The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Minor choices and prospects

I have decided that Lancaster is the choice for me and I'll be studying history and hopefully staying in fylde college (quite enjoy sport) However with studying history what minors would you suggest to allow good job prospects after my study and are also allowed with my choice of a history major?
Any help is much appreciated and I look forward to seeing you all there
Ps is the rugby league team any good
Reply 1
As far as minors are concerned, you can choose any subjects that don't clash with your history lectures! So you can choose something related to history (politics, for example), or something completely different! :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
to allow good job prospects after my study

I wouldn't even consider that. You'll graduate with a degree in History, nothing else. The only thing they'll be useful for is a talking point. I'm just finishing my 3rd year of Computer Science, and did a minor in Spanish. I don't think it's even on my CV...
Reply 3
I wouldn't worry about that too much, I don't think I know anyone who took a minor because of the 'job prospects' other than a few people who took education because they wanted to get a better understanding if it was for them. Just pick stuff you think would fit with your history or that you'd be interested in/possibly interested in minoring in throughout your degree.
Reply 4
As others have said, I wouldn't really think about job prospects - I don't really think they make a difference. The good thing about minors is that they give you flexibility in second year to potentially change to a joint major course, take some minor modules alongside your core subject in second and third year, or even change your major to one of your first year minor subjects (though this is not possible with every subject as some require majors to take additional compulsory first year modules). Really, you should pick your minors based on things which interest you; I know History majors who are doing/did minors in subjects including: Politics, Philosophy, Economics, Geography, English, Creative Writing, Psychology, Law and Criminology :smile:
Reply 5
Thank you for your help feel a little less stressed over it now just hope I get the grades
Reply 6
Don't fuss about minors, just do something which you won't have to spend loads of time doing work for.

I did Religious Studies as a minor, and loads of history students did that. Its a fairly easy, laidback course and just gives you a good idea of the basics of the main world religions, which could be useful for your degree.

And on the subject of the rugby league team, my boyfriend played for them and says they've won their league for the last two years and are all sound guys :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Something to consider then I think and I'm liking the sounds of a winning rugby team as well thank you for your help
Minors aren't an influence on the future unless you want to incorporate them into your actual degree by changing your course structure. You have plenty of choices e.g. Politics, Sociology, Law, Philosophy, Gender & Women, Economics, Geography, English, Creative Writing, Psychology, and Criminology. I am studying History as my major but took Gender & Women and Criminology as my minors. There's some overlap which helps my overall understanding e.g. impact of industrialisation on crime, family structure, etc.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending