The Student Room Group

Grammar school or normal school?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Hey OP, nice to see you again, I'll try not to be biased and say chis & sid, but I also got into haberdashers last year and decided not to go because I didn't like the environment and everyone there seemed snobby, one of my friends ended up going, and she hated it at first, but she is adapting. I don't know anyone who goes townley but a few have came to chis & sid from there, and have regretted, others not so much.

At the end of the day, its down to what you want, visit the schools on the induction days and decide from there, that's when I realised that I actually wanted to come chis & sid, because before then, I didn't even want to apply there (I applied on the day of the deadline)

In terms of time, I live like half an hour away from chis, but I wake up at 6, leave my house at 6:50/7 to avoid traffic because of all the other schoolkids around, then again, I live on the other side of the school to you.

Choose the school you like, not the one you think will look the most impressive, I'm ultimately glad that I decided to make my decision like that.

hey :smile: i like all the schools and when i visited habs it didnt appear to be snobbish, it was normal to me. however, ill take into account everything you have said and wait for the induction days
Original post by unique_freak
hey :smile: i like all the schools and when i visited habs it didnt appear to be snobbish, it was normal to me. however, ill take into account everything you have said and wait for the induction days

Maybe it was my year then last year. I remember waiting to be interviewed, then some students just walked passes us screwing us, I was completely turned off the school then, besides, I went addeys secondary, which is probably why they were screwed me haha

Yeah, its the best thing, also familiarise yourself with what they'd expect from you, like at chis, everyone does either PE or DofE at least once a week
Reply 22
Original post by Iron Lady
Universities don't care about which school you went to, as long as you meet the requirements.

I don't think there is much difference between a state school or a grammar school, only the students you'll encounter.

At sixth form there will be a better learning environment at both.

Just pick based on subjects.

both sixth forms do my subjects
Reply 23
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Maybe it was my year then last year. I remember waiting to be interviewed, then some students just walked passes us screwing us, I was completely turned off the school then, besides, I went addeys secondary, which is probably why they were screwed me haha

Yeah, its the best thing, also familiarise yourself with what they'd expect from you, like at chis, everyone does either PE or DofE at least once a week

haha maybe...yeah ill look into what they expect from me and what they also have to offer
haha maybe...yeah ill look into what they expect from me and what they also have to offer

Remember, if you do have any other questions, feel free to pm me! You've still got a lot of time to make up your mind
Both Chid and sids and townley having great reputation and they will give you a great adcemic grounding . I'm fairly local and do a similar journey to another grammar school and i have to say i dont regrett it and neither do the people i know how go to chis and sid or townley
Reply 26
Original post by social outcast
Both Chid and sids and townley having great reputation and they will give you a great adcemic grounding . I'm fairly local and do a similar journey to another grammar school and i have to say i dont regrett it and neither do the people i know how go to chis and sid or townley

really? how long does it take for you to get to your school? do you still revise properly?
Obviously there are differences between every school and some state schools might even be better than grammars, and vice versa. Therefore, if you want to learn and do well then you can do it no matter which school you went to.
As for your other question, students who went to an 'underperforming' school and got good grades will have a slight advantage over others.
Reply 28
do you think its worth travelling for 1hr15mins to chis n sid? is the school really that good? do they offer lots of extra curricular activities such as duke of Edinburgh ?

I did well at the school (as did many of my peers) and it was better than others I have seen. I knew people who travelled that length of time to get there, so I guess at least they thought it was. I would certainly recommend the school, although it only became an academy when I left I don't think that much has changed. There is a lot of extra-curricular stuff you can do, including DofE; there're a number of sports teams (particular focus on rugby for the boys and netball for the girls) for you to get stuck into and one evening a week is compulsory for an extra curricular sport anyway.
Reply 29
Original post by momomomo123
Obviously there are differences between every school and some state schools might even be better than grammars, and vice versa. Therefore, if you want to learn and do well then you can do it no matter which school you went to.
As for your other question, students who went to an 'underperforming' school and got good grades will have a slight advantage over others.

oh okay thanks
Reply 30
I think you can apply for a yearly train pass with the school you decide to go to so you should definitely do that.

It's up to you, I've been to both a normal school and a Grammar school and personally the Grammar school was much better. Still go and I love it :biggrin: Good luck deciding
Reply 31
Original post by tory88
I did well at the school (as did many of my peers) and it was better than others I have seen. I knew people who travelled that length of time to get there, so I guess at least they thought it was. I would certainly recommend the school, although it only became an academy when I left I don't think that much has changed. There is a lot of extra-curricular stuff you can do, including DofE; there're a number of sports teams (particular focus on rugby for the boys and netball for the girls) for you to get stuck into and one evening a week is compulsory for an extra curricular sport anyway.

thanks that was really helpful:smile:
Reply 32
Original post by Zango11
I think you can apply for a yearly train pass with the school you decide to go to so you should definitely do that.

It's up to you, I've been to both a normal school and a Grammar school and personally the Grammar school was much better. Still go and I love it :biggrin: Good luck deciding

really?? hmm thanks:biggrin:
really? how long does it take for you to get to your school? do you still revise properly?

About an hour and ten minutes, and i know poeple come from further out. Personal i find its good to wind down so then i can concentrate latter but obviously it would be good if there was a great school on my door step so i could come straight home and revise but thats not a option so i dont have a choice.
Original post by tory88

Not a lot has changed at all, I feel left out because I'm one of few who actually play rugby for the school

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending