The Student Room Group

i need your opinions on A2 physics

how deep do you go into the concepts of phyiscs?
(including nuclear phyiscs and astrophysics)

how interesting do you find the topics?

and finally, what dont you like about it?

by the way, my college does OCR A

thanks in advance
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Infinity_4652
hellooo! im just wondering what A2 physics is like

how deep do you go into the concepts of phyiscs??
(including nuclear phyiscs and astrophysics)

how interesting do you find the topics?

and finally, what dont you like about it?

by the way, my college does OCR A

thanks in advance

I do ocr A, and I'm in year 13.

First exam is on oscillations, newtons three laws, momentum, ideal gases. It's the one out of 60, and personally I find it easy.
I scrapped an A last year, but I'm getting A* in the G484 mocks.
However, G485 which is the long one consists of electric fields, magnetic fields, stars etc and a massive chunk of medical physics. Medical physics is LITERALLY remembering the model answers. I did it back in January and got a C, (but only 10 marks off an A :s) so I'm resitting it.

The maths used in both modules are very similar, the annoying part is remembering the long answer questions.

Physics is definitely interesting in A2, I don't love it though, nor do one hate it.

Also what subjects do you do?
I do maths mechanics and chemistry, and they both relate to the topics in physics in some way, so in a sense theres slightly less I have to learn.

Any more questions feel free to ask :biggrin:
Reply 2
I'm doing physics A2 at the moment and am loving it.

Having said that it is very hard, and without a firm grasp of the mathematics involved it will be hard to fully appreciate the beauty of some of the topics involved (eg, in gravitational fields if you use partial differentiation on gravitational potential you find you get gravitational field strength).

The topics are very interesting though. I'm not sure about OCR but with AQA we have an optional module, which can either be Turning Points, Medical, Applied or Astro. Nuclear stuff is compulsory.
Original post by eggfriedrice

Also what subjects do you do?
I do maths mechanics and chemistry, and they both relate to the topics in physics in some way, so in a sense theres slightly less I have to learn.

A level mechanics?? i never you could do M1-M5 to get an A level in mechanics.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
A level mechanics?? i never you could do M1-M5 to get an A level in mechanics. :confused:

my maths teacher told me hardly anyone in the country does M4 & M5.
M5 is mostly used at uni for 1st year undergrads who do maths/physics. is he right?

for my AS level options, i do maths,physics,further maths and french

"Maths mechanics" means A-level Maths with only mechanics applied modules. So C1-C4, M1 and M2.
Original post by justinawe
"Maths mechanics" means A-level Maths with only mechanics applied modules. So C1-C4, M1 and M2.

whoopsy... my bad
(edited 10 years ago)
whoopsy! my bad! :biggrin:

Haha yups, that's what I meant.

Quick Reply

Latest