The Student Room Group

How to revise for Edexcel GCSE maths?

I've got my maths exam this November and maths is my worst subject so I've never bothered to revise for tests in class or mocks or anything,but I know I'm going to have to actually revise properly this summer if I am to get a B at least in the exam.how should I revise should i get a revision guide or something or use my maths ? I really don't want to fail this exam so any tips or websites would be very much appreciated thanks and good luck to you all with your upcoming exams :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Victoriapownall
I've got my maths exam this November and maths is my worst subject so I've never bothered to revise for tests in class or mocks or anything,but I know I'm going to have to actually revise properly this summer if I am to get a B at least in the exam.how should I revise should i get a revision guide or something or use my maths ? I really don't want to fail this exam so any tips or websites would be very much appreciated thanks and good luck to you all with your upcoming exams :smile:

Past papers then TSR if you get stuck :smile:
Reply 2

Mathswatch and Past Papers. Do you have Mathswatch software?
Reply 3
i wasnt great at maths, but just did a lot of past papers and managed to get an A. that's the best way prepare for maths.
Original post by nm786
Mathswatch and Past Papers. Do you have Mathswatch software?

What's that ?
Original post by SamEastie
i wasnt great at maths, but just did a lot of past papers and managed to get an A. that's the best way prepare for maths.

i really want an A but would be happy with a b to be honest,and yeh I might do some past papers
i really want an A but would be happy with a b to be honest,and yeh I might do some past papers

If you even want an A or a B, then doing past papers should not even be disputable.

Go to your library and abuse the printer: print every past paper for your course and do them all. The topic areas you struggle most with you go back to basic principles and learn it again via Mymaths/revision guide etc.

However, only do past papers once you've revised the material properly.
For maths in my opinion revision guides are pointless but its really up to you :smile: past paper questions are the best way to get top marks and uhm yeh good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Homeboy Hotel
If you even want an A or a B, then doing past papers should not even be disputable.

Go to your library and abuse the printer: print every past paper for your course and do them all. The topic areas you struggle most with you go back to basic principles and learn it again via Mymaths/revision guide etc.

Ok I will do past papers then but ill probably do them like a month before the actual exam so I get a good idea as to the mark I will actually get and I'm going to buy a revision guide/workbook and basically work through all of it doing as many questions as possible,but I don't know how I'm going to Reiner everything as there's so many topics !
Original post by That_Clever_Guy
For maths in my opinion revision guides are pointless but its really up to you :smile: past paper questions are the best way to get top marks and uhm yeh good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I need a revision guide though as I need to learn everything from scratch as things we did in class at the start of year 10 has completely left my mind I need a list of everything I need to know otherwise I won't know what to practise/learn !,I will do past papers only when I'm happy that I've learnt everything that I need to know for the exam,I really hope I don't get a C that would really piss me off,I really don't want average grades :/
Original post by Homeboy Hotel

Don't you have to pay to print stuff out and its effort going to the library and I don't have a library card....what's wrong with just looking at the paper on the computer and writing your answers down on paper,as long as you organise your answers it should be ok right ?!
Examsolutions.net

Revise with a friend every few days after school. Go to a teacher, I'm sure there will be a teacher to help you on topics you don't understand after school.
During the summer holidays revise one hard topic per week and by the end of the holidays most of the A/A* topics should be covered.
All the other topics leading up to grade B should be common sense and logical.
If you do the above you're bound to achieve a/a* in the November exam.
And obviously I'm very sure that there will be people here to help you with hard exam questions you don't understand.
Don't you have to pay to print stuff out and its effort going to the library and I don't have a library card....what's wrong with just looking at the paper on the computer and writing your answers down on paper,as long as you organise your answers it should be ok right ?!

Just get a notepad - search up Edexcel Past Papers finder on google.
All should be there and you can copy down the questions you want to do.
Also use the Edexcel Linear revision guide. (I can get you the model number if you want as I got mine.)
One last advice - the topics may seem a lot, but they're not too much at all (again most of the topics to Grade B would be common sense and plugging in formulas) You really have to revise the other 10-14 odd topics which will get you the A/A*.
(edited 10 years ago)

I meant a school library where its free, I'm sure it doesn't matter too much but you should try and recreate the exam by doing it under timed conditions (not always, but its good practice with less distractions).

You should do past papers in the run up, not just a month before. The score in past papers isn't just an indication of what you are going to get, but it should also alert key areas that need work so you can boost the grade rather than expect that grade.
Original post by cleveradam
Examsolutions.net

Revise with a friend every few days after school. Go to a teacher, I'm sure there will be a teacher to help you on topics you don't understand after school.
During the summer holidays revise one hard topic per week and by the end of the holidays most of the A/A* topics should be covered.
All the other topics leading up to grade B should be common sense and logical.
If you do the above you're bound to achieve a/a* in the November exam.
And obviously I'm very sure that there will be people here to help you with hard exam questions you don't understand.

Thanks for the motivation is suppose its possible to get an A if I put the work in after all this is GCSE !,and yeh I will go through each topic slowly and in great detail so that I understand it fully before I move on the next topic,the problem I have is that I know how to work things out but some of the exam questions are written in such a way that I don't know what they are asking me to do and so I just end up doing the completely wrong thing,any tips for understanding what the exam paper is asking from you as exam technique is probably going to be the difference between me getting a C and a A to be honest !,which really annoys me
Just get a notepad - search up Edexcel Past Papers finder on google.
All should be there and you can copy down the questions you want to do.
Also use the Edexcel Linear revision guide. (I can get you the model number if you want as I got mine.)
One last advice - the topics may seem a lot, but they're not too much at all (again most of the topics to Grade B would be common sense and plugging in formulas) You really have to revise the other 10-14 odd topics which will get you the A/A*.

Thanks and will I be able to find the revision guide in normal whsmiths and dose it provide examples and step by step explanations as well as practice questions and answers? And this is what I need ! And you've put it into perspective now which makes me more confident that if I put the work the work in then I will get the grades !,and I'm thinking of taking physics at Alevel so I need to become much better at maths,however long it takes me ! I'm determined to get an A/B in the exam so that when I retake in June I can aim for an A/A* but I would be happy for a B in June nether less after all if I took the exam now I would likely get a D or just about a C if I'm lucky !
Thanks and will I be able to find the revision guide in normal whsmiths and dose it provide examples and step by step explanations as well as practice questions and answers? And this is what I need ! And you've put it into perspective now which makes me more confident that if I put the work the work in then I will get the grades !,and I'm thinking of taking physics at Alevel so I need to become much better at maths,however long it takes me ! I'm determined to get an A/B in the exam so that when I retake in June I can aim for an A/A* but I would be happy for a B in June nether less after all if I took the exam now I would likely get a D or just about a C if I'm lucky !

Yeah every topic will show various steps and examples.
Grade B is very easy it genuinely is logic and common sense, just put things into perspective for a grade B.
And for the a/a* topics go to this youtube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/ExamSolutions/videos

just search up any grade b/a/a* topics on this guys channel. He has over 2000 videos he has made alone solely for Maths.
Yeah every topic will show various steps and examples.
Grade B is very easy it genuinely is logic and common sense, just put things into perspective for a grade B.
And for the a/a* topics go to this youtube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/ExamSolutions/videos

just search up any grade b/a/a* topics on this guys channel. He has over 2000 videos he has made alone solely for Maths.

This is just like mygcsescience YouTube channel for science obviously,I can imagine these videos will come in very handy when it comes to the harder topics as sometimes listening to someone explain something images its easier to understand then just reading the explanation out if a text book,thanks for the link I will subscribe to him so I don't forget about it I doubt I will be able to watch 2000 videos though ! I really appreciate your help as I'm stressing wayyyyy to much about this exam and its only may but I'm calming down a bit now with all these resources people have given me its seems more realistic now that I could actually get a B or an A in November yay! :smile:
Pall the videos are for Alevel though how are they going to help me in a GCSE exam !,but thanks all the same
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
This is just like mygcsescience YouTube channel for science obviously,I can imagine these videos will come in very handy when it comes to the harder topics as sometimes listening to someone explain something images its easier to understand then just reading the explanation out if a text book,thanks for the link I will subscribe to him so I don't forget about it I doubt I will be able to watch 2000 videos though ! I really appreciate your help as I'm stressing wayyyyy to much about this exam and its only may but I'm calming down a bit now with all these resources people have given me its seems more realistic now that I could actually get a B or an A in November yay! :smile:
Pall the videos are for Alevel though how are they going to help me in a GCSE exam !,but thanks all the same

They have GCSE videos as well - http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/GCSE-index.php

I have just stumbled upon a gold mine thank you sooooooooooooo much for this AMAZING RESOURCE! I can finally revise PROPERLY for maths yay yay yay,what grade I'd you get on your exam and what was your predicted as I'm predicted a B so do you think aiming for an A is unrealistic or achievable if I out the work in ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending