The Student Room Group

How can one tell if a cyclic molecule is planar???

How can we tell if any one of these molecules is planar?
Original post by originaltitle

How can we tell if any one of these molecules is planar?

None of them are planar. In general the only planar organics are hydrocarbons constructed entirely with sp2 carbons and heterocycles which can fit into the sp2 scheme.

In your structures there are many sp3 carbon atoms, each of which cannot be planar.
Reply 2
Original post by charco
None of them are planar. In general the only planar organics are hydrocarbons constructed entirely with sp2 carbons and heterocycles which can fit into the sp2 scheme.

In your structures there are many sp3 carbon atoms, each of which cannot be planar.

So I take it that cyclic (or any) molecules can't be planar if there are single bonds present, since only sp2 hybridised carbons (double-bonded) can be planar?
So I take it that cyclic (or any) molecules can't be planar if there are single bonds present, since only sp2 hybridised carbons (double-bonded) can be planar?

Basically, yes, and including heterocyles that fit into the scheme such as furan, etc.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by charco
Basically, yes, and including heterocyles that fit into the scheme such as furan, etc.

Thank you.
Reply 5
Thank you.

The only non sp2 containing flat rings are 3 membered ones, which, for obvious reasons, cannot be puckered.
Original post by illusionz
The only non sp2 containing flat rings are 3 membered ones, which, for obvious reasons, cannot be puckered.

I left these out because, although the actual ring is planar, the substituents aren't ...

Quick Reply

Latest