The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Postgraduates 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

The main main benefit is that you dont have to deal with a landlord and dont have to deal with 'bills'. The downside of course is that you are surrounded by other students 24/7 who you havnt necessarily chosen to live with.

http://www.nestoria.co.uk/
is a good nationwide site to use to look for main-stream private rental accommodation. http://www.bristoldigs.co.uk/ is a Bristol company with a sensible reputation. Be aware that most stuff will get taken up well before the start of term. If you are certain you'll be coming to Bristol its worth looking now as everyone leaves, and if necessary paying a retainer/the rental over the summer.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 21
Does anyone know what the best way of getting to know other postgrads is? I would have thought there would be a Facebook page or something to help people connect before starting but haven't seen one yet. I've very recently heard about a house search event that is held early September which allows people to meet up and look for accom together.
Once you have actually enrolled, there will be plenty of subject and Departmental socials organised for the start of term. Make the most of them (however strained it seems) - and take phone numbers/emails from anyone you meet/like.

All postgrads at all Unis feel a sense of isolation, especially those on research degrees who have no 'class' or 'lab' element - its really easy to feel isolated and 'not part of the Uni'. Bristol is making BIG steps at the moment to deal with this and create a better environment for research postgrads. Some of this will be in place for October and will include sensible online elements to share info etc.
Reply 23
Original post by Jasmine_O
I just applied for Colston Street but looking for private accommodation as well. Is there a benefit to stay in university accommodation opposed to private?

Absolutely, private landlords can be a bit hit and miss, and generally (in my experience) the "best" houses in Bristol are the ones where people who know each other live together. On the other hand, private is usually a bit cheaper, and I recently went to a party at one in a fantastic house on Royal York Crescent which was made up of individually let rooms.

If you're just staying for one year, then uni acc is probably the least hassle.
Reply 24
Original post by juliezalex
Absolutely, private landlords can be a bit hit and miss, and generally (in my experience) the "best" houses in Bristol are the ones where people who know each other live together. On the other hand, private is usually a bit cheaper, and I recently went to a party at one in a fantastic house on Royal York Crescent which was made up of individually let rooms.

If you're just staying for one year, then uni acc is probably the least hassle.

Hi, that's what I thought too.I will be staying and studying there for only one year so it made sense to go for the uni acco. But now I am having doubts, since I am hearing everywhere that uni acco is much more expensive than private rentals. Is that the truth? Generally, how much of a difference is there?
Reply 25
Hey everyone! I got, and accepted, an offer to read MSc Public Policy; very excited!
I did my undergrad in Bristol as well (I am from Denmark though), and its a fantastic city! I don't ever want to leave.
As for accommodation, don't sweat it, finding a room in Bristol isn't exactly hard and its usually a good deal cheaper than university halls.

Hi,

I am an overseas student and have received an offer for MSc Public Policy as well. But I am waiting for my LSE and UCL results too. I am a bit confused if I should just go ahead with Bristol considering how expensive living in London would be. Since you have done your undergrad there, you might have an idea about the postgrad employment scenario for the course. Could you please let me know the kind of job profile students end up with after MSc Public Policy. Your inputs would be greatly appreciated. :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by targetivy
Hi,

I am an overseas student and have received an offer for MSc Public Policy as well. But I am waiting for my LSE and UCL results too. I am a bit confused if I should just go ahead with Bristol considering how expensive living in London would be. Since you have done your undergrad there, you might have an idea about the postgrad employment scenario for the course. Could you please let me know the kind of job profile students end up with after MSc Public Policy. Your inputs would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

I actually did my undergrad in spatial planning, so I'm not suuuuper clued up on it, but I'll give it my best shot.
If you're planning on interning during your studies, I'd say there's more opportunities in London. I've found something in Bristol, and there are actually loads of organisations, but you have to look a little harder, it being a smaller city and that. In terms of afterwards, it really depends on what you want to do. Public policy is an analytical course, so I'd say there's loads more you can do than just work in civil service and the like, which would probably mainly be in london. I'm really interested in housing policy myself, and I do intend on settling in Bristol for that after finishing.

As for deciding what uni to go for, I know lse is well regarded in the private sector, and Bristol is really renowned for its social and urban policy institutes.

Hope that helps? Maybe see you at Bristol! Went down the precinct today, sooooo pretty :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by nik1389
Hi, that's what I thought too.I will be staying and studying there for only one year so it made sense to go for the uni acco. But now I am having doubts, since I am hearing everywhere that uni acco is much more expensive than private rentals. Is that the truth? Generally, how much of a difference is there?

