The Student Room Group

How are you supposed to know what the products are?

Sometimes, the products that I think will be made, aren't always right.
How are you supposed to know (in chemical equations).
Like this one, help!

Equation to show reaction that occurs when ZnS is heated in air.
So I know, that it would be ZnS + O2
Now I'm stuck.
Reply 1
Original post by ILoveUSA
Sometimes, the products that I think will be made, aren't always right.
How are you supposed to know (in chemical equations).
Like this one, help!

Equation to show reaction that occurs when ZnS is heated in air.
So I know, that it would be ZnS + O2
Now I'm stuck.

The oxygen is used in a step to extract zinc (the process is not complete, it still requires reduction) - this is the standard method for removing sulfur in metallic ores.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Just be aware to look out for decomposition every time you see heating. Nonetheless this is a combustion. So the products should be obvious: ZnO (oxide, right?) and - the only other non-elemental neutral form of S (it's got to be neutral to keep the charge balance across the equation) - SO2.

In general, if you could answer the question of "what products will there be" comprehensively then chemists would have to shut up shop (or department) that very day, because it is around this question that all of that which is properly classified as chemistry is based. (Materials science if you ask me is more physics than chemistry, except when it comes to, once again, reactions.)
Reply 3
Original post by joostan
The oxygen is used to extract zinc - this is the standard method for removing sulfur in metallic ores.

Are you sure? I'd have thought it was 2 ZnS + 3 O2 -> 2 ZnO + 2 SO2.
Reply 4
Original post by Big-Daddy
Are you sure? I'd have thought it was 2 ZnS + 3 O2 -> 2 ZnO + 2 SO2.

Yeah - see edit, reading your post I realised my statement was open to misinterpretation. :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest