The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Starting OU in October

Hi, i'm due to start a degree through the open university in October, studying social sciences with a sociology pathway, and just wondering if anyone who has or is studying with the OU has any advice they can give me for studying, time management etc?

I work full time as a teaching assistant with special needs children so my studying is going to be in the evenings and at the weekends so this is going to need a lot of motivation so i'd be very grateful for any insight and advice!

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
Hi there,

I can definitely advise you to establish a routine as early as possible. It will help you to know when things are due and keep your motivation up. Most people find studying around 8-10 hours per week is satisfactory for doing well. Also, don't be too hard on yourself if you don't originally get amazing marks - it's a big learning curve and it takes time to adjust to the OU way of doing things. Get to grips with referencing early on!

All the best on your study journey. :0)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Hello, I am only starting my open degree in October so can't give you any advice really but just wanted to drop in and say hi :smile:
Reply 3
I'm starting a Psycology OU degree in October,
Hi :smile:
Reply 4

Hi again, thanks Delaine, i'm quite organised so going to try get in a routine early on! Do they give you any support and advice for referencing?

What degree are you going to start in Oct Animemanic? And Hi also krocks! Are you both doing much prep or pre reading etc? I'm just almost completing my student finance now so once thats all sorted will hopefully be pretty sorted!
I am starting the OU Open degree which means I have completely free choice when it comes to picking modules as I can mix and match unlike a name named degree where I would have a more limited choice. I choose it rather than a named degree as I have lots of different interests and couldn't narrow it down so decided the open degree is the perfect choice for me :smile:. No not yet as I am still getting my finance sorted out which hopefully doesn't take to long!
Reply 6
Just wanted to say hello. I'm also doing OU psychology, starting with social sciences in October :smile:
Reply 7
Hi Charlotte (and everyone else)
I too am an SEN TA. I work full time and have 2 small children (4yrs and 5yrs). I will be starting my degree in October too. I will start with E111 (supporting teaching and learning in primary schools) and will be working towards the degree Childhood and Youth Studies.
I am quite organised but am a little worried that I won't find the time or be able to stay motivated, but going to give it a good shot though!

Quick Reply

Latest