The Student Room Group

Would you rather be operated on by a male or female Surgeon?

(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd feel most comfortable in the hands of whichever person was likely to do a better job of the operation, irrespective of gender.
Reply 2
I really wouldn't care what gender they are
Reply 3
I wouldn't care in the slightest.
Reply 4
would probably be too drugged up to care :smile:
I really don't think I'd care wither way which gender my doctor was. The only time I'd consider the gender of my doctor would be if I had a problem with my privates.
Reply 6
as long as they'd passed their degree, i don't honestly care
Reply 7
Mr or Mrs Hibbert over Dr Nick Riviera any day
I'll be honest, I wouldn't really care either way if I was being allocated a surgeon but if I was choosing my own surgeon I'd probably choose a man. Its probably just to do with it being seen as a male dominated profession and my view of "the surgeon" being male and when choosing a surgeon I'd being looking for someone to fit that view.
Whoever was better?
Reply 10
If both are equally experienced I'd choose the man over the woman
Reply 11
What the hell is wrong with your sister lol. There are loads of female surgeons out there - i don't actually believe she'd decline to be operated on by one irl.

As an aside... I was once arguing with a surgeon who believed that we should give males an advantage in medicine admissions due to the inevitability that women will take maternity leave, resulting in men being a better 'investment' of training resources. Now I can hear your brain cogs turning to the tune of 'gah, typical male surgeon...'. Surgeon was a woman! She was a bit barmy though :erm:
(edited 10 years ago)
Whichever is a better surgeon. I really wouldn't care.
Reply 13
Having shadowed both male and female surgeons in the UK and abroad, I would have no qualms about being operated on, or indeed working with, either.
Interestingly though, I spent a month working in several hospitals in southern India, where people (especially women) were much more concerned about gender roles - especially in gynaecological and urological matters. I got the feeling that many women were much more comfortable with same-sex doctors and surgeons; perhaps a reflection of religious and social conservatism? In these cases, there would be a genuine reason to consider working within the patients wishes if safe to do so.
I wouldn't care as long as they fixed me.
I couldn't care less.

I've watched both male and female surgeons at work. All were excellent.
Reply 16
For a penis enlargement operation, a female. No tools would be needed.
The one who's most likely to save my life.
Reply 18
The person who is the best. Do we need to say anything else?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by nerd434
Out of interest, if one of your family members, or yourself for that matter, were in a life-threatening condition and required surgery, with whom would you feel most comfortable with operating on you; a male surgeon or a female surgeon?

I was discussing this with my sister earlier, who happened to undergo several operations a few years ago after being involved in a car collision, and, surprisingly , she said she wouldn't feel comfortable being in the hands of a female surgeon. So I thought it would be interesting to see whether others, truthfully, shared this view.

Granted, I know that, if the situation did arise, the surgeon's gender probably wouldn't even enter your mind but if you were to look back, who do think would put you at ease the most? There's no denying surgery is still a predominately male-occupied field and I was wondering whether, perhaps, this has anything to do with it; the idea that "surgery is for men"...

If I was in a life - threatening situation and I could choose the gender of the surgeon, I would say either sex as long as I am saved. I don't mind if it's a male or a female, they just have to be good surgeons.

If I was in a life - threatening situation and my parents had to choose for me, they would try their hardest to get a female surgeon. Their Muslims you see, and I'm a girl.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending