The Student Room Group

Gov & Pol AS Help. 5 markers~

So... I'm doing my AS Level next week, but I didn't realise how difficult it'd be because I decided to focus on my GCSE's more and it's just struck me.

It's a pretty simple question. I just want help with this 5 mark question to see if there's too much writing, too little, unnecessary info, etc. It would be brilliant if someone could help...

What is meant by legitimacy?
My answer: Legitimacy is the term referred to the characteristics that give an institution the right to exercise power. So, it's, in simple words, the right to exercise and make laws that will be enforced and obeyed by the public. An institution could be described as legitimate if the government is widely recognised, for example, the UK government is universally recognizsed and could be described as legitimate whereas the legitimacy of the Kosovo government is widely disputed. It is also through the degree in which they have the right to exercise power. There could be coercion, political power or influence. Legitimacy, in a democratic world, is usually conferred through elections. For example, the UK government can be said to lack legitimacy as the government is elected from the minority of a national vote.

Thanks~ :colondollar: xD
Reply 1
I'm in year 12 doing the Unit 1 Gov&Pol and this is v. good!

It isn't too much writing.. just as long as you keep it strictly to 5 minutes and you outline a few examples...perfect!
Reply 2
Original post by zedaa
I'm in year 12 doing the Unit 1 Gov&Pol and this is v. good!

It isn't too much writing.. just as long as you keep it strictly to 5 minutes and you outline a few examples...perfect!

HI! i havent really revised my unit 2 AS level for gov and pol and im freaking out! any revision tips you can offer? im really scared for this.thanks.
For the 5 mark questions I would say explicitly explain the meaning of the term in a few sentences and then bring in one or two examples or key people. Nothing more than that honestly. Just explain and use it and you will get 4/5 marks everytime :smile:
Your answer looked really good. I'd never heard of the Kovoso government thing before though, so maybe that's not needed?
Reply 5
Original post by AboveTheLine
Your answer looked really good. I'd never heard of the Kovoso government thing before though, so maybe that's not needed?

Yeah, I agree.
..and if you are going to mention another country, at least try to directly link to the UK government as that's what examiners are looking for.
Reply 6
Original post by vat27
HI! i havent really revised my unit 2 AS level for gov and pol and im freaking out! any revision tips you can offer? im really scared for this.thanks.

I'd say, collect a ton of examples for each topic.. and then perhaps make essay plans.
It may sound boring, but essay plans can really help you to get your head round the difficult questions that may come up
Reply 7
Original post by zedaa
I'd say, collect a ton of examples for each topic.. and then perhaps make essay plans.
It may sound boring, but essay plans can really help you to get your head round the difficult questions that may come up

Thats quite a helpfull tip actually,thank you! i must stat printing the past papers
From looking through past papers, there seems to be a wide variety of 5 markers that tend to get asked. Sometimes they simply ask you to define a key term whilst other times they ask you to give two examples of something etc.

For the define questions, the mark schemes seem to say it's best to try and give a short but precise and accurate definition of what they are asking about. Then expand on this by explaining how this may be seen or might take place. Then bring it into the real world by describing a certain institution which conforms or does not conform to these standards.

For the explain how this takes place or give examples of this type questions, try and give 2 good points. This is because the mark scheme on these questions say give 1 mark for 1 point and give 3 marks for 1 point which is well explained. Therefore give 2 clear answers which demonstrate your understanding and apply real world examples.

In my opinion the 5 markers are potentially the hardest part of the essay as you need to be accurate and precise with your definitions whilst expanding upon them and giving real life examples. But you must do all this within 5 minutes, therefore make sure you are "precise" and don't keep going on as I'm doing right now :wink:
I just did 4 5-markers, marked myself, and got 3/5 on every single one. Sigh.

EDIT: I have now amassed a collection of 25 A4 pages of marked answers, the majority of which are Unit 1. You can't say I haven't revised... but I haven't really 'learnt' anything. It all comes off the top of my head!!!
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending