The Student Room Group

AQA A Psychology AS PSYA1 PSYA2 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lauraaaaa
Haha I need a C at bare minimum for an A overall but it'd be great for full UMS again :smile: I'm sure you'll do it!

Wow, good luck! and you too :biggrin:
Original post by chloeintheskies
Wow, good luck! and you too :biggrin:

A high C I believe, like one mark off a B but I'm really hoping for an A! You'll have to lemme know what you thought when we've done the paper!
Reply 82
Could someone please clear something up for me please?

Do we need to know about disruptions of attachment or not? Could a 12 marker come up on this?

Thanks!
Reply 83
can anyone give me good A02 for the working memory model?
A high C I believe, like one mark off a B but I'm really hoping for an A! You'll have to lemme know what you thought when we've done the paper!

Yeah, and you! I have some serious revising to be doing now ^_^
Original post by Alejandro

Do we need to know about disruptions of attachment or not? Could a 12 marker come up on this?

Thanks!

Yeah I mean a 12-marker could come up on pretty much anything. Correct me if I'm wrong I think January's was 'research into Privation' so the exam board are unlikely to repeat the exact question so you can kinda rule that out.

Just remember that privation is case of Genie/Czech twins and disruption of attachment is Peterson & Petersons research on John. (I always mix them up :s-smilie: )
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 86
i hate unit 1 so much:frown:
Guys what would an essay plan be for
'Outline and Evaluation research into Distruption of Attachment'
This will be my fourth time sitting this exam... I need an A so badly!
Reply 89
I'm really hoping the 12 marker is a memory question and not a social development one!
Reply 90
Original post by apple78

Good Points:

-Generally thought to be a much better memory model than the multi store model, and explains how we can carry out complex tasks.

-Lots of research support, Baddeley's dual task study supports it, his word length study supports the VSS and his tracking and F shape task supports the phonological loop (look these up to find out more about them)

Bad Points:

-The central executive is the most important part, and the least information is given about it.

-Too much focus on STM and not enough on LTM.

Generally thought to be a good model though, and the bad points are pretty trivial compared to the good points :smile:
Reply 91
Original post by NiallD
Good Points:

-Generally thought to be a much better memory model than the multi store model, and explains how we can carry out complex tasks.

-Lots of research support, Baddeley's dual task study supports it, his word length study supports the VSS and his tracking and F shape task supports the phonological loop (look these up to find out more about them)

Bad Points:

-The central executive is the most important part, and the least information is given about it.

-Too much focus on STM and not enough on LTM.

Generally thought to be a good model though, and the bad points are pretty trivial compared to the good points :smile:

Another weakness could be that some of the evidence comes from the brain damaged and is therefore not completely valid :smile:
Reply 92
Original post by Alejandro

Thanks!

You'll need to know about it because they could very well include it as a 4 or 6 marker.
Reply 93
Original post by I want to be Moz
Yeah I mean a 12-marker could come up on pretty much anything. Correct me if I'm wrong I think January's was 'research into Privation' so the exam board are unlikely to repeat the exact question so you can kinda rule that out.

Just remember that privation is case of Genie/Czech twins and disruption of attachment is Peterson & Petersons research on John. (I always mix them up :s-smilie: )

Ah okay, thanks for that!
Reply 94
I'm really stressing out for this exam
I'm good at Research methods/memory
I'm also prettty good at exam technique/questions
But I don't know about attachment, and i'm thinking of revising all of attachment the day before the exam, is it still possible for me to get an A? I really really want an A and I have nbiology exam tomorrow, and that's hard enough as it is, not sure if I can do all of attachment the day before the exam :frown:
Reply 95
Original post by callum1777
i've never ever been taught evaluation points for memory improvement? could anyone give me a slight brief idea about them please because if it's the 12 marker im screwed and i need my A aha! thankyou

Strengths would be:
1.Extremely reliable as many people have used them with considerable success.
2. Greatly reduces the length of time it take to learn information and involves little effort.
3.Useful real life applications e.g a group of English speaking executives were able to learn 400 words in 12 hours using a method similar to face/name technique.

Weaknesses
Not all strategies work,some are only useful fro lists,mnemonics dont work for all people
Many individuals may be put off by the fact that in several techniques you have to initially add to the amount of info you are trying to learn e.g you have to learn a list of words first before you can use the pegword technique.
Both theses factors reduce usefulness of strategies.

You can also use research evidence to back each method up or you can talk about why the different methods work, hope this helps:smile:
Reply 96
Original post by apple78

Good evaluations is the case of KF supports the model as he had a car accident that damaged his STM and as a result he was unable to remember things that he sees e.g. visual info. However he was able to remember stuff he hears e.g. auditory info. This suggests that there is more than one part to the STM as the working memory model suggests.

As for a weakness - there is limited amount of research on the central executive which is alarming since that is supposed to be the main control system of the STM so we are left wondering how it works.

You should also look up the dual task technique
Okay, so I'm still slightly confused about how AO2 is marked. Would 3 evaluation points, using the 3-point rule described in the textbook, and all 3 including research + an explanation be enough for the "Narrower range in greater depth" marks? How would I structure an answer for "Broad range of issues/evidence at reasonable depth"?
Reply 98
Original post by NiallD

Original post by apple78

Original post by bellablythe

Original post by rollinglikerob

Thank you all for your help and suggestions, the community on this website is really amazing and supportive!!

One thing that I have learned that works for me (day before the exam, no less...) is to highlight a keyword or phrase on the flashcard. Acts like a trigger for the name of the study! I did a bit of research and also found that knowing dates isn't too important.

Good luck to everybody tomorrow!! Remember to drink loads of water and get a really good nights sleep : )
Reply 99
I'm resitting this exam tomorrow as well (got a low B in January). Because of other exam's I have only today to learn attachment!

Do you think I could get away with just learning AO1 and then learn evaluation for topics that didn't come up in January (e.g. bowlby, learning theory)

Also how many people have learned influence of attachment research and influence of day care research??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending