The Student Room Group

AQA A Psychology AS PSYA1 PSYA2 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1620
just seen that too! thanks anyway, hope your exam goes well!
Reply 1621
Original post by Suzanna5678
have you got an evaluation for this ???

also mention Beck...
Beck's cognition therapy:
- used for people with depression
- encourages clients to challenge thoughts
- He devised the 'Beck Depression Inventory' - assessment scale for depression

Evaluation for both REBT and Beck's cognition therapy:
Positive...
- Diverse applications, as they are becoming more popular and widely used in the NHS.
- Effective, they are treatment for a number of different disorders
- Appropriate, useful for both clinical and non clinical populaions

negative...
- Not suitable for everyone
- Take a long time and are expensive
- People are always going to come across a new situation/problem

In the Outline part of the question you may also want to briefly state the general procedures for CBT....
- Cognitive element
therapist encourages client to become aware of beliefs
-Behavioral element
How beliefs can be reality tested
Aim is to get clients to recognise consequences of irrational thoughts
New goals are set for client
Reply 1622
any predictions for tomorrow?
Reply 1623
Original post by ChrisP8
any predictions for tomorrow?

Hmm I have a feeling that we may get a stress 12 marker as there hasn't been one for a while...
If it is stress I hope it's on workplace stress or daily hassles/life changes!!!
Reply 1624
Can someone tell me the limitations of using questionnaires please? :smile:
Reply 1625
Outline and evaluate the cognitive approach to abnormality:
The cognitive approach suggests that abnormality is a result of faulty thinking. Behaviour is controlled by our thoughts and beliefs, and therefore the individual is the cause of their own irrational thoughts which cause abnormality. This is shown by Ellis (1962) in the ABC model. The first stage of this model is activation events, which is a stimulus which can cause different beliefs. These beliefs can be rational or irrational. The final stage is consequences, which can be either healthy or unhealthy. Irrational thoughts have unhealthy consequences, which can cause abnormality by increasing the risk of developing anxiety or depression. Common irrational beliefs also include catasprophizing, where everything is made more dramatic, and overgeneralization, where you believe you will fail everything. Other irrational thoughts are shown in Beck's model of depression, which suggests there is a cognitive triad of negative thinking which can cause depression. These 3 factors are negative view of the self, negative view of the world and negative view of the future.

However there are some problems with the cognitive model of abnormality. One of these problems is the fact that the cognitive models ignores situational factors which can also cause depression as well as irrational thoughts. Ignoring life events or family situations suggests that this model is too simplistic in explaining the causes of abnormality. Also, it is not clear whether irrational thoughts cause depression or whether depression causes irrational thoughts. We cannot establish a causal relationship between the two, suggesting the cognitive model is unclear. It may just be that irrational thoughts increase the risk of developing depression and therefore being abnormal. Also, some irrational beliefs may actually be realistic for those who suffer from depression. Alloy and Abrahmsom (1979) suggested that some depressive people are able to give more accurate estimates of life, and that they may not always have irrational thoughts and faulty thinking. This is known as the sadder but wiser effect, acting as a problem for the cognitive approach as it questions the way depressed people can think.

Outline and evaluate the cognitive treatments for abnormality
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy aims to teach patients to be aware of their irrational beliefs, and then improve their thinking to become more rational, which will then have positive consequences. Rational Emotive Behavioural Therapy (REBT) was created by Ellis (1952) and is a type of CBT. It aims to change the irrational thoughts that lead to unproductive outcomes into rational thoughts leading to productive outcomes. Patients are encouraged to challenge these in 3 main ways. The first was is through empirical disputing, the idea that self-defeating beliefs are not consistent with reality. Also through pragmatic disputing, the idea that self-defeating beliefs are useless, and finally logical disputing, the idea that irrational thoughts are not logical. By challenging these irrational beliefs, having an effective attitude to life and feeling positive, abnormality can be reduced according the DEF model in extension to the ABC model. This can reduce catastrophising and over generalising, helping someone to act in a more rational way to become more self accepting.

There is evidence which supports the effectiveness of CBT in treating abnormality. Engles et al (2003) conducted a meta-analysis of 28 studies, and found that REBT is effective for a range of disorders, including OCD and social anxiety. It was also found that REBT is more effective than other psychological therapies including systematic desensitisation, showing how REBT can be applied effectively in the real world. Also, REBT is appropriate as it can be used on the general population to treat minor problems such as exam anxiety as well as major disorders such as OCD. This supports REBT, suggesting that it can be effective on a range of problems. Also, REBT can be delivered by computer. Yoichi et al (2002) developed a computer programme which allows patients to undergo 50 minute sessions of REBT online, including educaion about the ACB model and positive and negative ways of dealing with irrational thoughts. This has been found to reduce levels of anxiety among patients, showing that REBT is appropriate because a therapist is not always needed. However there are some problems with using REBT to treat abnormality. One of these problems is that that treatment fails to take in to account irrational environments such as relationship abuse or problems at work. This is a problem for REBT as it suggests the benefits of the therapy may not be lifelong, as situational factors can promote future abnormality.
Got a feeling the 8 marker will be a treatment and 12 marker will be obedience/workplace stress or personality
Original post by kited4
Outline and evaluate the cognitive approach to abnormality:

Can you read through mine and comment please? :smile:

The cognitive approach to abnormality would suggest that abnormal behaviour is due to faulty thinking. Key features include that the mind works like an information processor, and that behaviour may be caused by irrational thoughts. This is because Beck suggests that we may develop a negative schema that can arise from a negative situation, which may lead to a negative view of yourself and the future. There is empirical support to suggest that abnormality may be caused by faulty thinking. Research by Gustafson (1992) found that irrational thinking processes were displayed by many people with disorders such as anxiety and depression. This makes the cognitive explanations more valid. However, with the theory of cognitive deficits, you cannot establish a cause and effect. This is because, when studying people you cannot be sure whether cognitive deficits are causing abnormalities or vice versa. Therefore, we cannot suggest that this explanation is complete in showing why abnormal behaviour occurs. This approach focuses on the control someone has over their behaviour. It suggests that we are unaware that we have faulty thinking, because this is unconscious. Furthermore, it suggests that people displaying abnormal behaviour make negative internal and global attributions. Therapies aim to change this so it is more reflective of reality. Cognitive therapies have been successful in treating some abnormalities. For example, CBT, which focuses on challenging irrational thoughts has been found to be more effective than concentrating on immediate behaviours. This makes the cognitive explanations more reliable. However, this approach puts the blame of the abnormality onto the patient too much. It ignores other factors which can contribute such as genetics or the environment. Therefore, this explanation is too simplistic in outlining the cause of the abnormality.
Reply 1628
Original post by gloriousgloria
o, I though it was (on average) 36.8% of the responses that were incorrect in each trial, and 75% had conformed overall in the 12 trials? is this wrong?

37% conformity rate across the criticial trials. 75% of participants conformed at least once.
Original post by Suzanna5678
Got a feeling the 8 marker will be a treatment and 12 marker will be obedience/workplace stress or personality

That is highly likely as they have not yet appeared. :cool:
Reply 1630
Original post by kk_15
Can you read through mine and comment please? :smile:

The cognitive approach to abnormality would suggest that abnormal behaviour is due to faulty thinking. Key features include that the mind works like an information processor, and that behaviour may be caused by irrational thoughts. This is because Beck suggests that we may develop a negative schema that can arise from a negative situation, which may lead to a negative view of yourself and the future. There is empirical support to suggest that abnormality may be caused by faulty thinking. Research by Gustafson (1992) found that irrational thinking processes were displayed by many people with disorders such as anxiety and depression. This makes the cognitive explanations more valid. However, with the theory of cognitive deficits, you cannot establish a cause and effect. This is because, when studying people you cannot be sure whether cognitive deficits are causing abnormalities or vice versa. Therefore, we cannot suggest that this explanation is complete in showing why abnormal behaviour occurs. This approach focuses on the control someone has over their behaviour. It suggests that we are unaware that we have faulty thinking, because this is unconscious. Furthermore, it suggests that people displaying abnormal behaviour make negative internal and global attributions. Therapies aim to change this so it is more reflective of reality. Cognitive therapies have been successful in treating some abnormalities. For example, CBT, which focuses on challenging irrational thoughts has been found to be more effective than concentrating on immediate behaviours. This makes the cognitive explanations more reliable. However, this approach puts the blame of the abnormality onto the patient too much. It ignores other factors which can contribute such as genetics or the environment. Therefore, this explanation is too simplistic in outlining the cause of the abnormality.

Very good :biggrin: maybe just split into AO1 and AO2 to make it clearer but i dont see why that wouldnt be an A :smile: :smile: :smile:
Reply 1631
Original post by Lackadaisical
What about SIT? I know that it is more specific to stress, but isn't SIT a form of CBT?

Yeah SIT is a form of CBT and I think you can still use it for the question its just that I have been taught to use it as a form of stress management
When answering a 12 marker on cognitive therapies is it essential that you talk about REBT as well as becks depression thingy, really haven't got the strength to starting learning new things a day before exam. :frown:
Original post by kited4
Very good :biggrin: maybe just split into AO1 and AO2 to make it clearer but i dont see why that wouldnt be an A :smile: :smile: :smile:

Yeah, I thought that as well but my teacher said that examiners prefer that you evaluate "as your going along" with the description. Apparently, it can gain you an extra mark because of high quality of written communication. :wink:
Original post by katiekarnif
37% conformity rate across the criticial trials. 75% of participants conformed at least once.

Yeah, thats what I thought but I was told 32% :s-smilie: I think Ill just stick 36.8%/37%.
Can anyone briefly point out what they would write if the 12 marker was about obedience?
When answering a 12 marker on cognitive therapies is it essential that you talk about REBT as well as becks depression thingy, really haven't got the strength to starting learning new things a day before exam. :frown:

My teacher said all we need to know is one type of CBT so I wouldn't worry

I don't think that a 12-mark question explicitly on therapies will appear.
Your more likely to get a "scenario question" such as "Diane is afraid of the dark, what therapies would you suggest etc..." :s-smilie:
Reply 1638
I do have an essay on the psychodynamic approach and work related stress which got 11/12 and 12/12 if anyone would like me to post?
Original post by Lackadaisical
Can anyone briefly point out what they would write if the 12 marker was about obedience?

Milgram - procedure, findings, conclusions.
Evaluate both methodology used and touch on ethics.

Zimbardo - procedure, findings.
Evaluate the same way, then sum up maybe with one explanation for obedience and a contradictory point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending