The Student Room Group

The Final LSE or York/Sydney Thread

As the title of the thread suggests, I have posted this numerous times. The deadline for accepting/denying LSE is later today, and so I'd like to post a final time, just to get some opinions to clear the haze of my indecisiveness.

LSE
If I go to LSE, I feel like it would be more prestige. The course seems a lot more relevant in general (economic history), and I've made it difficult on myself as only now am I starting to actively work frequently, so my grades are improving. I feel like LSE would be a springboard into the future career paths that I have always wanted, mainly in the realms of business and law. My parents both agree that they would like to see me at LSE, but I think they are just worried about my health and how far away Sydney is in general.

In equal measure, I'm quite scared of LSE. it seems a daunting prospect, and one that would mean that I'd have to make a larger transition towards studying. Being almost 100% exam based I am worried about the intensity of the course, and it just feels like if I blow everything there, I truly have wasted opportunities.

York/Sydney
Equally York and a study abroad in Sydney seems incredible. I have possible accommodation there already that leaves more a lot of excess for traveling, which would mean that I may take my break to go out to America and travel there. I have made a lot of friends at York, and it feels like a shame to leave, but the course (Politics and IR) just feels inconsistent and dull.

At the University of Sydney, I imagine I'd be happy, but I'd be away from family. If I went to LSE I'd prefer to commute and be close to home, but I feel like I'd truly have no friends.

I have always been concerned about my career path. In my personal opinion, as well as consultation from the likes of Unistats, the prospects future graduates of economic history go on to is a lot more favourable than York.

However, the more I think about this choice the more it dawns on me that maybe I'm not good enough for LSE, and I'd be better continuing this course and just taking the time away in Sydney to find myself. But in this economic climate, you want the best degree you can get, and I feel like politics isn't where it lies. Even with York I've had very little advice asides from my very helpful tutor.

It feels like a lose/lose.
Reply 1
If you've been accepted into LSE, it means they think you're good enough. It's easy to feel overwhelmed by a university's prestige, but LSE is a very competitive environment and they wouldn't have accepted you unless they wanted you.
Reply 2
Original post by T_x
If you've been accepted into LSE, it means they think you're good enough. It's easy to feel overwhelmed by a university's prestige, but LSE is a very competitive environment and they wouldn't have accepted you unless they wanted you.

T_x you have provided me with a valuable opinions continuously throughout my choice, I thank you
Reply 3
Original post by Leondrip
T_x you have provided me with a valuable opinions continuously throughout my choice, I thank you

I just really care about stuff like this. Last year I had the option of either going to Durham or applying to Cambridge, without knowing if I would get in or not. I know how it feels not to feel good enough, but just because you feel like you're not up to scratch it doesn't mean they do. Best of luck and let me know how it goes. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by T_x
I just really care about stuff like this. Last year I had the option of either going to Durham or applying to Cambridge, without knowing if I would get in or not. I know how it feels not to feel good enough, but just because you feel like you're not up to scratch it doesn't mean they do. Best of luck and let me know how it goes. :smile:

The crux of my choice now is just looking over the economic history course to see if the knowledge is surmountable. It's a huge decision, hence why I have continuously asked for multiple opinions. I feel like I'm being dragged through hedges.

My story is that I originally applied to UEA, as my predicted grades were low and I felt very unenthusiastic about academia and university. Since then I received an adjustment offer from York, accepted, and now am facing an offer from LSE. It doesn't feel real that I'd be switching institution and facing new paths.
Reply 5
Original post by Cutmeloose
The bolded means nothing whatsoever. Plenty of people flounder at LSE despite this. If you stroll out of LSE with a 2:2 is this going to be your plan of action'

'Hey Goldman Sachs, I got a desmond, but LSE wanted me when I was 18, therefore I'm the dog's *******s.

Yes, this is my main worry. I have the motivation and the attitude to do well, but it's about whether I will gel with the course. Although I really dislike my current course, I am making a mid-1st. In my mind, it might be a bitter decision to leave that behind.
Reply 6
Original post by Cutmeloose
The bolded means nothing whatsoever. Plenty of people flounder at LSE despite this. If you stroll out of LSE with a 2:2 is this going to be your plan of action'

'Hey Goldman Sachs, I got a desmond, but LSE wanted me when I was 18, therefore I'm the dog's *******s.

Did I say that the OP was definitely good enough? No. I said LSE thought they were. The bolded means a lot, actually. It means that they believe the OP has potential. It's up to the OP to work hard and make sure they get to where they want to be. Obviously, just having a degree from a particular institution doesn't mean doors will magically open. However, it does provide OP with the chance to get to where they want to be. York is a great place, too, but I think it'd be a shame for the OP to decline LSE purely on the basis of feeling inferior.
Reply 7
Any input is appreciated!
Reply 8
Bump :P
Reply 9
Bump: couple of hours left :frown:
Go for LSE, it's clear from your opening post that LSE is your ideal place of study.
It's tough, but given you have the chance to prove yourself, you should take on the challenge and not worry about whether or not you would have it easier someplace else. I had similar doubts last year when I was choosing, but you soon realize that you would not have applied there, nor got the offer, if you didn't have a decent chance of making it.

Good luck on your decision
Reply 11
Original post by jamiepango
Go for LSE, it's clear from your opening post that LSE is your ideal place of study.
It's tough, but given you have the chance to prove yourself, you should take on the challenge and not worry about whether or not you would have it easier someplace else. I had similar doubts last year when I was choosing, but you soon realize that you would not have applied there, nor got the offer, if you didn't have a decent chance of making it.

Good luck on your decision

Thanks for the response. I despise difficult decisions, it feels very difficult. I appreciate your view, I am currently taking the same one :smile: I feel enthusiastic about a shot at LSE, but concerned about the elitism/lack of social life.
Original post by Leondrip
Thanks for the response. I despise difficult decisions, it feels very difficult. I appreciate your view, I am currently taking the same one :smile: I feel enthusiastic about a shot at LSE, but concerned about the elitism/lack of social life.

If you want a social life, then you can have one. If you like going out every night, you'll be able to find people who do that. It's what you make of it. Elitism again is probably only concentrated on the minority, it depends who you make friends with. Don't let those factors affect your decision too much. More important about the course, prospects, country etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending