The Student Room Group

A little help, some words of wisdom....

Eloz
Alright ppl, I need serious help, I want to do Medicine but I haven’t got the string of A* that most people have. I went to a crap skl…although one can say going to the type of school doesn’t matter it’s the effort u put in to it that does! Well that’s all rubbish a crap skl means crap education and crap grades...........

For my GCSEs I had
1A* in Rs ( I wish now I got that in something like maths/science….
8 As…..
And 1 B in Biology (did triple award) (just had to get a B in biology why cudnt it be Textiles?)

Now my first question is
1) will these grades get me into a medical school? Where competition is so high…do I even stand a chance wid ppl that have dozens of A*s???

Now I do the IB…so um I don’t get exams dis year…but im predicted 36 points….most unis ask for 36…which is okay…no worries dere…

So considering my situation… ive thought of applying to less prestigious universities…no point in applying to unis…that will just reject me is there?...

Ive thought of applying at these unis…
1) Brighton and Sussex Medical School –
2) Leeds
3) Leicester
4) Queen Marys, London

Now…. i don’t really know much about any of these unis… just that choice 1,4 are pretty easy to get in to…is that even true???

Which one of these universities is the best for medicine?
Do dese unis that my teacher suggested have low standards???

All I want is any information on dese unis…
their acceptance rate…how many ppl apply dere… etc
whether they will accept a low GCSE profile like mine…
their reviews..
any1 know someone whose been to dese unis and did medicine?
How did they find dere course?
I just want reviews from ppl regarding these unis…anything u got will help…ive been on their sites… but I need more information ….. any help wud be greatly appreciated..

Also are any of in my situation? Wid low GCSEs what have u decided to do???

Thankz
Reply 1
Your GCSEs aren't poor, they probably meet the majority of med schools' requirements.

Also, there is no such thing as a bad med school nor one that is easy to get in to. Brighton Sussex is apparently one of the hardest to gain a place at, as they have one of the highest application:tongue:lace ratios. No med school has low standards; they are all approved by the gmc and all are equally reputable (apart from to people with their heads stuck up their own arses).

You should research the various medical schools you like the look of and decided whether the course/uni/city will suit you. Playing the statistics game rarely plays off; med schools perceived as being easy to get in to are often the most competitive. Pick universities you think you will be happy at for upwards of 5 years.

You need to start thinking about work experience also...
Reply 2
Barts and the London is not easy to get into! Has one of the higher applications per place ratio of the London med schools...

People assume that, as it is was forced to merge with QMUL in 1995 (and indeed the two medical colleges with each other) then it must be ****e. The London is the oldest medical school in England and Wales (beaten by St Andrews, although the Bute School doesn't educate clinical medics so I guess we could snatch that crown too :wink: ), and Barts is the oldest hospital in the UK... There's a lot of prestigue etc that goes with that...

My advice would be to take your head out of your arse, apply for some 'prospecti', and sign up for a few open days...
Reply 3
Firstly, there really is no such thing as a med school that's easy to get to. Do not apply to med schools on the basis that they are easier to get to.

Your GCSE grades are fine. Anyway more weight would be give to your IB grades.

I suggest you should research the unis that interest you. IF you are worried about your GCSE grades, why don't you contact the med schools you are applying to to see whether you are disadvantaged with those grades. I would not recommend playing the stat game. Applicant per place ratio stats won't necessarily tell you much about the competitiveness of the med schools' application proces. After all, it tells you nothing about the quality of the applicants. I'm pretty sure OXbridge have relatively low applicant per place ratio compared to some other med schools, but I doubt any one would suggest that OXbridge med schools were easy to get into.
Reply 4
Dn't forget to factor in the UKCAT either - most medical schools are using this (or BMAT), and there are now only a handful of schools that do not have a selection examination... It doesn't matter how good your grades are if you bomb out on this...
Reply 5
Firstly, I'd like to agree with what everyone has had to say on this thread. Apply somewhere that you actually WANT to go to. Alot of people apply places because they're "easy" to get into but get rejected because their stuck up attitude. You can't just walk into any old medical school. Also, most medical schools will be more interested in what you do out of college than JUST your grades. Obviously you need to attain a certain standard but it's not the be all and end all.

I'll give you some scenarios based on people that I've known who have applied to do vet science and medicine:

Person A, applied to do medicine at Cambridge, very nice, caring individual, had a killer Personal Statement, she had loads of extracurricular activities (Grade 8 piano, grade 5 singing, DoE, had a part time job, went abroad to volunteer etc), very motivated, lateral thinker. Got offered 3 A's from Cambridge and she put it as her firm choice, but got accepted when she got AAB.

Person B, applied to do medicine at "easy" schools, no extra curricular activities and quite a 2 D personality, got rejected from all his places but MIGHT be accepted to one of his choices if not enough people firmly accept their offers.

Person C, applied to do vet science, very up himself and big headed, achieved 10 A*s (and I can't remember how many A's at GCSE), got 4 A's at A Level, did DoE and of course he thought he was BOUND to get in - got rejected from all his choices :rolleyes:

Which person are you? :p: :cool:

Latest

Trending

Trending