The Student Room Group

Missed IELTS offer?

Hello, my conditions at the IELTS exam are 7.0 overall, with minimum 6.5 in each component. I scored 7.0 overall, with 7.5 in Listening, 7.0 in both Reading and Speaking, and 6.0 in Writing (so less than 6.5). Will I be asked to resit the exam, or there's a chance they'll accept me with those results? It'd be pretty annoying if I'll be asked to resit, considering that I've barely studied for the exam, especially for the Writing part, where candidates should be familiar with different structures some essays may need. I was concentrated more on my other exams (I have the Baccalaureate), so didn't focus very much on the IELTS. :frown:
Original post by aalex
Hello, my conditions at the IELTS exam are 7.0 overall, with minimum 6.5 in each component. I scored 7.0 overall, with 7.5 in Listening, 7.0 in both Reading and Speaking, and 6.0 in Writing (so less than 6.5). Will I be asked to resit the exam, or there's a chance they'll accept me with those results? It'd be pretty annoying if I'll be asked to resit, considering that I've barely studied for the exam, especially for the Writing part, where candidates should be familiar with different structures some essays may need. I was concentrated more on my other exams (I have the Baccalaureate), so didn't focus very much on the IELTS. :frown:

It will depend - the university has set out their requirements for what they feel you need to achieve in order to be a student at their university, so if you've fallen short of that in the writing aspect then they may consider this to be a problem.

All you can do is contact Warwick and let them know of your scores and then they will tell you what to do next, no one other than them can tell you.
Reply 2
Original post by oxymoronic
It will depend - the university has set out their requirements for what they feel you need to achieve in order to be a student at their university, so if you've fallen short of that in the writing aspect then they may consider this to be a problem.

All you can do is contact Warwick and let them know of your scores and then they will tell you what to do next, no one other than them can tell you.

Thank you for your answer!

I sent them an email and they said that I need to retake the exam if I want to meet the offer. :frown: Anyway I've decided I'll fill a enquiry on the Writing part, but the remarking could take up to 8 weeks. The soonest date I can register for an exam in my country in that period is the 14th of June, with the exam taking place on the 17th of August. The results will be published online 13 days after the exam, so on the 30th of August, only one day before the deadline. I think it's not possible to send them in the UK in only one day, it may take 3 to 5 days, so it will most likely exceed the 31st of August deadline. They could check my results ONLINE on the 30th of August though, but I don't know if they will be ok with that?
Original post by aalex
Thank you for your answer!

I sent them an email and they said that I need to retake the exam if I want to meet the offer. :frown: Anyway I've decided I'll fill a enquiry on the Writing part, but the remarking could take up to 8 weeks. The soonest date I can register for an exam in my country in that period is the 14th of June, with the exam taking place on the 17th of August. The results will be published online 13 days after the exam, so on the 30th of August, only one day before the deadline. I think it's not possible to send them in the UK in only one day, it may take 3 to 5 days, so it will most likely exceed the 31st of August deadline. They could check my results ONLINE on the 30th of August though, but I don't know if they will be ok with that?

That's pushing it tight - I'm not 100% sure of the verification aspects for IELTS exams, I'm assuming the university can't pick up your scores online and instead you have to post them to them, or something like that? If the results were published on 30th August and you got them to Warwick by 31st August then this would class as meeting your offer but if it was 1st September then you would have missed the deadline. You need to go back to Warwick and explain this to them and see what they say.

Do you live close to a border? Can you take the exam in another country, or fly to the UK to sit it earlier, for example?

What about UCL, have you met their offer in full or do they have the same conditions as Warwick?
Reply 4
Got it all sorted out, they will check my results online on the 30th of August if it will be the case. Thank you anyway!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending