The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, I am doing this. I found the subject really interesting, along with the revision. What Books are you using for your revision? Personally, I found books by Painter, Gaddis and Oliver Edwards extremely helpful. However, there is one book which is excellent: Heinemann Advanced History: The Cold War, by Steve Phillips.
Reply 2
Hmm i'm actually not using any books. i dont think we need to know many historians' views. although i did use mac-cauley and another one, cant recall the name. :smile:

i made notes, so i'm just gonna memorise the notes and then learn how to link issues in together.

are you doing this exam with edexcel exam board - with sources etc?
Reply 3
can anyone please clarify this for me... are satellite states and puppet governments virtually the same thing? or are puppet governments, as in eastern Europe "friendly governments?"
Reply 4
when was the phrase domino theory coined? was it 1947 by Acheson or was it actaully used in the 50's by IKE?
Reply 5
Satellite states i.e. in Eastern Europe, were under the direct control of Moscow. This was established under the 'Cordon Sanitaire' that Stalin implemented after the Red Army's successful ousting of the Axis Powers. A Puppet Government would be under the influence of another country. i.e. in Cuba, before the 1956 Revolution.

So, basically, they aren't the same thing. Eastern Europe were more Satellite states, whereas countries such as North Korea were puppets.

The origins of the Domino Theory are complicated. It can be argued that its origins were in Kennan's Long Telegram, or in 1947 by Acheson. I would say that the Domino Theory was really implemented in Korea, and was one of the causes for the US's intervention in Korea.

The board I did this exam for was CIE.
Reply 6
by cordon sanitaire do you mean as a 'no-go' zone for the west, so eastern Europe is in the soviet sphere of influence alone? also by ousting of the axis powers are you referring to the liberation of eastern europe by the red army?
Reply 7
by a cordon sanitaire I mean a zone which would act as a buffer zone from Western Powers, and therefore a no-go zone for Western Powers.

And by the ousting of the axis powers, I am referring to the liberation of EE by the Red Army. :smile:

If you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to pm me :smile:
Reply 8
Is this the sources paper?

Im doing at the mo, if you need help with technique just PM me.
Reply 9
If there's anything else you need help with, pm me. I don't mind helping :smile:
yeah im doin this. close 2 toppin myself!!lol learnt nothing this yr due to a bad, dull teacher. royally screwed. Everytime i go 2 do some revision for it i relalise how much i actual do not know.
Reply 11
Cold War to detente is the synoptic paper so yes there are sources in it but the content is equally important. Can you believe that next year they're scrapping 45 - 90 and only doing 45 - 63?
pezz
when was the phrase domino theory coined? was it 1947 by Acheson or was it actaully used in the 50's by IKE?

Acheson he cited it to Truman over teh Turksish shipping rights
Reply 13
cullmac
Cold War to detente is the synoptic paper so yes there are sources in it but the content is equally important. Can you believe that next year they're scrapping 45 - 90 and only doing 45 - 63?

Yeah it is annoying, my teacher who is an examiner reckons it will be on the end of the CW, because they cant set it ever again.

Makes sense but i think they will icnorporate detent into a question!
Reply 14
I can't believe the short time period of next years spec- I saw it on the website today when I clicked on the wrong one... I was like hang on, what happened to Detente and all that! :p:

Yeah I am doing this topic ... quite like it. I'm mainly reading that kind of A level text book that I think someone mentioned about but I've also got 2 other cold war books - columbia guide and another one, and I've read Rise to Globalism by Steven Ambrose as well.

I like the kind of geopolitical/third world/middle east stuff :smile:
Reply 15
Wasn't the idea of the domino theory around long before IKE coined the phrase. Before it there was the rotten apple theory, same basic principles.
Reply 16
I think this is the best one out of the lot to be honest. I don't really use any text books for revising this, just all the notes and handouts we've had throughout the year. Certainly the most interesting but a bit long.
Reply 17
nickb123
Wasn't the idea of the domino theory around long before IKE coined the phrase. Before it there was the rotten apple theory, same basic principles.

Yes, but the idea of the Rotton Apple was used for Eastern Europe in principle.
Yeah I am doing this - um I tend to find I revise doing mind maps and writing stuff. I often will right mind maps and pages of notes as if they were handouts and then I learn not sure what sort of learning technique it is but it works for. I often end up copying them off for my friends so if any one wants any mind maps on the cold split up into origins, confrontation, detente, end game. Then email me: [email protected]
Cessie
I can't believe the short time period of next years spec- I saw it on the website today when I clicked on the wrong one... I was like hang on, what happened to Detente and all that! :p:

Yeah I am doing this topic ... quite like it. I'm mainly reading that kind of A level text book that I think someone mentioned about but I've also got 2 other cold war books - columbia guide and another one, and I've read Rise to Globalism by Steven Ambrose as well.

I like the kind of geopolitical/third world/middle east stuff :smile:

I know its really short but to be fair they have to learn it in a hell of a lot more detail. We just need to know the general stuff and a bit of detail! So I suppose it swings in roundabouts!

Latest

Trending

Trending