The Student Room Group

What food to eat during a exam

Scroll to see replies

When I did exams, we couldn't even have water, let alone food.
Reply 61
Original post by nikkoch
Seems a little trivial question to ask, but I have a 2hr paper and am not quite sure what, if at all, to eat?

Don't suppose there are any food nutritionists or experts on the matter here?

:biggrin:

I've heard that by eating something whilst doing revision, chewing gum for example, when you chew it in the exam it will act as a stimulus to remembering everything you done in revision, this may not be true though :smile:
Original post by lolface32
I've heard that by eating something whilst doing revision, chewing gum for example, when you chew it in the exam it will act as a stimulus to remembering everything you done in revision, this may not be true though :smile:

State dependent memory! It's why I try to do revision and practice papers in silence, to replicate the real thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
What I do is I eat a breakfast with slow releasing energy foods- like porridge and cereals that are wholegrain, as well as banana. Drink plenty of water. 2-1.5 hours before the exam. Carry on with the water in smaller sips. By the time the exam starts most of the food will have been digested and so now the oxygen rich blood can concentrate in your brain so it functions at its best. :smile:

Original post by stuart_aitken
State dependent memory! It's why I try to do revision and practice papers in silence, to replicate the real thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Like stuart says, recreating the same state that you were revising in in the exam will improve performance. Smell is one of the best ways to do this. If I'm revising for multiple exams at the same time I'll pick a particular perfume or food scent and I will then either wear that perfume or eat that food during the exam as well.
Mint is also supposed to stimulate your brain as well according to a friend of mine - she was looking at random journal articles and stumbled across it, so Polos or chewing gum might be a good call.
Spaghetti bolognese,just try not to spill the sauce over your exam paper
Original post by stuart_aitken

Posted from TSR Mobile

I totally agree silence=success

Yeh maybe not you would end up concentrating more on the gum than on the actual exam
Reply 68
Original post by Victoriapownall
Yeh maybe not you would end up concentrating more on the gum than on the actual exam

Nope, I never realize I have gum in my mouth until I leave the exam hall, I focus on the exam more :colondollar:
Reply 69
Original post by cambio wechsel
Oddly, some large percentage of people seemingly cannot last the 2 hour duration of a movie shown at the cinema. And they always then complain at how the food is scandalously overpriced.

Yeah, eating at the cinema kind of bugs me a little. I mean not only are you doing something else that should take your concentration - why do you need to sit in the dark eating? My missus is always wanting to buy toffees or whatever when we go to the cinema so I just say to her - look, we will watch the film and go and sit down somewhere afterwards and get a coffee and a cake or an ice cream or whatever. No need to do it all at once. Much more pleasant and sociable to go for food before or after IMO.
Nope, I never realize I have gum in my mouth until I leave the exam hall, I focus on the exam more :colondollar:

Why do you feel the need to chew gum in the first place it gives your wrinkles..
Reply 71
Original post by Victoriapownall
Why do you feel the need to chew gum in the first place it gives your wrinkles..

Research state dependant memory:wink:

And how does it give you wrinkles? :eek:
Reply 72
Original post by madders94
Accompanied by a gospel choir singing a jazz version of "Happy Birthday", to the sound of a band of steel drums.

Then eat the gospel choir as a mid-exam snack.
Are you actually allowed to eat food during an exam?! outrageous revelation !

Before an exam, I normally have a fruit rich in K. :smile:

After an exam, I normally have an expensive, ancient wine to cherish the supposed excellent work I've done before I eventually jump off a bridge.
(edited 10 years ago)

Hi just from experience for revision snacking i'd recommend fruit smoothies, or cut up carrot (or whatever your favorite vegetables are) and having them with dips as a healthy yet fulfilling snack. Pasta is a good energy releasing lunch to have, but if your exam is in the morning i'd recommend having a breakfast of toast and then a yogurt or something also! Drink plenty of water too! Good luck :smile:
Reply 75
Original post by mysterd
I have an undisclosed eating problem which means that I can only eat small portions at a time and get hungry really often.

During all of my IB exams, I took in 2 bananas which I placed on the table at the start of the exam. The invigilators/teachers said nothing for any of my exams. I broke the banana and used to eat it in chunks and pieces rather than in one go and it really helped me keep on going.

Otherwise I get really bad and embarrassing stomach growling which stops me from focussing on my exam :smile:

I hope that's helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ya should of write info on the banana skin!
Reply 76
Last year after every GCSE exam I sat, I ate a pack of Rowntree Randoms :smile:
Original post by BC95
Last year after every GCSE exam I sat, I ate a pack of Rowntree Randoms :smile:

Going by the advert, I can't imagine that went well :wink:
(Damn, you said after, this joke only works if it's during.)
Reply 78
Original post by pinda.college
Doner kebab plastered in chilli sauce & mayo, with some fries on the side.

Priorities

Dirty bulk over exams
Reply 79
Original post by OU Student
When I did exams, we couldn't even have water, let alone food.

"Back in my day..."

Quick Reply

Latest