Well, I'm not sure about the exact cost of uni acc as I've always rented privately here, but if the cost is 6000 per year, then you can definitely do it cheaper elsewhere. It's worth remembering that Bristol isn't very big, and because of the central location of the uni precinct, you can walk there from most semi central areas. I'd say generally you are looking at between 70-100 per week for most student houses (dont know if you're British and already know this, but make sure its a student house or you'll end up paying council tax). You definitely WILL save money staying in a private house, absolutely. There's a very good reason why student accommodation is widely considered a very good investment in the property industry :wink:

Clifton is generally the most expensive area, but the uni is close to cotham too, which is slightly cheaper. Stokes croft and Montpelier is a 20 min walk away, and rooms there are a good bit cheaper than Clifton, and the area is much more exciting anyway. Redland is a good option too, again, slightly cheaper than Clifton and central.
Reply 28
Original post by targetivy
Hi,

Go for Bristol though :smile: it's such a cool city, and the university is world class. Londons just too big, in my opinion anyway
Reply 29
Though I'm extremely excited about going to Bristol, apart of me still wonders whether it was the right decision to pick it over Glasgow and Birmingham (both would have been cheaper options and chances of getting a scholarship are also higher I think). The reason I ended up with Bristol is because the course content seemed more interesting, heard fantastic things about the City and of course the prestige.
Reply 30
Go for Bristol though :smile: it's such a cool city, and the university is world class. Londons just too big, in my opinion anyway

Thanks julie! But now, the results are out: rejected by LSE; accepted by UCL. So i am in a deeper state of confusion...Bristol Vs UCL MSc Public Policy!! Somebody help!!:confused:
Reply 31
I thought it would be nice if there was a thread where people starting postgrad course this sept could get to know each other before just to make life easier. I'm a home student studying computer science MSc. (Still looking for accommodation)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Don't know if you have uni usernames etc. yet but you can use this to look for accommodation https://www.bris.ac.uk/accommodation/secure/accommbull It's the uni accommodation bulletin board
Original post by Sandman62
I thought it would be nice if there was a thread where people starting postgrad course this sept could get to know each other before just to make life easier. I'm a home student studying computer science MSc. (Still looking for accommodation)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey I'm not sure if you've seen the Postgraduates 2013/2014 thread, but it seemed like it was for a similar purpose so I've merged your thread with the aforementioned one. If you feel like it doesn't fit, however, that's fine and you can have a separate thread as you like it. :smile:
Reply 34
I am potentially joining in September studying MSc Economics and Public Policy. Haven't yet accepted my offer, but it was my first choice programme, it's just finances that are putting me off a bit at the moment.
Reply 35
Original post by lyss
Hey! Thanks! International relations sounds interesting as well! How did you wind up going from zoology to international relations? That seems like a pretty large switch. I'm from New York, but really excited to live somewhere new for a bit! Good luck deciding on a school, it's so tough!

Well I'm interested in diplomacy and foreign affairs too, and combining both to do something enviroment-related in diplomacy or the UN really interests me. That's cool! I've always wanted to go to New York. Have you ever been to Bristol before?

Going back a few posts to accommodation - I've applied for uni accommodation as well but it sounds unlikely for us home students to get anything. Anyone heard back from accommodation yet?
Reply 36
Original post by Sandman62
I have offers from Bristol, Glasgow, Newcastle, Birmingham and a few others for my MSc. I think I will end up at Bristol but was wondering what a postgrad's social life is like? Obviously you cannot go out as much and waste as much money as you do during your undergrad but what can you tell me? Will I have time to join any clubs and societies?

Hi, have you chosen which uni you want to go to yet? I've been wondering about what social life is like for MSc as well! I'm pretty social generally and obviously want to make friends and meet lots of people when going back to uni. From talking to my friends that have done MSc or are postgrad at the moment it sounds like there's still plenty of opportunity for a social life, despite the workload! Does anyone know what kind of postgrad fresher-type events there are at Bristol?
Reply 37
Original post by dltp2013
Well I'm interested in diplomacy and foreign affairs too, and combining both to do something enviroment-related in diplomacy or the UN really interests me. That's cool! I've always wanted to go to New York. Have you ever been to Bristol before?

Going back a few posts to accommodation - I've applied for uni accommodation as well but it sounds unlikely for us home students to get anything. Anyone heard back from accommodation yet?

The website says guaranteed applicants will be notified 22 July and non-guaranteed in August. Which accommodation did you apply for?
Reply 38
Hello, I've just accepted an offer for the MSc in Transfusion and Transplantation Science and am also still looking for accommodation. As an EU student it will be difficult to come over. Are there any I should definitely avoid because they have a bad rep or are very 'party' orientated?
Original post by isadorala
Hello, I've just accepted an offer for the MSc in Transfusion and Transplantation Science and am also still looking for accommodation. As an EU student it will be difficult to come over. Are there any I should definitely avoid because they have a bad rep or are very 'party' orientated?

For postgraduate, Woodland Court and Colston St. are good ones. The former is known for being quite quiet, if you prefer that thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending