The Student Room Group

Algebraic fractions help!

Okay this is the question I have.

The product of these three expressions is 8. Use this information to find the value of y.

1) y^2+10y+21/2y+8. 2) y^2-16/15. 3) 60/y^2-y-12

Okay I checked in the back of my text book and the answer is -3 but I'm not exactly sure how it got there. Can someone please explain this to me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Could you try clarifying the equations with brackets where appropriate if you're not able to use the latex functions? It's hard to read what's what.

EDIT: Are they:

y2+10y+212y+8 \frac{y^2+10y+21}{2y+8}
y21615\frac{y^2-16}{15}
60y2y12\frac{60}{y^2-y-12}

EDIT2:

Ok just checked that out and they are. Ok, so our aim is to look for cancellations - is there a way we could make these possible cancellations easier to see when we have all these things multiplying together? What do we generally like to do when we have quadratics? When you have these cancellations it should leave you with a simple equation to solve!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Okay and sorry it's because I'm using my phone.

The first expression is:

y(squared)+10y+21/ 2y+8

The second is:

y(squared)-16/ 15

And the final one:

60/ y(squared)-y-12

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I managed to figure them out! Check my first post and see if the hint helps you!
Reply 4
Okay, hold on I'll try it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I've managed to factorise the expressions but I'm not how to individually cancel each one out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Okay good, so now you have these we can just multiply like normal fractions and set them equal to 8. Do you see some common terms top and bottom when all 3 equations are combined?
Reply 7
Reply 8
That's one of them yes, are you able to show your working so far? You should be able to cancel down to just one bracket containing y multiplied by a constant.
Reply 9
Yeah, I've got that down so far.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
So what are you left with in your equation now? Can you post it so I can see what stage you've got to?
Reply 11
Wait so would divide 60/15 and leave the y+4 that is on the denominator of the first fraction or would I cancel that out as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Can you post your big fraction? If I can see what working you've done it'll be much easier to guide you. Just do it like

Numerator = 5(x+1)(x+2)
Denominator = 10(x+2)
Reply 13
Numerator= (y+7)(y+3)(y-4)x4
Denominator=2y^2+2y+24

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Okay, check for a sign errors in your denominator I think you may have inadvertantly changed them. Can you see a common factor in each term of the denominator? After correcting the signs can you do more with the denominator?
Reply 15
Would it be -24 and 2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
okay so your denominator should be 2y^2 - 2y - 24. (check the denominator of your equation 3). Can you see a common factor? Can you factorise?
Reply 17
Posted from TSR Mobile

So who it be y^2-y+12?
Reply 18
Why did you change from -24 to +12? Don't forget you need to keep the 2, as we're working with the denominator but you can move it to the outside and bracket the equation right?

so we'd have:

denominator = 2(y^2 - y - 12)

Can we factorise the bit in the bracket? Can we cancel the 2 with anything in the denominator?
Reply 19
I have no idea... I'm sorry if I'm being at bit of a pain.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest