The Student Room Group

Need for female scientists overstated?

http://sites.mediaplanet.com/stem-education/star-to-scientist

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2013/jan/14/sexual-discrimination-science

(sorry if this is posted in the wrong section)

Firstly may I point out that I am totally in favour of female scientists, all of my science teachers at 6th form are female and are outstanding. Having said that, I do not understand this new 'need' for female scientists.

This reminds me of an earlier post where there was a scholarship (or something along those lines) available only to female applicants, which is surely sexist? Although I am not particularly well schooled in the matter I doubt that there is any negative discrimination in the STEM subjects towards women, or at least not to the lengths being made out. So I do not understand why we have a 'need' for female scientists. Why? Surely sex is irrelevant when it comes to academic prowess and competence of a scientist, in which case why is there this positive discrimination for women now to enter science. If they are well qualified and motivated they should be able to get into these courses, and have been getting into these courses.

There is however some evidence (second source) that shows that women do get a harder deal. The author does propose a solution by short-listing the best x female candidates. I do not think this is right because it is discriminatory. Although one could argue I am biased as I am a man even if the tables were turned I do not think I would want the positive discrimination (of course I have no evidence or any actual idea that that is the case but that is how I think I would react).

To be honest if I were to receive positive discrimination I would find it condescending and would wish to be judged purely on relevant points - not whether I was a man or woman.

What are your thoughts on this? Should there be incentives put forward exclusively for women to get into science? - or is this positive discrimination completely wrong and should never be the case?

Personally I think that there is no 'NEED' for female scientists, but a need for the BEST scientists - regardless of gender. I also do not think that there should be any positive discrimination.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending