The Student Room Group

Sir Alex Ferguson has retired.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by mikeyd85
Mmmm, yeah, he's had his moments when he's been fantastic, but there have been too many times when he'd give the ball away through sloppy control/passes/decision making. Saying that though, Giggs went through a stage like that at the beginning of the season, but the latter half he's been a monster.

Form is key in football, getting rid because of a season of not his best form is probably a bad decision considering how much you know he CAN do.

Where does he even play, though? It looked like Ferguson was trying to play him deeper and deeper - a decision Rooney didn't seem too happy with.

With the strikers Man U already have - as well as the likes of Falcao and Lewandowski being linked - he wouldn't be too sorely missed up front, and for the money you would get for him, you could buy a world class midfielder.

I'm not saying Man U should sell, but I don't see them having any problems if they do.
Original post by pane123
Where does he even play, though? It looked like Ferguson was trying to play him deeper and deeper - a decision Rooney didn't seem too happy with.

With the strikers Man U already have - as well as the likes of Falcao and Lewandowski being linked - he wouldn't be too sorely missed up front, and for the money you would get for him, you could buy a world class midfielder.

I'm not saying Man U should sell, but I don't see them having any problems if they do.

TBH, if we hadn't bought Kagawa, I'd suggest AMF. He could be our answer to Paul Scholes leaving if he gets his head down.
Reply 242
TBH, if we hadn't bought Kagawa, I'd suggest AMF. He could be our answer to Paul Scholes leaving if he gets his head down.

He could be, but that's a gamble. Would you not prefer just to sell him and buy someone who you know can play in that role? With £25-30m and £250k a week spare, there aren't many players outwith your reach.

This is the 2nd time Rooney has stated a desire to leave. The term "bad egg" springs to mind.
Original post by pane123
He could be, but that's a gamble. Would you not prefer just to sell him and buy someone who you know can play in that role? With £25-30m and £250k a week spare, there aren't many players outwith your reach.

This is the 2nd time Rooney has stated a desire to leave. The term "bad egg" springs to mind.

Who would you consider an apt replacement for Scholes that is available though? That's the tough thing. It looks like Fergie has been trying to mould Rooney to fill the void which makes me think that he simply can't get go out and just buy a replacement so easily.
Reply 244
Who would you consider an apt replacement for Scholes that is available though? That's the tough thing. It looks like Fergie has been trying to mould Rooney to fill the void which makes me think that he simply can't get go out and just buy a replacement so easily.

What do you mean by "available?" You are Man Utd, most players in the world are available. I think Ferguson would have preferred to keep Rooney, but could no longer justify using him as a striker.

If Rooney isn't happy then so be it, let him go.

Sneijder was available for long enough and Man U could probably afford someone like Montolivo. I think Rakitic would be a great signing for any big club, too.
Original post by pane123
What do you mean by "available?" You are Man Utd, most players in the world are available. I think Ferguson would have preferred to keep Rooney, but could no longer justify using him as a striker.

If Rooney isn't happy then so be it, let him go.

Sneijder was available for long enough and Man U could probably afford someone like Montolivo. I think Rakitic would be a great signing for any big club, too.

Hmmm... I disagree. We may be Man Utd and the allure of playing for our club is still great... but it's not like we're the biggest or richest* club in the world at the moment. Aside from RvP, we haven't been able to clinch the deal on a "big" player in...errr... ummm... See what I mean!

Saying that, we don't really go for big name players and I quite like that.

*Spending power as opposed to bank balance
Reply 246
Hmmm... I disagree. We may be Man Utd and the allure of playing for our club is still great... but it's not like we're the biggest or richest* club in the world at the moment. Aside from RvP, we haven't been able to clinch the deal on a "big" player in...errr... ummm... See what I mean!

Saying that, we don't really go for big name players and I quite like that.

*Spending power as opposed to bank balance

I agree to an extent, but Man City and Chelsea can't sign everyone.
Original post by pane123
I agree to an extent, but Man City and Chelsea can't sign everyone.

That's what Real, Barca, PSG and Anzhi Makhachkala are for! :wink:
Reply 248
That's what Real, Barca, PSG and Anzhi Makhachkala are for! :wink:

Real Madrid and Barca are different.

However, I really, really hope the bubble bursts for all these nouveau riche teams.
Original post by pane123
Real Madrid and Barca are different.

However, I really, really hope the bubble bursts for all these nouveau riche teams.

Hehe, true that.

I agree. The more money at the top of any sport will lead to nothing but greater imbalance.
Reply 250
Hehe, true that.

I agree. The more money at the top of any sport will lead to nothing but greater imbalance.

I actually don't mind PSG's money, at least they come from a major city. I know Chelsea and Man City do, too, but there were already far more successful clubs in London and Manchester, respectively, before their money came along.
Reply 251
They seriously need to put a cap hold on city with their unlimited supply of money. It's not fair on the rest of the club.
Reply 252
Original post by SirHas
They seriously need to put a cap hold on city with their unlimited supply of money. It's not fair on the rest of the club.

I agree, but it's very difficult to cap. Most ideas that have been suggested are good in theory, but break some EU competition law in one way or another.

Hopefully teams like Man City will just become teams of mercenaries who are only there for the money. At least at an institution like Man U, you can trust that most of the players are playing for pride, as well as the money.
Reply 253
Original post by pane123
I agree, but it's very difficult to cap. Most ideas that have been suggested are good in theory, but break some EU competition law in one way or another.

Hopefully teams like Man City will just become teams of mercenaries who are only there for the money. At least at an institution like Man U, you can trust that most of the players are playing for pride, as well as the money.

All they do I see what other teams are buying then just outbid them. They're just gonna be a team with all stars but can't play well as a team. Their theory will be the end of them.
Where was city two season ago? Lol
Good luck Moyes:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest