind of annoyed me. I no longer speak to the "friends" in question as the way they behaved wound up being atrocious, but I've noticed this in some other people I know and I'm not sure what I do that's annoying them so much.

I have a really bad family background (divorced parents, mother with multiple unreliable boyfriends) I never tell anyone at uni about, but despite this I managed to work hard and make something of my life and am now in my second year at a great uni doing a nice subject. At school I barely had any friends though I wasn't really bullied either, but as I get involved in everything at uni I have quite a wide friendship group and am on several society committees/play hockey for the uni etc.

I've always treated my uni friends really decently as due to my background I have a strong set of morals, but I'm one of the most ambitious people I know (I'm determined to make something of my career) and this seems to piss a lot of people off. I don't exactly swan around or constantly mention what I've achieved, but a lot of my friends don't even like it/try to tell me I can never achieve stuff when I tell them I'm applying for a particular internship or keep posting pictures on FB (one of my friends always complains about it to me just because my photos are "clogging up his newsfeed" and "why do I go to clubs so much?").

I had to cut a particular group of people (they were heavy drug takers and very cliquey) out of my life recently for talking behind my back, apparently studying more than 5 hours a day is a crime, and I'm going to "grow up to be one of those people who works 24/7 and dies early of a heart attack." :rolleyes:

I think when I got to uni people assumed I was going to fail because I don't come from a particular background and was really nice though my social life was non-existent, so now they're just being unsupportive every time I go for something.

I can't change who I am though, I'll always be ambitious. When I put myself down, people use that and my niceness to walk all over me; when I'm honest about who I really am, they seem to assume I'm "up myself." Advice?
Reply 1
The problem is with them, not you. I don't see any reason why you need to do anything.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I'm usually a nice person but I've had to deal with some friendship issues lately due to people being jealous and it's kind of annoyed me. I no longer speak to the "friends" in question as the way they behaved wound up being atrocious, but I've noticed this in some other people I know and I'm not sure what I do that's annoying them so much.

I have a really bad family background (divorced parents, mother with multiple unreliable boyfriends) I never tell anyone at uni about, but despite this I managed to work hard and make something of my life and am now in my second year at a great uni doing a nice subject. At school I barely had any friends though I wasn't really bullied either, but as I get involved in everything at uni I have quite a wide friendship group and am on several society committees/play hockey for the uni etc.

I've always treated my uni friends really decently as due to my background I have a strong set of morals, but I'm one of the most ambitious people I know (I'm determined to make something of my career) and this seems to piss a lot of people off. I don't exactly swan around or constantly mention what I've achieved, but a lot of my friends don't even like it/try to tell me I can never achieve stuff when I tell them I'm applying for a particular internship or keep posting pictures on FB (one of my friends always complains about it to me just because my photos are "clogging up his newsfeed" and "why do I go to clubs so much?").

I had to cut a particular group of people (they were heavy drug takers and very cliquey) out of my life recently for talking behind my back, apparently studying more than 5 hours a day is a crime, and I'm going to "grow up to be one of those people who works 24/7 and dies early of a heart attack." :rolleyes:

I think when I got to uni people assumed I was going to fail because I don't come from a particular background and was really nice though my social life was non-existent, so now they're just being unsupportive every time I go for something.

I can't change who I am though, I'll always be ambitious. When I put myself down, people use that and my niceness to walk all over me; when I'm honest about who I really am, they seem to assume I'm "up myself." Advice?

How I wish I had your amazing drive :frown:

It seems like they are jealous more than anything, and find it hard that you can do it while they can't.
Having such a way with things is very good attribute :smile:
Reply 3
These are not real friends, enemies disguised as friends. Be glad you cut them out.
Clearly they are jealous of you.
Be happy you cut them out of your life :smile:!
You don't need to do anything, I think it's great to see someone who's well motivated and has ambitions. You need not make any effort with those who are jealous because of your mindset, they'll only serve to put you down.
Reply 6
Don't let no bad minded heads try get near you.
If they're not on your level they'll never hear you

-Skinnyman
Reply 7
You have a great attitude, and it'll get you places. You don't need to change and your friends will regret their lack of effort when you're in an amazing job etc. Don't necessarily cut them out completely, though. Try (not that it sounds like you are) not to brag about the fact you want to do well (your friends might have a bit of low self-confidence), but ignore what they say:-)
Don't let them get to you OP. I know exactly how you feel.

They'll see in the future eh? :wink:
You can die early from a heart attack if you're ambitious and work hard?!? :K:
allow them fam. aint worth ur time
Reply 11
Original post by slacker07906

I feel your story. I am having the same thing happen to me here in Canada. Although I am not sure if moving to the UK for 2 more degrees won't make things much better with them either....:s-smilie:

I suggest you surround yourself with people who are more content with themselves.

**edit** I quoted the wrong person by accident. I meant to quote the author of the threads.
I had this issue too. Just cut them out and one day when you're their boss see what they have to say then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by slacker07906

Apparently :facepalm2:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending