The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Dizzy-x3
I'm opening an application for Teach First, but I'm just a little bit concerned, because I don't really know what option to choose from, I do a psychology degree so it isn't really related to anything on there except maybe Science (it is a science btw) :tongue:.

You dot pick a subject they place you on what's most suitable/available at the time

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm opening an application for Teach First, but I'm just a little bit concerned, because I don't really know what option to choose from, I do a psychology degree so it isn't really related to anything on there except maybe Science (it is a science btw) :tongue:.

I do Psychology and am going to do secondary science :smile:

You're qualified for primary, science or if you have a B at A-Level then DT, English, IT and Maths.

EDIT: In regards to what the other poster said, you don't choose, but it's good to know what you're qualified for so you know if you'd be happy teaching anything. You can also angle your application slightly if there's one you want.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 42
My recruiter said that it was dependent on which modules we did at uni and what we took for a levels :smile: I'm hoping to do primary though! I think that if you get invited to the assessment centre then you pick on a subject you're most comfortable doing for the lesson which might help 'angle' what you're going for! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Original post by fml
My recruiter said that it was dependent on which modules we did at uni and what we took for a levels :smile: I'm hoping to do primary though! I think that if you get invited to the assessment centre then you pick on a subject you're most comfortable doing for the lesson which might help 'angle' what you're going for! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know how much bearing your lesson has on your final placement but in terms of primary that's something you can state a preference for on the application form along with talking about it in interview.

For your lesson they also look for other things like structure (starter. Main, plenary) and behaviour management and not just the subject

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone :smile:

I am looking to apply to teach first this month.

Although I am applying for a secondary place, do you think I should mention the fact that I also have primary experience but then decided it wasn't for me?

Original post by rebecca.ellis1991
Hi everyone :smile:

I am looking to apply to teach first this month.

Although I am applying for a secondary place, do you think I should mention the fact that I also have primary experience but then decided it wasn't for me?

I have a lot of primary experience but ended up applying for secondary. I mentioned it in my interview and got a place, so yes. Any teaching experience is valid and useful :smile:
Original post by alexmagpie
I have a lot of primary experience but ended up applying for secondary. I mentioned it in my interview and got a place, so yes. Any teaching experience is valid and useful :smile:

that's brilliant, thanks :smile:
Reply 47
Original post by alexmagpie
I do Psychology and am going to do secondary science :smile:

You're qualified for primary, science or if you have a B at A-Level then DT, English, IT and Maths.

EDIT: In regards to what the other poster said, you don't choose, but it's good to know what you're qualified for so you know if you'd be happy teaching anything. You can also angle your application slightly if there's one you want.

Thank you :smile:. I was just a little concerned because at A Level I came out with a 2 Bs and a C, but the A Levels that I have, English Lit, Psychology and History, don't seem to be relevant to many considering I got the C in history.
Reply 48
Thank you :smile:. I was just a little concerned because at A Level I came out with a 2 Bs and a C, but the A Levels that I have, English Lit, Psychology and History, don't seem to be relevant to many considering I got the C in history.

What Ucas points do teach first ask for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
RE: UCAS points. I don't have A Levels, I did an Access Course. I hope this is ok for TF! I will have to check with my recruiter.
Reply 50
Original post by WhiteTea
What Ucas points do teach first ask for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

300, I have 260 with my A Levels, they don't accept General Studies but then with my dropped AS Level (Biology) I have 20 and with my Extended Project Qualification I have 40. So I think I should be okay? :smile:
Reply 51
300, I have 260 with my A Levels, they don't accept General Studies but then with my dropped AS Level (Biology) I have 20 and with my Extended Project Qualification I have 40. So I think I should be okay? :smile:

I can't remember but I think they asked from your top 3 a levels (might have been another application I did so sorry if I'm wrong!). How about sending them a quick email to check ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
I can't remember but I think they asked from your top 3 a levels (might have been another application I did so sorry if I'm wrong!). How about sending them a quick email to check ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh, I think I will drop them an email.. I do hope you're wrong, because I really want to do this :')
Reply 53
Hi guys, just wondering if you know when in June applications will open. Someone said the 5th on the first page...does that mean we might be able to start our application today?
Reply 54
Original post by buckers101
Hi guys, just wondering if you know when in June applications will open. Someone said the 5th on the first page...does that mean we might be able to start our application today?

They've changed it to June 19th at 10 am. I will amend the OP!
Reply 55
Ahh, I think I will drop them an email.. I do hope you're wrong, because I really want to do this :')

I hope I'm wrong too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56
I hope I'm wrong too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You were not, but they did say that they would look at other aspects of the application as well, so that I should still apply.
Reply 57
Does anyone know of anyone who didn't quite get the 300 UCAS points with the first 3 A Levels but had like 300 with everything else and still managed to get onto the course? Or at least to the next stage after the application?
Reply 58
Does anyone know of anyone who didn't quite get the 300 UCAS points with the first 3 A Levels but had like 300 with everything else and still managed to get onto the course? Or at least to the next stage after the application?

I have never personally heard of anyone without enough UCAS points but I know that for other aspects e.g. degree marks etc if you have extenuating circumstances they do look at it on a case by case basis and I've heard of people who don't have the right degree marks.

Did they seem positive about it on the phone?

Maybe if you're really worried about it address it directly on the application form and how you've changed and done better at uni?
Reply 59
Also, if you've gotten a lot of extra curriculars as well whilst being at uni, it's always good to mention them as well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending