The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester, Sheffield or UCL?

I've got offers form Manchester and Sheffield for Information Technology Management For Business, and Information Management Business at UCL. I'm stuck between Manchester and UCL, and not sure about Sheffield.

If I was to go by general ranking I suppose UCL would be the best, but what about ranking for business/management and computer science? I know Manchester is quite good and has a good international reputation. How does Sheffield compare to Manchester?

And which out of the 3 would have the best career opportunities?
Reply 1
Usama H
I've got offers form Manchester and Sheffield for Information Technology Management For Business, and Information Management Business at UCL. I'm stuck between Manchester and UCL, and not sure about Sheffield.

If I was to go by general ranking I suppose UCL would be the best, but what about ranking for business/management and computer science? I know Manchester is quite good and has a good international reputation. How does Sheffield compare to Manchester?

And which out of the 3 would have the best career opportunities?

You've came to The University of Manchester subforum, so you should expect people will suggest you come to Manchester.

To be perfectly honest though, I could sit here and go on about how great Manchester is, but ultimately you have to sit there and figure out if it is for you. I had been to Manchester several times before confirming my place and absolutely loved it. Some of the other universities I had applied to I was not so keen about.

The only thing I can really talk about is career opportunities. The Manchester Careers Service (CareersLink) is regarded as one of the best in the country.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/University_of_Manchester

Moreover, The University of Manchester is the 3rd most targeted university by graduate employers.

http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/GMReport13.pdf (page 27)

All in all, I wouldn't place too much faith in rankings (apart from UNISTATS), as quite a few of them are skewed more towards research as opposed to the student experience.

I placed more emphasis on whether I thought I would fit in and enjoy the next 3 years of my life at my chosen institution and with The University of Manchester, I felt that certainly has been the case.

I hope this helps.

Darren
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by DPLSK
You've came to The University of Manchester subforum, so you should expect people will suggest you come to Manchester.

To be perfectly honest though, I could sit here and go on about how great Manchester is, but ultimately you have to sit there and figure out if it is for you. I had been to Manchester several times before confirming my place and absolutely loved it. Some of the other universities I had applied to I was not so keen about.

The only thing I can really talk about is career opportunities. The Manchester Careers Service (CareersLink) is regarded as one of the best in the country.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/University_of_Manchester

Moreover, The University of Manchester is the 3rd most targeted university by graduate employers.

http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/GMReport13.pdf (page 27)

All in all, I wouldn't place too much faith in rankings (apart from UNISTATS), as quite a few of them are skewed more towards research as opposed to the student experience.

I placed more emphasis on whether I thought I would fit in and enjoy the next 3 years of my life at my chosen institution and with The University of Manchester, I felt that certainly has been the case.

I hope this helps.

Darren

Thanks for the reply.

I posted in the UCL subforum first but most people were saying UCL, so I thought I would post in the Manchester and Sheffield ones as well but your the only person that has replied lol. I have chosen Manchester but still not sure, I've got until Wednesday to change it. Nearly everyone was saying that UCL would be better career wise.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2342127
Reply 3
Usama H
I posted in the UCL subforum first but most people were saying UCL, so I thought I would post in the Manchester and Sheffield ones as well but your the only person that has replied lol. I have chosen Manchester but still not sure, I've got until Wednesday to change it. Nearly everyone was saying that UCL would be better career wise.

UCL might be a better choice career wise, but if it were me I'd want to know on what basis was that judgement made? I'm highly skeptical and try to discern assertions based on opinions from assertions based on evidence.

Even if that were the case, remember that YOU have to be happy with wherever you end up. This can be thought of in terms of both the city and the university.

From my experience more prestigious universities tend to be based down south, but these cities also tend to be less friendly. I found that to be important to me as being in a new city with unfriendly people is particularly daunting.

Also, there are other factors which people forget such as transport links, entertainment, sightseeing, nightlife, cost of living, etc. Remember that if you're not based there already you need to figure these things out.

I hope this helps.

Darren
Reply 4
Hello, i'm confused between York & Manchester for Computer Science. See the fact troubling me is that, since the Uni Of Manchester is quite large, i won't get individual attention and my doubts will not be cleared. Is this true?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Speedy1994
Hello, i'm confused between York & Manchester for Computer Science. See the fact troubling me is that, since the Uni Of Manchester is quite large, i won't get individual attention and my doubts will not be cleared. Is this true?

You'd need to look at the student to staff ratio in The School of Computer Science for an objective answer to this question. A subjective answer would require you to email the admissions department and request that you speak to students directly.

That said, now is not a good time to speak to students as we're in the middle of the exam period. So by all means try, but don't be too disheartened if you don't get anywhere.

Here's some websites for more information.

The School of Computer Science, University of Manchester:
http://www.cs.manchester.ac.uk/aboutus/contact

Staff to Student Ratio:
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?o=Student-Staff+Ratio

I hope this helps.

Darren
Reply 6
Also, according to Unistats, yhe average graduate salary of UoM CS graduate is 24,000 while that of York is 27,000(Highest in Britain after Cambridge & Oxford). Does that make York better in terms of Employer reputation and Employibility for CS?

But, on Times Higher Education(International), i found Employer Relutation to be 100% fpr Manchester, meaning one of world's best.

I'm so confused about International & Domestic Rankings showing different positions for York & Manchester. Manchester doesn't feature in top 10 for CS in any domestic rankings.

Where do you thing are greater chances of getting a job?

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Speedy1994
Where do you thing are greater chances of getting a job?

I honestly can't tell you the answer to that, because you could look at getting a job in York or Manchester, but many people go far out after they finish their degree looking for work.

Look at how well the department is served by employers. Do they offer industrial placements? Do they participate in careers fairs? Are they sponsored by any particular employers? These are key factors in determining as to how well a degree from a particular university will help with your employability.

Darren

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending