The Student Room Group

Uni Exams too hard! Help please

I'm in my first year studying Dentistry. I know university is meant to be difficult but I seem to be finding it a lot harder than my fellow course mates. In January we had a multiple choice paper and I was so happy with how I did, getting 72% in one module, 76% in another and 80% (coming 12th in a year of 80) in another which is meant to be the hardest module.

In my coursework, I seem to have not done very well, scraping a pass mark (50%) or just above whilst my friends definitely get a lot higher than me (one got 88%!!).

I am now in the middle of my exam period and have just finished what will probably be my hardest exams as these are short answer and essay questions on the difficult modules. I have been revising for about 6 weeks now for these exams and have read through my notes about 4 or 5 times and feel like I know some of the content very well. Some of it I am not so sure on but I know that there is just too much for me to know it all very well. I do the exam and think it goes okay-ish and then I come out and everyone normally finds it roughly how I found it but they talk about the answers and I realise that I haven't put half as much as they have, even though they say they 'only started revision a week ago' and have 'read through the notes once'.

Where do you lot think I am going wrong? I have always had a terrible short term memory and I get very anxious before exams too and it's very rare for me not to feel incredibly sick before an exam starts. Today I just wanted to walk out of the exam because the exam was that bad. Surely there must be other people who feel like this...

Any advice?
Hey almost everyone has a phase of thinking they'll fail uni or get insecure about their grades. You're in first year so there's still plenty of time to improve and turn your grades around. What I did was ask module and course tutors to meet me and go over coursework or exam papers and explain to me why I didn't do better.

Last year I was told I knew it. And understanding was good but my exam technique was off! So it may just be one or a few things you're getting wrong.

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending