The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

RE: Japanese BA, entrance with JLPT

Scroll to see replies

The student loan company said that was okay? If you haven't already, get that in writing. It was my understanding that if you have a degree (even if you didn't take out a loan and you paid for it yourself), you are not allowed to take out a student loan to do another degree because of the ELQ policy.
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 21
Original post by Squaresquirrel
I was in a similar situation. I dropped out of university twice due to illness and was very ill for a good few years. I was very up-front about it in my statement explaining how experiencing and over-coming my illness developed me as a person etc. (Although I was careful to mention that I am recovered now)

I kinda hope that the anime/manga crowd don't out-number everyone else but I get the feeling that come September there will be quite a few. But here's hoping.

I don't go to Sheffield although it made my shortlist. Was between SOAS and Sheffield but I decided I would rather live at home to reduce stress etc.

I have applied again this year. declining offeres i did recieve the previous year and i mentioned my illness and genuine reasons for my situation this time. My statement felt much more "personal" this time around tho i was carful not to give too much privacy and detail but outline the situation and be honest. Tell them its made me stronger and all that so, i hope like you i get an offer from unis i would happily go to this time around. thanks again for ur previous advice a year or so ago ^^
Original post by Glenn,
I have applied again this year. declining offeres i did recieve the previous year and i mentioned my illness and genuine reasons for my situation this time. My statement felt much more "personal" this time around tho i was carful not to give too much privacy and detail but outline the situation and be honest. Tell them its made me stronger and all that so, i hope like you i get an offer from unis i would happily go to this time around. thanks again for ur previous advice a year or so ago ^^

No worries, always happy to help :biggrin: What unis have you applied to this cycle??
Reply 23
Original post by Squaresquirrel
No worries, always happy to help :biggrin: What unis have you applied to this cycle??

Sheffield, Manchester, Leeds, UCLAN, Oxford Brookes

The last 2 were more of a safe bet. However yesterday i got an unconditional from Sheffield which is actually my 1st choice so im pretty happy now and thank u again for ur advice. Im glad i didnt accept Leeds last year as it paid off and i got my 1st choice this time around.
Original post by Glenn,
Sheffield, Manchester, Leeds, UCLAN, Oxford Brookes

The last 2 were more of a safe bet. However yesterday i got an unconditional from Sheffield which is actually my 1st choice so im pretty happy now and thank u again for ur advice. Im glad i didnt accept Leeds last year as it paid off and i got my 1st choice this time around.

Well done on getting your first choice! I'm happy everything has worked out for you :biggrin:
Reply 25
Old post is old.

Thanks for the comments everyone, I'd completely forgotten about this.

I'll be studying Chemistry at Durham University come October. It's hard to believe I once considered studying Japanese as a potential vocation, although the skill certainly seemed to sell me at the interview! My result in the top 5% worldwide for that level can't have hurt my chances and a few weeks ago I was offered a place unconditionally.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending