This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Anyone else really hate "clubbing"?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Clubbing is fun tbh.
Reply 81
Original post by NW86

If you define it as those small awesome places that are hidden away, have interesting DJs, open til 6, full of awesome people and music (not ****ing chart, anything from house through to metal, whatever your taste).... and you still think it's crap, then you're just boring. Who woulbn't want to go to a place playing their favourite music with all their mates.

Agreed with this, don't know of any like that around where I live though. :frown:
If you don't like clubbing then you're not doing it right
Reply 83
Original post by MENDACIUM
I never got the whole ' i was so drunk' phenomenon. I like having my own inhibitions. I like ideas, words, images, debates, discussions, memories sparking emotions in me, NOT alcohol.

The benefits of alcohol are far outweighed by the disadvantages!

How times did you try it before you felt well informed enough to come to that conclusion?
Reply 84
Original post by Redolent
How times did you try it before you felt well informed enough to come to that conclusion?

I have seen the effects of alcohol first hand. I never want to be like that.
Reply 85
I have seen the effects of alcohol first hand. I never want to be like that.

You cannot see the effects of alcohol - they are felt internally. You can only see the way people respond to those feelings, which is a different thing. In short you're not really in a position to say with any degree of objectivity that the disadvantages of alcohol outweigh the advantages.

A small amount of alcohol makes you feel good but doesn't affect your behaviour - you could only speculate on whether that is worthwhile, as you don't actually know what it is like to feel it.
Reply 86
Agreed with this, don't know of any like that around where I live though. :frown:

Bad times dude, where do you live?

One of the joys of living in London is the amount of different clubs and bars
Reply 87
You cannot see the effects of alcohol - they are felt internally. You can only see the way people respond to those feelings, which is a different thing. In short you're not really in a position to say with any degree of objectivity that the disadvantages of alcohol outweigh the advantages.

A small amount of alcohol makes you feel good but doesn't affect your behaviour - you could only speculate on whether that is worthwhile, as you don't actually know what it is like to feel it.

A lot of people often say small ammounts are useful - and i agree with what you are saying. But the overall effect on society means the benefits of alcohol are far outweighed by the disadvantages. There is a risk of drinking too much due to peer pressure, drinking too much out of addiction, so i'd rather not take the risk=p
I never go clubbing in my hometown. Don't feel safe. Whereas here in Wales, it is actually much safer in comparison.
The only thing I enjoy about clubbing is the people I'm with. In which case we may as well be doing something else...
More often than not I pay an extortionate taxi fare to...

Go into a dark room full of sweaty people, have my shoes stick to the floor because of all the different sticky substances down there, have beer splashed across my face and wine down my dress, while paying for several warm and watered down alcoholic beverages.

By this point my feet are hurting so I'm now wearing my safety flat shoes and carrying my high heels, everyone around me is drunk and hyper while I'm still more sober than a Nun.

There's repetitive music (if it can be classed as music) blaring through the speakers, while drunk teens attempt to sing along while screaming...

"AHMYGOD IT'S MY SONG!! IT'S MY SONG!!" No love, it's not, pipe down.

The dude behind the bar short changes me, I put up a bit of an argument, but I'm passed the stage of giving a flying **** now, so I walk away with my £2.50 change from the £20 note I just handed him for one watered down vodka and orange juice.

My friends then throws up over herself and me, so I carry her outside and sit her down while she mutters something about desperately needing to go to McDonalds and how she will starve to death otherwise.
So we stumble on over to McDonalds and cue for a good 20 minutes, while chips are being launched across our heads and one manages to get stuck in my hair. My friend then collects her food and we sit outside, where it begins to rain. By this point it's 3.30 on a Sunday morning and everyone decides they're tired and it's time to call it a night.

...I then phone a taxi and pay an extortionate fare to get myself and my friend home.

Who wouldn't want to go clubbing? :redface:
Reply 91
Original post by Skip_Snip
I would say that I've outgrown it, being 24 now, not 19, it's a bit sad at my age, yadda yadda.
But I've never enjoyed it, even when I was 17 and sneaking in the places with a fake 'tache (seriously. looking back, i can't even..)
I'd rather stay in and have mates round/go to a friends and drink whilst playing video games or watching movies. I'd rather just stay in with a book than go to a nightclub.
But I'd NEVER turn down a house party!!

I definitely get bored of it sometimes. Especially if you're going to the same places with the same people and listening to the same music. You get tired, your feet hurt, you just feel bored.
Sometimes though I love it if you're going out with a slightly bigger group of people, to somewhere you've not been, or if the music is really good and you have a lot of energy.
Similarly, house parties can be great but not if it's just the same group of people getting drunk all the time.
Reply 92
A lot of people often say small ammounts are useful - and i agree with what you are saying. But the overall effect on society means the benefits of alcohol are far outweighed by the disadvantages. There is a risk of drinking too much due to peer pressure, drinking too much out of addiction, so i'd rather not take the risk=p

Yeah that's fair enough man, I completely understand your concern there, it's just that I've come across a lot of people on this site who dislike alcohol without really understanding it. They don't realise that people aren't as stupid as they look when they're stumbling around drunk - they wouldn't let themselves get like that over and over if they didn't enjoy it and didn't consider the benefits to outweigh the risks. Most people are aware of the health risks, and will have experienced the embarrassment and hangovers it can bring first hand, so it would have to be quite good for them to go and risk it all over again. A lot of the people you see who are messed up don't mean to get like that - it's just that there's a varying time delay between the drink and the effects, so you can lose track of how drunk you're due to get easily.

If I have a heavy night I'll usually be fairly happy not to drink again for a fair while. It definitely does have its downsides. But sometimes it's just a bit more fun than watching a movie, going on a walk, playing a game, having a deep conversation or whatever else people who never drink prefer to do. I do all that stuff too.
Reply 93
Original post by NW86

Berkshire, so London is accessible in theory but not really in practise - travelling 30 miles for a night out isn't worth it. Trains take over an hour, and they stop coming back at midnight. The best nightlife around here is Reading, it's actually alright to be fair, but the clubs all play the same **** and close by 3, and the people in these places are all the same. There's occasionally a more noteworthy or niche night going on somewhere but I'll either not find out about it in time or my friends won't be up for it.

I always hated the idea of living in a city in the past, but now that I've realised how much better they are at catering for different tastes I'm pretty tempted to try it for a while.
Obviously I've never been clubbing, so I have no experience of it or anything. But it sounds like hell! Definitely not something I've ever or would ever even think about doing.
Original post by NW86

yeah this pretty much

I've been clubbing in towns outside London a few times and it just made me realise why so many people on TSR hate clubs.

In London clubs actually play good music (no matter what music you like you will find clubs that play it) and people actually go for a good time and the atmosphere is good etc.

I swear, to most people outside London going "clubbing" just means going to Oceana and getting laid/in a fight/both.
Reply 96
Original post by Starfisher
Club are fun, but I don't understand people who go clubbing every weekend. I couldn't do it. Me and my house mates will either have a quiet one with a few beers at home, a house party or we just get absolutely smashed together at home for no reason. Hilarious memories doing the later. Fun times.

I do 2-3 times a week if its not exam season, I'm a fresher at Northumbria though, it is the best university for nightlife. I'll be dropping that back to 1-2 nights a week in second year though. We go out because that's how we like to spend our money as much as I like films and FIFA nothing beats spending all of £15-25 and having a class night out. I enjoy the hustle though I can see why people don't appreciate it, I don't think I would have 6 years ago because I was a much different person.
Original post by Skip_Snip
I would say that I've outgrown it, being 24 now, not 19, it's a bit sad at my age, yadda yadda.

But I've never enjoyed it, even when I was 17 and sneaking in the places with a fake 'tache (seriously. looking back, i can't even..)

I'd rather stay in and have mates round/go to a friends and drink whilst playing video games or watching movies. I'd rather just stay in with a book than go to a nightclub.

But I'd NEVER turn down a house party!!

Original post by wildbluesun
I'm the same. I HATE nightclubs. I don't find the appeal at all in jumping around a dark room with a bunch of strangers with music so loud I can't talk to my friends. I actually find them a bit intimidating and overwhelming - too loud, too crowded, they freak me out. =/

Would rather have friends round for drinks and films as well. Have always been like that always always - I didn't even like the school disco when I was 12. I'm 20 now and get invited out to places like that every so often but I always politely decline. People understand that the whole NOISY DARK thing isn't for everyone.

So you're not the only one... :smile:

Hey! :five: :biggrin:

I have never really liked clubbing. It's not appealing and it is so overrated. It's just not my thing. I'm like you guys - I'd rather go out during the day or the evening eating out (I love eating out!)/house party/pub/bar/have hot chocolate at a coffee shop/shopping/cinema/go to events like theme parks or fairgrounds, or I like to stay in an watch a movie or chill with friends. At night I just want to watch TV/a film, or relax and chill, or net/YouTube surf then go to bed. I hate being out so late.

The only problem is that there are people who club regularly and they assume that because I don't club often that I must be anti-social :rolleyes: which is not true (unless I am poor :tongue: )
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 98
I'm in the "i hate it" camp too.

Its loud, too loud to talk. What is the point in going with friends then?

Dancing is the only thing you can do, and I hate dancing - I just find it stressful because I know I look like an ass... Who wants to look like an idiot? However much I drink I always know that I'm bad at dancing lol

Even if I did like dancing... Its so loud and crowded, I still don't think I'd like the thing as a whole.

As far as I can tell the only reason people go clubbing is to meet girls/boys. I don't need to do that. Even if I did I wouldn't want to find a potential partner in a club.
They so overrated- 'you must go clubbing when you a re young or else you will regret it'- yeah ok.

Latest

Trending

Trending